Struggling with the community

So here I am reaching out. I'm new to combat mission and my first 3 encounters with your community have not been great so I need some faith restoring.

I came looking for the combat mission discord because I wanted to get involved iwth other players who enjoyed these games as well, get some PBEM in and get better at the game maybe make a friend or two.

But so far I've had 2 people refuse to play me because of my region - I have no idea why that matters in PBEM and completely confuses me, I don't care what your region is. Finally I get into a game with someone, part way through he started complaining he'd chosen a poor force for the task and was probably going to lose since then his responses have slowed right down and I think stopped. Why leave the game hanging like that? You could concede? We could have a do over. I Just want to play I don't care about win or lose.

So help me please see that you are a decent community because I'm quite disheartened at the moment.

On 8/13/2021 at 11:46 AM, DownSized said:

So here I am reaching out. I'm new to combat mission and my first 3 encounters with your community have not been great so I need some faith restoring.

I came looking for the combat mission discord because I wanted to get involved iwth other players who enjoyed these games as well, get some PBEM in and get better at the game maybe make a friend or two.

But so far I've had 2 people refuse to play me because of my region - I have no idea why that matters in PBEM and completely confuses me, I don't care what your region is. Finally I get into a game with someone, part way through he started complaining he'd chosen a poor force for the task and was probably going to lose since then his responses have slowed right down and I think stopped. Why leave the game hanging like that? You could concede? We could have a do over. I Just want to play I don't care about win or lose.

So help me please see that you are a decent community because I'm quite disheartened at the moment.

Sounds like you have just had some bad luck. I have only been playing PBEM for a few months and having a great time, one opponent did disappear mid game but I have no idea why, could be anything so I won’t judge.  

I could squeeze another game in if you want someone who won’t moan and disappear?

I can usually manage a turn a day, sometimes more but I do have two young kids who steal sleep so I may have weeks where the rate slows a bit.  My opponents are in different regions so not bothered about time differences or how many turns you get back. 

What games do you own?

MMM

On 8/13/2021 at 12:46 PM, DownSized said:

So help me please see that you are 

This is basically a very decent community. After a while you will even find some great people here, I promise you. 

Personally I don't play PBEM because I don't like the time pressure, but I know many here do. 

Anyway, welcome mate, whatever your region is and give it some more time.

1 hour ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Personally I don't play PBEM because I don't like the time pressure,

Well put and then you need to find someone who plays on the same level (Warrior, Elite) is the most common and small games only as personal pcs don't seem to cope. Then there are house rules. They need to come up with another multi play system. I like Hotseat and I am fortunate to have somebody who plays once a week. 

I can't find any negative discussions about time zone on the discord at all.

A reasonable expectation for PBEM in general is 1 turn/day, and that should be fine regardless of where you are.

Inevitably though, PBEM games are an expenditure of time, and things can go awry - I know my first experiences of PBEM were unusually bad, but people dropping, etc., are just going to happen. CM is a hobbyist game, and like many such things it can come down to assembling a good group of people for you.

7 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Silly question probably, but is it possible to PBEM against yourself?

It must be like Hotseat against yourself I do it if I like to test something. I like to know how to use two computer screens or two PC's when we play Hotseat. Now you can't help a peek if we play in this fashion. 

6 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

It must be like Hotseat against yourself I do it if I like to test something. I like to know how to use two computer screens or two PC's when we play Hotseat. Now you can't help a peek if we play in this fashion. 

For me CM is more about recreating history and studying tactics, than winning or losing. Though I prefer winning of course, since losing can really ruin one's self-respect. 😁

Edited by Aragorn2002

On 8/13/2021 at 12:46 PM, DownSized said:

Sounds like you are mixing two things here. The community behaviour and „PBEM play“ willingness.

Re the behaviour, I agree with @Aragorn2002. It is in general very good, mostly decent people, many with excellent knowledge. Of course, there are some “heated discussions” every then and when. But not too often and @BFCElvis does a great job to moderate.

I do have a small base of  reliable long time oppos but players dropping out can be an issue, indeed. I experience that mostly when I try to play with beginners. It seems to me, new people frequently underestimate what PBEM means in terms of time and dedication or stamina to play the same battle for 6 months or even longer. You just need to keep trying. You can also try to join the „The few good men“, there you should find plenty of partners.

And indeed, @Bulletpoint‘s advice is pretty good. Worked for me, too.

It sounds like you came from the Discord community and that may be part of the problem. I can imagine that Discord is more real time game oriented (which would explain your „time zone declines“). You won‘t find RT Players here.

Finally, since I had a drop out recently 😎, drop me a line, if you want to play anything except BN (I already have four matches going), Shock Force or Black Sea. Though, I quite often manage only 2 or 3 turns a week.

Edited by StieliAlpha

4 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

For me CM is more about recreating history and studying tactics

Testing is important and spotting, units on 'hide' still spot really well. I found that out by playing against myself on Iron. Using a 2men scout in the hope they spot anything is a waste of time in real life it is not. 

26 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

It sounds like you came from the Discord community and that may be part of the problem. I can imagine that Discord is more real time game oriented (which would explain your „time zone declines“). You won‘t find RT Players here.

Your assumptions are incorrect.

46 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

???

Edited by Grey_Fox

2 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

From what I can see looking from now back to April in the find a player channel on the Discord server people is mostly looking for pbem/dropbox type of games.

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

@DownSized I have played against @StieliAlpha several times, and he's a good, capable and friendly opponent both when winning and losing.

Seconded!

@DownSized, I remember that pain. I think that experience is common in the beginning. I suffered through some of that too. Now I have a stable group of regular opponents and TFGM site plus also check out theblitz.club I help moderate there. It is not as much banter as at TFGM but they have a serious ladder and regular (mostly) monthly challenges.

I have seen a few people ask for same time zone opponents. I agree it's weird. 

@DownSized Welcome to the forum. These guys have pointed you in the right direction to pick up a game. Between here, TFGM and theblitz you'll come across plenty of people who've been playing the games for a while and are used to the time it takes to complete a PBEM battle. 

I'm not chiming in about that though...... I'm chiming in about the new PBEM+++ system that is currently being tested for Cold War. Once it's up and working we can expect to start seeing it on other Combat Mission titles as well. One of the features of PBEM+++ is a lobby that has open PBEM games available (Challenges). These can either be public or private battles. The private battles are password protected. To play one of those the person who set up the Challenge would have to give you the password. The public Challenges are free for anyone to take. If you see a battle that you're interested you accept the Challenge and off you go. You won't even be asked what region you live in. 🙂 

I'd like to address that the Combat Mission discord is probably the fasted growing community for Combat Mission, if not already the biggest. I insist that many of the forum members step off their high horse and try to understand the Discord isn't just a few immature children, but one of the most productive and diverse places that relate to the game. The BFC.com forum, while being an amazing resource, is becoming more and more obsolescent as time moves on. One would benefit from not settling on one means of discourse forever.

20 minutes ago, Rice said:

I'd like to address that the Combat Mission discord is probably the fasted growing community for Combat Mission, if not already the biggest. I insist that many of the forum members step off their high horse and try to understand the Discord isn't just a few immature children, but one of the most productive and diverse places that relate to the game. The BFC.com forum, while being an amazing resource, is becoming more and more obsolescent as time moves on. One would benefit from not settling on one means of discourse forever.

I have not used Discord. Can you please tell the advantage of Discord compared to a traditional forum like this? Is it anything more or anything else than a 'chat group'?

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

@DownSized Welcome to the forum. These guys have pointed you in the right direction to pick up a game. Between here, TFGM and theblitz you'll come across plenty of people who've been playing the games for a while and are used to the time it takes to complete a PBEM battle. 

I'm not chiming in about that though...... I'm chiming in about the new PBEM+++ system that is currently being tested for Cold War. Once it's up and working we can expect to start seeing it on other Combat Mission titles as well. One of the features of PBEM+++ is a lobby that has open PBEM games available (Challenges). These can either be public or private battles. The private battles are password protected. To play one of those the person who set up the Challenge would have to give you the password. The public Challenges are free for anyone to take. If you see a battle that you're interested you accept the Challenge and off you go. You won't even be asked what region you live in. 🙂 

Will this PBEM+++ system be available for Mac users as well?

4 minutes ago, G. Smiley said:

I have not used Discord. Can you please tell the advantage of Discord compared to a traditional forum like this? Is it anything more or anything else than a 'chat group'?

It uses "channels" rather than threads. So you can just go into whatever channel you want and talk at any time, no need to create a thread. As a result, they tend to be more active.

Also from a purely combat mission perspective, the userbase for a discord will skew younger than the forums, so that changes things a bit.