Can't start a PBEM @4.03

JoMac

We just start started playing our first game, and ended-up going through the procedure twice (to see if it happens again...once was a QB, and next a Scenario), and both times his game file doesn't show up in my game.

Edited by JoMac

How are you transferring the files back and forth, simply as attachments to emails or via DropBox or some other file sharing service ?

Typically it shouldn't be necessary (and it adds a bit more work to the whole process), but you can possibly have your opponent zip or compress their turn (with separate compression software, such as 7zip, etc.) before sending it to you and see if that makes any sort of difference. You will, of course, have to decompress that file before bringing it into the game.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

Think he was probably the 2nd person ever I had issues with PBEM...We are using Dropbox. I wonder if it might matter if he is using a Mac vs my PC, or that I have all the Modules and he might not ? (need to ask him about that), thou it probably doesn't matter.

Ok, going to Zip files back n forth via Dropbox and see what happens.

Thanks, Schrullenhaft

10 minutes ago, JoMac said:

I have all the Modules and he might not ? (need to ask him about that)

That might matter.  Which battle are you playing, or trying to play 🤪?  I think you don't necessarily need the btt file to play as the second player, but you probably do need the module content if a module's content is part of the battle.

So you got past the password stage(s) or not that far?

Edited by Vacilllator

My only guess is that it may have been a 'content issue' where the scenario or an unit in the QB is from a module that your opponent doesn't have. However I was under the impression that as long as one player had a license for the material and both opponents are on the same version (using an all-in-one installer so that all resources files are present on both sides) that it should have worked.

On 10/4/2021 at 4:13 PM, JoMac said:

.....or that I have all the Modules and he might not ? (need to ask him about that), thou it probably doesn't matter.

Thanks, Schrullenhaft

My first thought when reading your post was that you might not both have both have the same content. If you're playing a Quick Battle, for instance, and select a unit available in Market Garden, the battle will only be playable for him if he has Market Garden too. I would suspect that before Mac vs Windows or how the files are being exchanged.

Ok, I asked him and It turns out he purchased CMBN 4.0 Big-Bundle (all content) and I purchased everything as well, but in stages as they came out over the years.

In any case, I gave him the Original Scenario from the game (that I modified by taking out all the units and placing new ones) to put in his Scenario folder to start the PBEM game, and I was finally able to see that file in my game.   

Edited by JoMac