Just Finished My First Campaign Totally Hooked on Red Thunder

Simcoe

I just finished the training campaign. I know it's not very impressive but this was my first Combat Mission and I was very intimidated by the huge maps and scale.

I played a lot of scenarios in SF2 and Battle for Normandy and decided to give this another try. After finishing the last mission I realized I had never actually finished a campaign before

I really like the tactics this campaign teaches you.

• Using scouts on short target arcs to learn about the terrain and enemy (key since the Russians are so focused on set piece maneuvers with artillery)
  • Array your forces without alerting the enemy
  • Coordinating support fires
  • Planning out set piece maneuvers

For the final mission I used every last artillery round and smoke on the village and charged my forces over the open field with infantry riding on tanks. After I got my infantry in the gorge next to the village it was just a matter of fire and maneuver to finish off the Germans.

Do you recommend the Russian campaign Hammer's Flank next? Also, does anyone know of a noob friendly German campaign. Every one that I've seen seem to be geared toward advanced players.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share.

45 minutes ago, Simcoe said:

noob friendly German campaign.

Blunting the Spear is the only German Campaign in the original RT. Learn the administration is a game in itself. Just read something from an advanced player. They played a huge battle in FB and it took them a year of H&H. Take your time is all I can say. 

I think that by "Administration" he is referring to using the "A" button on the UI. It enables us to break our squads down into a variety of teams. And it does take some time to find the right combinations that best suit the situations that you face in a particular battle. 

Speaking from personal experience I really enjoyed "Blunting the Spear". It is a great introduction to playing as the Germans in Red Thunder. 

There are quite a few user made campaigns and scenarios out there that are reportedly excellent, I only bought RT myself last summer as I was waiting for Fire and Rubble to drop but got too impatient., so I have downloaded lots but haven't played them yet. Ostfront is my fave.

I'm currently working my way through the "To Berlin" scenario from the F&R module and it's none too tough in the early stages but I'm sure that will change as we get nearer to Berlin. Nice mix of open country and urban warfare and some night fighting too!

This post links to some user made campaigns, I think I have all of these installed: 

MMM

4 hours ago, Simcoe said:

Also, what do you mean by the administration?

Your workflow when you play the game. Finding and keeping formations.

Administration.jpg

Administration-B.jpg

Administration-C.jpg

Administration-D.jpg

Administration-E.jpg

Administration-F.jpg

Aware of the situation and have a method by which you can locate each and every unit. Also organize your horizontal (Outside your Radio C2) and vertical (Inside Your Radio C2) communication.

Edited by chuckdyke

Blunting the Spear is one of the best campaigns in Combat Mission, any title, as far as I am concerned. but it's massive and definitely not noob friendly.

For me one of the best campaigns for new players is Task Force Raff in CMBN.  It's an excellent primer scenario that gives the player a taste of bocage without feeling restricted, plus attack and defend missions on very nice maps. Time limits are generous, allowing plenty of time to scout, recon and maneuver without feeling rushed. Reinforcements are also generous, and you get a real feel for combined arms and using off board artillery. The lavish tank strength eventually on hand allows for some setbacks without losing momentum, making it an ideal scenario for new players (and vets too!).

13 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Firstly, the OP is asking about Red Thunder.

Are you certain of this?

On 9/16/2021 at 1:22 AM, Simcoe said:

I have all the Combat Mission games so if you know of a noob friendly campaign from any of them it's greatly appreciated.

Thanks anyway.

Edited by landser

On 9/16/2021 at 12:24 PM, Simcoe said:

I just finished the training campaign. I know it's not very impressive but this was my first Combat Mission and I was very intimidated by the huge maps and scale.

I played a lot of scenarios in SF2 and Battle for Normandy and decided to give this another try. After finishing the last mission I realized I had never actually finished a campaign before

I really like the tactics this campaign teaches you.

• Using scouts on short target arcs to learn about the terrain and enemy (key since the Russians are so focused on set piece maneuvers with artillery)
  • Array your forces without alerting the enemy
  • Coordinating support fires
  • Planning out set piece maneuvers

For the final mission I used every last artillery round and smoke on the village and charged my forces over the open field with infantry riding on tanks. After I got my infantry in the gorge next to the village it was just a matter of fire and maneuver to finish off the Germans.

Do you recommend the Russian campaign Hammer's Flank next? Also, does anyone know of a noob friendly German campaign. Every one that I've seen seem to be geared toward advanced players.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share.

Original Russian campaign in CMRT is notoriously awful.

I don't like German campaign as well.

Really recommend you to play campaigns from the addon Fire and Rubble. Russian and German are great both. 

Unfortunately, training campaign in CMRT is much better than the others. 

17 minutes ago, Ts4EVER said:

Wouldn't call it awful, I have fond memories of it. But it is not a beginner campaign and there are certainly better ones in the series.

Just compare it to a potato and what you need it for. Peel (Is recon): mash it or cut it into chips the choice is yours. The wrong choice makes you to put it away and try again a year later. 

1 hour ago, chuckdyke said:

Why not have a 1000 plane raid and get it done (Mashing) and over it.

This analogy I comprehend.  ;)

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

That would a plant owned by Dan Quayle, would it?

LOL!  :D 

I looked at it twice, 'cos it seemed wrong too.....Spellcheck doesn't work on this browser.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead