Struggling with the community

Chatting live for hours on end, That is the younger generation.. 

Where somehow no one works, the government pays them to sit at home and they can have nothing better to do.

It is not the retired generation.

Back to the original issue on the topic. Finding good opponents and someone to chat with is not all the easy no matter where you go. 

And the fact is, you can find plenty of jerks along the way. Why, because the world is full of them, it has nothing to do with what forum you are on.

But you can find good people to play against and to discuss the game with and when you do, hang onto them , at least for a while and you will be a happy person.

As mentioned by others , look for active players that you can see are participating in whatever forum you are at.

people that are investing in the community, they will be the type that will do you right

50 minutes ago, slysniper said:

Where somehow no one works, the government pays them to sit at home and they can have nothing better to do.

? Retired are exactly like this.

And they chat endlessly sitting on the porch or going to the shop. Just they find everything new to be difficult.

Edited by Bufo

1 hour ago, slysniper said:

Chatting live for hours on end, That is the younger generation.. 

What the hell? Why would you be so brazenly offensive, for no reason?

does SlySniper actually know any young people?  The ones I know are working their asses off.  And last time I checked, it wasn't the young people who've so massively F-up up the world.  And here we are on a gaming site, dedicated to the fine art of sitting in front of a screen and playing w pixel armymen, and someone is saying OTHERS sit around all day?

This is some of the finest chutzpah I've seen in a while, well done.

Every generation things the next generation is worthless.  There was a ~40 yr old reporter on a boat w a bunch of young people saying how these kids weren't tough enough, were useless, were immature.  Know where that boat was going? -- Tarawa.  Same thing, over & over & over, where previous totally F-up generation thinks the next generation is somehow more totally F-ed up.  How is it older people completely forget what they were like when they themselves were young?  Of course, when I was young all I wanted to do was go to church, do chores, and study.  Didn't want to party at all.  Or play computer wargames.

We're leaving the next generation  a really F-ing mess, so we have no room to criticize anyone.

well, I will apologize to those young forum members that do not fill this statement as to its qualifications. And are working and doing something productive

But for all those that do, I have no need to, any person, no matter the age, which has the desire for the government to take care of them and want to do nothing to help mankind progress on by personally doing something to be of service can take my comment as offensive all they want. (which there is way too many of out there in the world presently).

As for a retired person having the same status. Incorrect

if that person has worked their whole life, paid into a system that takes way more over those years of work and gives some of it back once they qualify for it in their older years when working is not logical. They are not the same at all.

But no need to worry, because before long, the whole system is  going to adjust and its not going to be pretty when it does. 

Young people work longer hours than any other age group. They work longer, get paid less, sometimes have multiple jobs, and with the rising cost of living, are priced out of things older generations enjoyed. They are also expected to retire later than previous generations. Many young people are not too optimistic about the future and don't even expect to be able to retire at all.

The generational divide among wargaming is interesting though. It doesn't surprise me that that might be a source of conflict within the community. Most people are pretty friendly and helpful, though I haven't done much PBEMing myself.

I wonder what the average age is among forum users here. It kinda surprised me when CM Cold War came out to see so many posters who were active duty military during the time the game takes place in the late 70s or early 80s. That was before I was even born.

14 hours ago, Bozowans said:

Young people work longer hours than any other age group. They work longer, get paid less, sometimes have multiple jobs, and with the rising cost of living, are priced out of things older generations enjoyed. They are also expected to retire later than previous generations. Many young people are not too optimistic about the future and don't even expect to be able to retire at all.

The generational divide among wargaming is interesting though. It doesn't surprise me that that might be a source of conflict within the community. Most people are pretty friendly and helpful, though I haven't done much PBEMing myself.

I wonder what the average age is among forum users here. It kinda surprised me when CM Cold War came out to see so many posters who were active duty military during the time the game takes place in the late 70s or early 80s. That was before I was even born.

There was a not very scientific, probably not statistically relevant, research about the average age a loooong time ago (you should be able to find the thread). Even back then it was on the older side. I believe to remember late 40‘s to early 50‘s or so.

So, yes, there probably is a pretty wide gap.

BTW, my wife’s nephew would fully agree with you. 😊

17 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Here I sit in front of my screen playing CM huge scenario it is 8 am and hopefully finish it at 8pm. Age 71 living of my pension. Young people are welcome to drop in and play against me.

Well you know what they say: We all start in diapers and we all end in diapers

6 hours ago, ASL Veteran said:

We all start in diapers and we all end in diapers

Old bulls like to feast on green grass. I like to step out like my father did, on his easy chair with half a glass of whiskey and his book on the floor. I like to step out with an empty glass.

At 71 I hope to be playing cm3 and checking the forum where folks are complaining the cm3 is dated and when is cm4 coming out.  Oh, and Barbarossa and AK will be out by then on cm3 :).  Along w all our current cm2 faves.  And best of all no day job robbing me of my time & staring-at-computer mental budget.  71 is a ways off for me but it's sounding kinda good right now...

It is already Utopian. Bunkers in the 1950's where cut toilet rolls with matchsticks for guns. 1960's came along what an improvement. Airfix with British, German, Russian and even US Marines. The latter had to double up for US army too. Yes, the T34 was brilliant large wheels, and you could choose between a 76 mm turret or an 85 mm turret. The Churchill was useless with all those small annoying wheels. Here we are we don't have to assemble a single thing but for the masochist they can mod to their hearts content. Fight on the PC but not against each other. 

21 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

I see, the discussion certainly gained some „niveau“ since I dropped out!

BTW, interesting that we never heard anything from the OP @DownSized.

Thank you all for alot of positive feedback, it seems needy of me but sometimes you need a pick me up, engaging with new communities has always been difficult for me anyway.

It's been a while since I looked back here but now I have taken the time tor ead everyones response fully. There are some very good points about community interaction in general.

Also I'm very pleased to have recieved a number of messages asking me for games which is going to be awesome so I will be replying to those.

2 hours ago, DownSized said:

Thank you all for alot of positive feedback, it seems needy of me but sometimes you need a pick me up, engaging with new communities has always been difficult for me anyway.

It's been a while since I looked back here but now I have taken the time tor ead everyones response fully. There are some very good points about community interaction in general.

Also I'm very pleased to have recieved a number of messages asking me for games which is going to be awesome so I will be replying to those.

Good luck and have fun with your matches!👍