Noob question on Invasion at Gela Campaign - Bridge Assault

I'm trying to follow along with the tutorial in the CMFI manual, and have also watched a YouTube video of the scenario. I send my scout team and sniper team down towards the overwatch position, but no matter how I try and get there, even using Slow, the teams get spotted and start taking casualties. I've place a short cover arc on both teams so I'm confident they're not firing.

Neither team is able to get a positive spot on any German units.

If I send the platoon that arrives down to the fenceline/vineyard/trees next to the overwatch position, again they get spotted and hammered but no units are able to even get a line of fire so they are unable to fire back. I can't even set an area fire target for them. I see grayed out potential spots but none of my troops can target them.

My HQ unit in the observation point can see virtually everything, but as far as I can tell, there's no way to get that information to the troops.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Alistair

Edited by alogie

4 minutes ago, alogie said:

I'm trying to follow along with the tutorial in the CMFI manual, and have also watched a YouTube video of the scenario. I send my scout team and sniper team down towards the overwatch position, but no matter how I try and get there, even using Slow, the teams get spotted and start taking casualties. I've place a short cover arc on both teams so I'm confident they're not firing.

Neither team is able to get a positive spot on any German units.

If I send the platoon that arrives down to the fenceline/vineyard/trees next to the overwatch position, again they get spotted and hammered but no units are able to even get a line of fire so they are unable to fire back. I can't even set an area fire target for them. I see grayed out potential spots but none of my troops can target them.

My HQ unit in the observation point can see virtually everything, but as far as I can tell, there's no way to get that information to the troops.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Alistair

Is this the first battle of the tutorial campaign? IIRC I didn't get very far down the right flank without the scouts getting spotted by the Italians and taking casualties so sounds like you're doing things fine. Their job is to uncover enemy positions so you can use that info to plan the attack when the reinforcements arrive, and they certainly did that so job done.

I'd take the cover arcs off though so they can shoot back if the opportunity arises and also don't try and advance them when under fire as they will always be outnumbered, either have them stop where they are or SLOW into the nearest cover (behind a wall, into the vineyard etc). If you give them a turn or two without moving, and especially if they continue to take fire, they will eventually get at least a sound contact so you can see where they're shooting from.

So you're doing fine, it's war and your troops will take casualties.

MMM

Just to provide a quick update. I discovered I wasn't zooming in far enough to inconclusive spots to find the Area Fire targets. Once I got that working I was much more successful at suppressing the enemy troops. After that, things got a lot easier!

Alistair