Rake Treeline Command (fire from point A to point B)

I would love to see a command added to Combat Mission that is similar to the linear artillery command.  It would tell your automatic weapons unit to fire from point A to point B such as along a tree line.  Used to suppress enemy ambushers.  Is this tactic not used in RL combat?

I often use 'the tank dance' when I'm brassing up fixed defences.....Target Briefly 15secs/Pause 15secs, Move 1m, Target Briefly 15secs/Pause 15secs, Reverse 1m, Target Briefly 15secs/Pause 15secs, Move 1m, etc. etc. until either all the targets, or my tank, are dead!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I often use 'the tank dance' when I'm brassing up fixed defences.....Target Briefly 15secs/Pause 15secs, Move 1m, Target Briefly 15secs/Pause 15secs, Reverse 1m, Target Briefly 15secs/Pause 15secs, Move 1m, etc. etc. until either all the targets, or my tank, are dead!  ;)

You can also move the waypoints on top of the units position and they won't move.

3 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

If you stack waypoints, the most recent one created is the one that will be selected if they are stacked. But yes, it is fiddly.

This is a bad short tutorial which I've just created. 

very good vidéo!
it works all the better when the squads are divided !!!
on the other hand it does not work for the tanks the pause crash

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

Useful tutorial GF.  

Thanks.

58 minutes ago, Falaise said:

very good vidéo!
it works all the better when the squads are divided !!!

Yes, with this technique it works better with split squads to minimize the amount of movement. A squad which is spread across 2 action squares will see more movement.

With tanks it works better with the move orders a short distance either in front or behind the first waypoint due to how their waypoints work - they don't use action squares as such, unlike infantry.

Edited by Grey_Fox

1 hour ago, Falaise said:

Yes, that is what I thought.  Vehicle waypoints on top of each other simply get "absorbed".  (IIRC: If vehicular waypoints are too close together they are ignored by the system.)  So the clarification is that this technique will only work for infantry.

On 11/13/2021 at 11:20 PM, Probus said:

I would love to see a command added to Combat Mission that is similar to the linear artillery command.  It would tell your automatic weapons unit to fire from point A to point B such as along a tree line.  Used to suppress enemy ambushers.  Is this tactic not used in RL combat?

I would love to see a Formation QUICK/HUNT/ASSAULT command that is similar to the linear artillery command. Double click a platoon or split squad HQ, draw the objective/phase line, select speed, and watch them (try to) execute using the same TacAI the AI uses. Fewer clicks!

3 minutes ago, LongLeftFlank said:

watch them (try to) execute using the same TacAI the AI uses.

I concur doing a battalion size battle in which you repeat over and over again the same drill. Would it be possible to record a sequence safe it, select an other unit and let it carry out the same action again. 

2 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

I concur doing a battalion size battle in which you repeat over and over again the same drill. Would it be possible to record a sequence safe it, select an other unit and let it carry out the same action again. 

I wonder if you could use the shift select and grab all the units you want to issue that command to, then plot the command for one of them. It should plot for all of them. Would be tricky though. 

On 11/14/2021 at 1:14 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That was my recollection too (hence 'The Tank Dance').

So I fire my tank move forward or back just a bit then fire again, rinse and repeat. It sometimes requires that I plot a point away from the tank and drag it back. That’s how I get around it being absorbed. 

15 minutes ago, Probus said:

So I fire my tank move forward or back just a bit then fire again, rinse and repeat. It sometimes requires that I plot a point away from the tank and drag it back. That’s how I get around it being absorbed. 

Yes, that's the only way I know for vehicles.

39 minutes ago, Probus said:

I wonder if you could use the shift select and grab all the units you want to issue that command to, then plot the command for one of them. It should plot for all of them. Would be tricky though. 

I do something like that for convoys. But what I was looking for is to record an action like we do with a video player. Then by selecting a new unit we could make it do the same action with one mouse click. Like organizing a convoy, or make a company of tanks advance in concert.