Ideas for a future, most probably the final pack ever for CMFI. The "Ci Vediamo Dopo" Pack (Farewell/See you later!)

These are kohlenklau's selfish ideas for what he would want in the "CMFI Ci Vediamo Dopo pack".

I appreciate the BFC principle players time, the time of the BFC second echelon folks and the time of the BETA testers. I would not want any new TOE's, scenarios or campaigns to hold up the release of this pack.

A good sifting through and gathering of previously developed material in the other titles but not in CMFI would be very cost-effective. Think outside the box. Send it ALL. Anti-tank rifles from CMRT for example. 

But the pack needs a vision or 2 of what it might "allow" for the community after it is released.

To me this #1 vision would be better ability to portray Pre-Husky events. That means British vs Italians (pre-DAK), then golden years of DAK, Crete, and finally Torch-Husky timeframe. The old double-turret Grant technical hurdle took until CMAK to solve, maybe it would not get to us. It would be awesome if it did.

Can the dropdown menus in the editor be "unlocked" so to speak? Can we have the date range go from September 1939 to May 1945? I am sure the answer is yes, but how many man-hours and what hassles does it cause? I don't know. I am asking for lobster on my pizza. You're the waiter or cook, YOU just please tell me how much it costs. 

Some amount of BETA testing is needed. I officially volunteer!

I will update this thread as I develop a list of specifically what I see as fruit able to be plucked and gathered from other titles. 

Ci Vediamo Dopo!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have been mulling this over. Nobody commented so please comment if you feel like I do. Or voice your own choices. In this thread is fine. Politely criticize my choices is AOK with me.

I will use the CMBN Vehicle Pack as a template. What BFC already has done might seem doable again to them.

The CMBN Vehicle Pack was/is $20 for 19 vehicles, 5 bunkers and 3 backpack flamethrowers. Nothing else. It was already in the download so I suppose it was part of a game engine upgrade or patch release? I forget. So, maybe a similar CMFI Vehicle Pack would need the labor of the download creation and other testing. Sure. So, make it $30?

oh boy oh boy. Now this is like 1972 and looking at the Sears catalog before Christmas!

Some of this 3D modelling is already out there in the other titles but some would be new stuff. New work by Casio Lima studios and the BFC art staff. A sincere salute to those guys!

I will just start rattling off stuff and edit this post as time allows.

I honestly think mostly North Africa, right. But this can be Greece, Crete, maybe a quasi-France if modded, maybe Italians vs French before Torch? Free French tackling the Germans after Torch? 

VEHICLES

1. Panzer II Ausf F

We already have the running gear of the PzII from the Marder, and we have the 2cm KwK 30 autocannon from some of the armored cars SdKfz 232. So give us a PzIIF. I guess the F. Right?

2. Panzer III Ausf F early and late

This would give us a PzIII with the 37mm and then with the short 50mm. If we get a similar CMRT Dasvidaniya Comrades final vehicle pack for earlier Ost Front, then this work (and other stuff on this wish list) gets utilized again for their sales/profits/bottomline/businessmen smoking cigars stuff. 🙂 

3. PzIV Ausf D/E/F1 with short barrel 75

4. Stug III Ausf C with short barrel 75

5. British Crusader Tank or other Cruiser tanks

6. British Vickers MkVIB Light Tank

7. earlier version of British armoured cars with AT rifle

8. Valentine for western desert, MkI?

9. MATILDA! Queen of the Desert

10. Italian M13/40

11. That funky German vehicle, captured Soviet AT guns on a half-track chassis, "Diana?"

12. Some cool desert vehicle for personnel transport or towing Pak38's...

13. GRANT TANK!!!!

14. some French vehicles from CMBN, oooh lala

15 Sherman II with sandskirts

16 earlier Honeys, Stuart I and II with the cool commander's box thingy, with sandskirts

17 the Panzer I    ?

18 25 pounder as a deployable gun on the map! the QF 2 pounder also! and the 37mm Pak for German army not just FJ.

19 and a smoke and a pancake

BUNKERS:

Some kind of cool desert bunker thingy, metadata to not quite be concrete, I don't know. Tobruk bunker I think it was called?

A few cool flavor objects for North Africa? Go Ben!!!

INSTEAD OF FLAMETHROWERS:

1. bring over from CMRT the tiny 50mm mortar for the Germans

2. German and British and Italian anti-tank rifles

3. French MAS36 rifle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Christmas Christmas Christmas

Edited by kohlenklau

Some thoughts on the Grant/Lee...

I suffer from CMISD, I think I joked and called it that, CM Info Saturation Disorder. Playing the WW2 titles and getting mixed up on what is available when and where. A couple weeks back I am trying to do some North Africa stuff and trying to bring the PzIIIG from CMRT F&R over to CMFI. It already was in CMFI! 

Like with rarity, I think it would be great to just have a switch that says, show me everything! 

Well, CMISD also hit me when I was in the editor and stumbled upon the Churchill I. A 2 pounder in the turret and a 3 inch gun in the bow. I had used a Churchill III for a Halfaya Pass scenario. I think the Churchill I would be better. But anyway, the point is that the multliple gun thingy seems already semi-solved. The Grant should be no big insurmountable deal to model. 7 man crew! The Lee would be another effort that could be ported to CMRT Dasvidaniya Comrades final vehicle pack for earlier Ost Front, then this work (and other stuff on the above wish list) gets utilized again for their sales/profits/bottomline/businessmen smoking cigars stuff.  

...somewhat interlinked to my shameless grovelling is one other thing I wanted to puke out to start a discussion where I might learn something...

I will ping on folks who might actually know and have a moment to comment off the record (turns off tape recorder).... @benpark @MikeyD

So, what is the future or next generation for 3D modelling? Specifically, are these models used in CMX2 titles, are they all obsolete when a future CMX3 or game engine 5 is developed? Are they chucked out as archaic technology like CMBO/CMBB/CMAK 3D models could not be taken onward to CMBN/etc?

I guess if the answer is no, no, they are not obsolete, then that means that new 3D work for CMFI is not wasted effort for future BFC work. Correct or incorrect?

I do not know what really is meant with game engine 5 or CMX3. We have had game engine go from 2 to 3 to 4 and the 3D models are all still the same stuff AFAIK.

Wow, If the answer is yes, then what is the next gen of 3D modelling? Our pixeltruppen now have animations but we don't see eyes squinting and blinking, we don't see mouth moving as voices are heard. I am not saying that is something that turns me on. What is the future anticipated capability in the 3D world? More polygons for more rendered detail as PC's get more powerful? So, these current 3D models down the line in the future will they be seen like we now view back at the CMBO clunky tanks and troops (in retrospect!).

Ooh what a tough question Kohl, I hope you solicit a response from someone in the know, wink, wink, know what I mean, say no more ...

But in lieu of that here's my tuppence ha'penny worth ...

Having spent quite a bit of time over the last few month deep in the quagmire that is Blender and mdr files it's become pretty obvious that there are some real physical limitations in the current engine that will never be overcome as is. No matter what we do (us modders) there's a limit with only a lot of out-of-box-thinking by folks like yourself and @Sgt.Squarehead  @37mm @JM Stuff and @Aquila-SmartWargames amongst others that produces anything new and surprising.

So would a new engine include the current models - it probably could in that they could be ported but there's a question of expectations to manage, would anyone really want them to be ported? They're already decried as dated and ugly by some, plus the game will need to attract new players going forward whose expectations are different, likely having been reared on a diet of FPS and RPG games with shiny graphics and modern performance. A lot of the physical barriers within the models are about what the engine, that's essentially some ten year old/in the making, can handle AND which were probably put in place at it's conception. I came across what I think is a limit to the number of polygons (actually triangles) that a tree model can have for instance, which is much lower than what many modern 'low poly' models actually contain. So if we move to a modern engine the scope to improve models is likely to be so vast compared to what we have now, that, IMHO, it would be strange not to take advantage of it, but a result of this would be that even our best current mods will look quaint in comparison, as you say, similar to how looking at the old CMx1 games is to us today.

As to what the new engine will be ... it must already have been thought about, and probably decided, if we are to have something within the next three to five years. It might be UnReal but I really don't know how well that supports what CM does so well, it's great for so many platforms and types of game but very few of those that currently exist are anything like CM, mostly just lots of running around shooting stuff. And there's the cost. Although it might be that for models BF could buy in most of the stuff off the shelf since there's so much out there now. Nevertheless it ain't cheap. Or will they stick to proprietary? Gives them full control and might be better from the point of view of certain, huhhum, special customers ... I guess we'll find out in the fullness of time. It do make me hesitate sometimes though when making new mods and stuff - will it all be redundant in a few years when everyone wants the shiny new stuff ...?

I like your shopping list for the CMFI Ci Vediamo Dopo pack just a couple of little edits/suggestions:

12. Some cool desert vehicle for personnel transport or towing Pak38's... think this could include the SdKfz 10 and SdKfz 11 which we already have the chassis for, and we for sure need the SdKfz 7 for shunting those 88's around and perhaps even the Famo ...

And maybe some Bren carriers with AT rifles?

Anyway - yes we'd really like this pack and happy to pay the man for it 🤑

20 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

It do make me hesitate sometimes though when making new mods and stuff - will it all be redundant in a few years when everyone wants the shiny new stuff ...?

Thanks for the comments Mark! I think we should be reassured to continue modding CMX2 stuff because even if CMX3 arrives, it will be a progressive arrival like we have seen with CMX2. I am mostly fine with the detail of CMX2. I do not need cleavage jiggling or chests heaving as people breath! It would be cool to have flares and such. BUT to stay on topic, yes, Brens with AT rifles. etc. I would really pay 40, 50, 60. I guess that sounds dumb but I get tons of replay value especially as I enjoy modding too. The game within a game.

23 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

I do not need cleavage jiggling ...

You're sure about this bit?😉

I think we should be reassured to continue modding CMX2 stuff because even if CMX3 arrives, it will be a progressive arrival like we have seen with CMX2.

Yes, my concerns are only fleeting, heck I still haven't taken the shrink wrap off all the games yet so I'm set for years, so long as I don't see anything too shiny to distract me.

I would really pay 40, 50, 60. I guess that sounds dumb but I get tons of replay value especially as I enjoy modding too. The game within a game.

I don't think this is dumb at all, I only play these games 'cos all the rest become either dull over time or just never satisfy to begin with. That and there's no need for good eye to hand coordination playing WeGo which I can be a bit lacking in sometimes ... 🤓

3 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

12. Some cool desert vehicle for personnel transport or towing Pak38's... think this could include the SdKfz 10 and SdKfz 11 which we already have the chassis for, and we for sure need the SdKfz 7 for shunting those 88's around and perhaps even the Famo ...

Anyway - yes we'd really like this pack and happy to pay the man for it
🤑

gone 🥴😷!

Edited by JM Stuff

2 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

It is ok JM! 😇

All your ideas and questions are good...but better to be for another forum thread! 👍

I saw only ! !

Some cool desert vehicle for personnel transport or towing Pak38's... think this could include the SdKfz 10 and SdKfz 11 which we already have the chassis for, and we for sure need the SdKfz 7 for shunting those 88's around and perhaps even the Famo ...

29 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

Hey JM. This thread is a wish list to BFC to make and sell us a new vehicle pack for CMFI. Official 3D vehicles in the game code. It is not modding or Blender work.

Maybe these bad boys as well ...

qszPiiq.jpg

image.jpeg.2b671b2b040e4ed519b2fcb8d0bb36d6.jpeg
gotta be worth another $ or two

How can anyone not love a bit of desert action with clunky old kit like this to play with?

Edited by Lucky_Strike

2 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

I saw only ! !

Some cool desert vehicle for personnel transport or towing Pak38's... think this could include the SdKfz 10 and SdKfz 11 which we already have the chassis for, and we for sure need the SdKfz 7 for shunting those 88's around and perhaps even the Famo ...

My bad, I do ramble on so ... 💤

I'd love it if your pack could go back a bit further and cover the Italian invasion of Abyssinia.  B)

Jah Rastafari!  :P

But CM would really need hand to hand combat for that to happen.  :unsure:

33 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Those things were rare as rocking-horse s**t!  :o

Plus they really do look like someone emptied a skip out onto a Pz.III!  :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

5 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'd love it if your back could go back a bit further and cover the Italian invasion of Abyssinia.  B)

Jah Rastafari!  :P

But CM would really need hand to hand combat for that to happen.  :unsure:

Those things were rare as rocking-horse s**t!  :o

Plus they really do look like someone emptied a skip out onto a Pz.III!  :D

Hey! That's my ride you're dissing ... now this is a skip being emptied ...

UuGOmkf.jpg
Can you imagine the conversations they had when they first lowered that thing onto the Pz I chassis, look at how tight the tracks are, I reckon it's definitely putting some stress on the suspension ...

Seriously if we want early war these things are a must, though don't think many if any of these made it to NA

UVZwj2V.jpg
I think they realised the profile was a bit on the high side ...

45 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Seriously if we want early war these things are a must, though don't think many if any of these made it to NA

Apparently they made it to Greece in 1941, which pretty much puts them in the frame for @kohlenklau's concept.  B)

1 hour ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Maybe these bad boys as well ...

qszPiiq.jpg

I loved these in CM:BB, hunting T-34s with them was so much fun and they were actually pretty good at it.....So long as the T-34s were looking the other way.  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

25 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

The guy in the back. He looks like he is checking the dipstick. "Down another quart of transmission fluid!"

I thought he was winding up the rubber band!

I like that we can really see the variety of uniform shades here ... right from bleached out hats to khaki and field grey/green, man this lot would make for wonderful modding. @Battlefront.com my wallet is open ...

4 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I loved these in CM:BB, hunting T-34s with them was so much fun and they were actually pretty good at it.....So long as the T-34s were looking the other way.  :ph34r:

The Czech 47mm was a pretty useful AT gun, better than much of what the Heer could field at the time, certainly way better than the 37mm PaK, and look at how tiny that thing is, hide it in a 6x4 garden shed ...