Infantry barracks in Paderborn

StieliAlpha

9 hours ago, Combatintman said:

I wonder if all of the German WW2 tanks in perfect running order in tunnels under the parade squares of those camps survived 😉.  For those not in the know - this was a common myth bandied around about practically every single sizable barracks that was inherited by the UK from the ... ahem ... former German regime.

With us Yanks it was perfectly functioning Bf 109's and FW 190's in tunnels under Geissen Depot.

22 hours ago, Combatintman said:

I wonder if all of the German WW2 tanks in perfect running order in tunnels under the parade squares of those camps survived 😉.  For those not in the know - this was a common myth bandied around about practically every single sizable barracks that was inherited by the UK from the ... ahem ... former German regime.

Well, we soon shall know, I understand, the whole area shall be converted into a housing area.🤓

Or are the tanks hidden under the tank barracks, east of the city?

But interesting, I grew up right next to the infantry barracks and never heard that myth in 25 years….

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 7:45 PM, StieliAlpha said:

To all BAOR guys in the forum, who may have served there: I just heard from my sister, that the infantry barracks in Paderborn have been completely knocked down, except for a few historical buildings.

Hi, I'm actually living in Paderborn. Unfortunately that's true. They removed the majority of the buildings except some of the older ones. The biggest part of the area belongs to an IT company now (DSpace). At least the other barracks area is still intact as far as I know.