CMRT won't run on laptop

Andrew Kulin

Installing CMRT on a laptop before a long trip.  Downloaded and installed the 2.11 installer.  Entered licenses for Fire and Rubble and original CMRT license.  When I try to run game, I get a black screen for a second or two and then back in to Windows.  Loading CMCW there were no install issues and that game appears to run.

Running Kaspersky Total Security. Tried starting game with Kaspersky shut off with same result.

What did I do wrong?

2 hours ago, Andrew Kulin said:

Entered licenses for Fire and Rubble and original CMRT license.

You need the updated RT to be able F&R. The updated RT shows F&R Scenarios Dimmed Grey. By entering the F&R key you will have access to the complete game.

Edited by chuckdyke

As Redwolf was hinting at... You probably need to activate the 4.0 Upgrade license key. CMRT came out as a version 3.0 engine and the Fire & Rubble module requires the 4.0 Upgrade. There's a mild possibility that your base game could already be a 4.0 version (if your purchase of the base game was after the 4.0 Upgrade was released), but from what you're experiencing I would assume not.

I downloaded the 2.11 file on Friday so thinking it was 4.0.  Activated using both my original CMRT key and the CMFR key.  And wasn't the version 4 upgrade to CMRT delayed as part of the CMFR package?  I cannot locate a purchase of version 4 specific to CMRT but I do have version 4 big bundle.  I will give that a try

Switching the integrated GPU off manually may cause issues. I would first try re-enabling the Intel graphics and updating their driver and other OEM drivers, the switching between different GPUs is AFAIK handled by them, then updating the Nvidia GPU drivers, overriding 3D settings in Nvidia control panel to force the game to run via the Nvidia GPU.

Also have a look at the power management settings of the laptop, the laptop might be operating in power saving mode (they usually do) and not realize it should be giving the Nvidia GPU full power when CM is started.

Edited by ZPBII

In the past I've added profiles within the Nvidia Control Panel (3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings tab) for CM games. This should usually get the game to run on the Nvidia hardware when it is launched. However it is interesting that CMCW is running fine and CMRT is having an issue (assuming that you don't have a profile already setup for CMCW).

Have re-enabled Intel Graphics Card.

Have updated Nvidia drivers. 

Have used Nvidia control panel to use the Nvidia 1050 chipset for both CMRT and CMCW.

Have gone into power management and set to Max Perdformance (noting very little in way of options - none seen related to video card itself)

CMRT continues to not load up - same behaviour as originally reported.

2 hours ago, Redwolf said:

I ask again just to be sure. 

Are you absolutely sure you did not start with a 3.0 license? Or in other words are you absolutely sure that your 4.0 key is a full key, not an upgrade key?

My original purchase was in Feb 2014 and is identified as CM Red Thunder - Engine 3. 

I downloaded the CMRT Version 2.11 Update (CMFR) in the past week and installed that on the laptop (fresh install)

I entered license keys for CMFR, CMRT (3.0 engine) and Version 4 upgrade.

My Purchase of CMFR in Jan. 2021 stated:  CMRT Fire and Rubble Module - CMRT-M1V4

When I first tried to run this, all I had entered was the license key I received with the CMFR module purchase.  Then tried it after activating the original license key from 2014 (Version 3).  Then tried after activation of my version 4 upgrade (big bundle).  No joy in any of the scenarios.

Will be opening a ticket and see what happens.

I've had a tough ticket the last couple of days with a guy who just installed Cold War and the game wouldn't launch. We tried the standard things that have been suggested in this thread without any luck. He just told me that this fixed it:

I added the program to steam through there add non-steam product to the library and the only exe it could find was "activate new products - CMCW" I added it and hit play on steam and it came up I activated my key and the game is working fine so far. I can launch it from anywhere now. I have no idea why this works but I was trying so many things so I guess I got lucky. 

I could have gone back and forth with this guy for decades and never come up with that solution. 

4 minutes ago, Erwin said:

I hate loading spy stuff on my systems that send out info.

What, like your web browser?

Or maybe your anti-virus software?

If you think you will get somehow hacked through running Steam, you really might want to uninstall everything from smaller game companies too, because it's likely to be about a couple of hundred times more vulnerable.  :rolleyes:

PS - Do you have any idea what can be hidden in a .bmp file.....Might want to check all those mods you downloaded.  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Set up anti-virus not to load up during boot and that did not work.  So uninstalled CMRT (via Windows Uninstall Software utility which opens up the BFC CMRT uninstall routine).

Installed original version (1.03) and activated - that runs.

Then installed big bundle version for CMRT.  Did not activate with big-bundle key but tried opening game first.  It opened.  Shows 2.11, Game Engine 4 AND shows Fire and Rubble Module icon at lower left of splash screen.  Checked scenarios and Fire and Rubble Scenarios are shown and loadable.  Note that I uninstalled CMRT and re-installed itin sequence described above and had only used my original activation key.  Did not use big bundle key or CMFR key.

I am not going to activate the other two keys as I don't want to mess up something that seems to be working.  Not sure why this worked out this way - maybe the uninstall CMRT process does not remove activation key in formation from somewhere deep inside Windows Registry system, or BFC has made it that my original activation key knows I have purchased everything CMRT up to CMFR.

1 hour ago, Andrew Kulin said:

Set up anti-virus not to load up during boot and that did not work.  So uninstalled CMRT (via Windows Uninstall Software utility which opens up the BFC CMRT uninstall routine).

Installed original version (1.03) and activated - that runs.

Then installed big bundle version for CMRT.  Did not activate with big-bundle key but tried opening game first.  It opened.  Shows 2.11, Game Engine 4 AND shows Fire and Rubble Module icon at lower left of splash screen.  Checked scenarios and Fire and Rubble Scenarios are shown and loadable.  Note that I uninstalled CMRT and re-installed itin sequence described above and had only used my original activation key.  Did not use big bundle key or CMFR key.

I am not going to activate the other two keys as I don't want to mess up something that seems to be working.  Not sure why this worked out this way - maybe the uninstall CMRT process does not remove activation key in formation from somewhere deep inside Windows Registry system, or BFC has made it that my original activation key knows I have purchased everything CMRT up to CMFR.

Uninstalling doesn't remove keys. So you have all keys.

I think that in your previous runs you probably activated 4.0/2.11 and FR but not 3.0/1.03.