RPG accuracy - place your bets!

Bufo

Looking at the original screenshot we may be looking at a bit of a hull-down position for the Bradley. There's an intervening gentle rise of the road, exacerbated by the firer laying (lying?) prone. If he was firing while kneeling that might have been just enough of a height difference to do the trick.

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Looking at the original screenshot we may be looking at a bit of a hull-down position for the Bradley. There's an intervening gentle rise of the road, exacerbated by the firer laying (lying?) prone. If he was firing while kneeling that might have been just enough of a height difference to do the trick.

I saw that too.  It is why I built a 1m berm in that test scenario, it gave the Bradley a partial hull down.  Might be interesting to see what a 2m berm does.

18 hours ago, The_Capt said:

I saw that too.  It is why I built a 1m berm in that test scenario, it gave the Bradley a partial hull down.  Might be interesting to see what a 2m berm does.

Or we could not worry that the coin is broken because someone reported having managed to get 10 heads in a row. 🙂

Unusual an unlikely things do actually happen. I have no problem checking things like this out - obviously that's how bugs get found. Just know when its not needed any more.

The other factor could be the intervening foliage - avoiding hitting branches could be causing the shooter to not adjust their aim the same if they were in the open.

48 minutes ago, IanL said:

Or we could not worry that the coin is broken because someone reported having managed to get 10 heads in a row. 🙂

Unusual an unlikely things do actually happen. I have no problem checking things like this out - obviously that's how bugs get found. Just know when its not needed any more.

The other factor could be the intervening foliage - avoiding hitting branches could be causing the shooter to not adjust their aim the same if they were in the open.

Fair points, I am kinda past the whole shock-factor “game is broken” thing…it isn’t, in fact it might be working too well.  Now I am just curious how deep they actually went on this.  For example, found out during development that the game model moon phases at night which varies visibility.  So I am betting that AoA and partial cover are modelled as well…but how much?  If I can get time I may explore…time away from building TO&Es that is.

2 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

Fair points, I am kinda past the whole shock-factor “game is broken” thing…it isn’t,

Me too

2 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

in fact it might be working too well.  Now I am just curious how deep they actually went on this.  For example, found out during development that the game model moon phases at night which varies visibility.

There are some really cool things buried in the games' code.

The problem with determining in game RPG-7 accuracy is that the RL data is all over the map. It ranges from Russian claims that it was a garanteed 1-2 shot kill at 300 meters down to the U.S. Army estimates that in a typical battlefield situation 1st shot hit probability on a hulldown M-60 might be as low as 15%. Based on conflicting or missing data, BFC's approach is to make a best guess estimate. Based on the quick tests run by TheCapt, in game accuracy seems to be within the expected results.