Saving in progress PBEM file?

After having played the game for more than a decade, I should know this (and I'm afraid the answer is No) - but is there a way to save a PBEM file while working on the turn and then re-open and continue giving orders? Just starting 'Studienka', and it seems it can be challenging doing a full turn in the limited time period I often have available...

Yes, you can open the file, move several units around, save it, and come back to it later (I've done this in the past a few times)....Just need to rename the PBEM Game File each time you do it (thou, I think the computer will automagically do it for you). Just make sure to delete the older and keep the later version each time so you wont get confused.

This is easy to reproduce by starting a PBEM Hotseat against yourself to see how it works.

Edited by JoMac

Absolutely you can. When you save you create a .bts file. When you hit the BRB the game creates an .ema file. The .ema file is what you want to send to your opponent. The turn counter will automatically up the number by default so if you save without doing anything else the file will look just like the incoming .ema file in the game's UI but with one higher number. This can be confusing but is not harmful.

It hurts my brain trying to keep it all straight. Here is what I do to keep things sorted in my mind: If I'm giving orders in a PBEM game and I want to save I type "_save" at the end of the file name. This gives me an entry like this "Quick Battle Cat vs Other 012_save". I can clearly see that this is going to be my turn 12 to send to my opponent and I have saved it during my orders. If I need to save again I just let the system automatically add its number which gives me "Quick Battle Cat vs Other 012_save 001" in the UI. Once I am done and press the BRB I just delete the last 9 characters and let the game generate the file "Quick Battle Cat vs Other 012.ema" and send the turn off to my opponent.