Tank crew firing from vehicle - assault guns and opened top

I was looking through the manual for Red Thunder recently had found this tidbit:

Note: Most Soviet assault gun crews are
armed with multiple submachine guns
and carry ample stores of ammunition.
Since these guns lacked machine guns,
the crews can use their submachine guns
for self defense.

I tried getting this to work in a few tests but no luck. What is this referencing? It seems to be saying that crew can use SMG for anti-infantry defense in the same way another tank may use a co-axial or hull MG.

1 hour ago, Pelican Pal said:

I was looking through the manual for Red Thunder recently had found this tidbit:

I tried getting this to work in a few tests but no luck. What is this referencing? It seems to be saying that crew can use SMG for anti-infantry defense in the same way another tank may use a co-axial or hull MG.

I think it means when they dismount. Normally AFV crews are armed only with pistols but these guys tout SMGs, so maybe for self-defence outside of the vehicle? I've never seen them fire them when still mounted.

MMM

2 hours ago, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

Normally AFV crews are armed only with pistols

Have always found that surprising since in RL crews seem to have weapons other than pistols.  It could be that BF always uses the official rosters of equipment rather than what units actually carried in RL.  eg:  RL Stug crews would have a lot more ammo than in the games, as in RL they covered the floor of the compartment with extra shells.

20 hours ago, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

I think it means when they dismount. Normally AFV crews are armed only with pistols but these guys tout SMGs, so maybe for self-defence outside of the vehicle? I've never seen them fire them when still mounted.

Yea, I just found it an odd way of phrasing since MGs cannot be used defensively by dismounted crew and was wondering if I'd been missing something.

Edited by Pelican Pal
additional