I have a CD Rom copy of CMBN, can I download the game files and use the CD Key I got in the box?

nathangun

I think you should be able to use the CD key. I have CMBN, CMFI and CMRT CD versions but I never even unpacked the CD so it should work just fine with the downloaded installer.

Yes, you can also install it on your laptop, I do the same. You should be able to have at least 2 active installations before it complains.

As others have pointed out, yes, you can install the download version and use your CD-based license key. However, as Redwolf pointed out, what exact product is that license key for ? If this is the original 1.0 version of CMBN, then the license key is useless for a CMBN 4.x installation. For that you would need at a minimum the 4.0 Upgrade and the 3.0 Upgrade license keys in order to activate the base game. The 1.x or 2.x Upgrade license keys would not be needed and would not be recognized. If you were to install a CMBN 3.x installation, then the 2.0 Upgrade and the 3.0 Upgrade license keys would be needed.

Installing and activating (or attempting to activate) the CMBN 1.x installer/license key will NOT work under Windows 10 since the copy-protection system for that version does not work with Windows 10 (Version 2.x or possibly 3.x would be the minimum that would work with Windows 10).

Unless your purchase of the CMBN base game was at version 3.x or 4.x (or it was a Commonwealth/CMBN bundle), then YOU DO NOT NEED THE v. 1.0 LICENSE KEY. If your purchase of CMBN was a 'pre-order' or a 'download + mail delivery', then the license key was emailed to you and/or it is listed with your purchase in your Battlefront Store account (you'll need to find the order, which may be pretty old). The only items that got a printed license key were the 'mail delivery only' copies (I assume that is still the case).

Edited by Schrullenhaft

3 hours ago, nathangun said:

Opened my CMBN box, alas the CD Key is missing.

dkBwAIK.jpg

As Shrullenhaft said, if you don't see the key in the CD case it will be in your account.

That said, the case that you have a picture of is from the tin box that came with pre-orders for CMBN. That disk is Game Engine 1. Game Engine 1 will not run on Windows 10. So, if you have Windows and don't have any of the Upgrades you will need to purchase at least the 3.0 Upgrade. Also, if you already have Upgraded to Game Engine 4 or 3 you should use those downloads to install the game. They are all-in-one full game installers and will install the base and every module, Pack, Upgrade and patch through the most recent version.

If you have any trouble with this please open a Help Desk ticket. I can look up your purchase history and give you the exact answer that you need.