Arena APS modeling -- only 4 cartridges?

Pelican Pal

I have been running a number of tests of the different APS systems and while working on Arena have only ever been able to trigger 4 intercepts off a single tank. This includes fire from all angles. Everything I've read rates the Arena to have between 20 and 30 cartridges. Is CM not modeling Arena correctly, have I run into a bug, or is my information incorrect?

Niether. The APS modelling in the game models the system as one thing not a multi segment system. So, to compensate for that they limited the system to four cartridges (assuming you have the correct terminology because I have no idea). It's not perfect but clearly having 20 to 30 actuations from shots fired from one side would not be appropriate either without modelling the multi segments and areas of coverage there has to be some abstraction as a compromise.

Thanks Ian, the Black Sea manual says precious little about APS so i've been running tests to figure out exactly how they operated.

So far I've identified that:

Trophy
- Maximum 4 intercepts (360 degrees)
- Intercepts Javelin
- Intercepts TOW-2

Zaslon
- Maximum 4 intercepts (270 degrees from front)
- Maximum 2 intercepts(90 degrees from rear)
- Intercepts Javelin
- Intercepts TOW-2

Zaslon's intercept is unique in that it does have segments
Untitled.png

Arena
-
Maximum 4 intercepts (360 degree)
- Will not intercept Javelins
- Also seems poor at engaging TOW-2

I doubt we're going to see any patches for Black Sea again, but if we do, it would be nice to increase the Arena cartridge count from 4 to at least 6. Since that would better represent its strengths (more intercepts) compared to Zaslon/Trophy while still maintaining its weakness to Javelins. As an aside I suspect Zaslon/Trophy should not be intercepting Javelins as readily as they do but there isn't a ton of info on it.

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

In RL the vehicle may be taking fire from one arc.

So the vehicle will correctly intercept projectiles in a 360 degree circle. It just operates closer to Zaslon/Trophy than Arena. Actually its fairly close to the new Arena-M which has 8 charges (4 per side) rather than the old Arena.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 12:12 PM, Pelican Pal said:

Thanks Ian, the Black Sea manual says precious little about APS so i've been running tests to figure out exactly how they operated.

So far I've identified that:

Trophy
- Maximum 4 intercepts (360 degrees)
- Intercepts Javelin
- Intercepts TOW-2

Zaslon
- Maximum 4 intercepts (270 degrees from front)
- Maximum 2 intercepts(90 degrees from rear)
- Intercepts Javelin
- Intercepts TOW-2

Zaslon's intercept is unique in that it does have segments
Untitled.png

Arena
-
Maximum 4 intercepts (360 degree)
- Will not intercept Javelins
- Also seems poor at engaging TOW-2

I doubt we're going to see any patches for Black Sea again, but if we do, it would be nice to increase the Arena cartridge count from 4 to at least 6. Since that would better represent its strengths (more intercepts) compared to Zaslon/Trophy while still maintaining its weakness to Javelins. As an aside I suspect Zaslon/Trophy should not be intercepting Javelins as readily as they do but there isn't a ton of info on it.

So the vehicle will correctly intercept projectiles in a 360 degree circle. It just operates closer to Zaslon/Trophy than Arena. Actually its fairly close to the new Arena-M which has 8 charges (4 per side) rather than the old Arena.

+1  Interesting stuff.  I hope you post more of your findings.