Assaulting Tanks with Infantry

When I click on "A" in commands I don't see an Assault option.  Makes sense that you attack from behind but do I then just use the Target command or Armour Target Arc?  When it is my move I will check to see if any of my squads have grenades.  Thanks to everyone for their comments.

10 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Put a 30m 360 degree armor covered arc and get them within that range and they will chuck away. No need to target.

This!

Get them to within grenade chucking range and they'll handle the rest. No need to target. I don't even bother with a TA if there are no other nearby contacts likely to distract them.

11 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Put a 30m 360 degree armor covered arc and get them within that range and they will chuck away.

Ack - don't do this! If they have an armour cover arc they will not defend themselves from anything that pops up. Plus don't force them to not fire or attack at 30m or less range just let them do their thing. Yes, you have to get them close, yes closer than 30m but why restrict them?

11 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

No need to target.

This

41 minutes ago, IanL said:

Ack - don't do this! If they have an armour cover arc they will not defend themselves from anything that pops up. Plus don't force them to not fire or attack at 30m or less range just let them do their thing. Yes, you have to get them close, yes closer than 30m but why restrict them?

It's been my experience that not using the CA means the troops will not attack the AFV in a reasonably significant percentage of encounters.

I know it limits defense, but if you're tank hunting, that's the focus for the team/squad in question, so the risk is worth it over not attacking the tank, imho.

4 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

it limits defense, but if you're tank hunting, that's the focus for the team/squad in question, so the risk is worth it over not attacking the tank, imho.

Yeah...   that's the way I do it as well.  One should have other inf units covering the tank hunter team's back vs any enemy inf.

On 8/24/2021 at 10:59 AM, Vergeltungswaffe said:

It's been my experience that not using the CA means the troops will not attack the AFV in a reasonably significant percentage of encounters.

Interesting. I have not experienced that at all. My guys sometimes attack AFVs, they never use an armoured cover arc, sometimes they die, sometimes they succeed. I have not noticed a lack of desire to take out the tank.

Edited by IanL
grammar

55 minutes ago, IanL said:

Interesting. I have not experience that at all. My guys sometimes attack AFVs, they never use an armoured cover arc, sometimes they die, sometimes they succeed. I have not noticed a lack of desire to take out the tank.

Same here. I believe it's more important to be in close proximity (1-2 action spots aka within 16m) than using a TA. Bonus, if they can get close and remain in cover terrain.

Needless to say that morale and experience plays a role also...

12 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Didn't know about this thanks Chuck 

Before you go rushing in, I suspect this StugIII was damaged by some T34/85's. Rather than risking this vehicle I left the cleaning up to the sappers. But a destroyed vehicle adds up to your tally.