Cold War Module speculation...

59 minutes ago, Artkin said:

1985 and then 1947, right ?

1945 (because Unthinkable and assets already there) and then 1962 for me. And if we want to get really outlandish I would love a few one off years to cover 67, 74, etc. But as much of Europe as we can squeeze in first, then an expansion of years to cover up to 85. Hey, one can dream, right? 

Re: 1945,the whole idea of the Allies essentially rearming the defeated Wehrmacht to fight against the Soviets is so morbidly fascinating to me. Especially what it would look like from a pure equipment / organizational capacity. 

33 minutes ago, JMDECC said:

1945 (because Unthinkable and assets already there) and then 1962 for me. And if we want to get really outlandish I would love a few one off years to cover 67, 74, etc. But as much of Europe as we can squeeze in first, then an expansion of years to cover up to 85. Hey, one can dream, right? 

Re: 1945,the whole idea of the Allies essentially rearming the defeated Wehrmacht to fight against the Soviets is so morbidly fascinating to me. Especially what it would look like from a pure equipment / organizational capacity. 

I do believe the Soviets would get crushed by the sheer air power of the allies. Strange how after all that lend lease they were ready to kill each other. Just as ironic as the Germans selling the Lutzow to the Soviet Union then invading the next year. Lol.

1967 Would certainly be a perfect CM game for BFC to make, it would pretty much be cmcw except a different flavor. I think something like 3000 armored vehicles were destroyed in a week. Nuts.

9 hours ago, JMDECC said:

TBH I find that concept morally repugnant.....It's about as appealing to me as playing the Khmer Rouge.  :mellow:

I definitely want them to cover the current time period in as much depth as possible before they start expanding it out. Depth before breadth. At a minimum get most of the NATO and WP roster filled out for the Central European front. Getting Scandinavia in there as well would also be nice.

When they do start expanding the timeframe I'm hoping they will extend it into the late 80's, up to 89. 1989 is an interesting setting to me because that is the year that World in Conflict is set in and it was WiC that first got me interested in the Cold War. But I would also be very interested in a 1962 setting.

In 1962 most of the equipment of the current setting would be present, but it will be earlier variants of everything, all shooting less modern ammunition. The M60 would be as new as the Abrams is in 1982, and the M48 would be sporting the good ol' 90mm gun. I've always been curious how a classic M48 (A3 or earlier) would fare against a T55. US infantry would be armed with the M14, giving them barely more firepower than they had in WW2 (there might be some XM16s with 20 round mags kicking around). Soviet infantry would have the classic AKM. The era of the ATGM would not yet have begun, with the Sagger only entering service next year. The AT work will instead be done by recoilless rifles and old school AT guns. It would be an absolutely fascinating period. If the current setting of CMCW is a perfect midpoint between the WW2 titles and CMSF, then 1962 would be a perfect midpoint between the WW2 titles and the current CMCW setting.

And of course once British forces get added in we will get to see the Centurion in action as well, which is something I would be particularly interested in (I chose my username so long ago I don't remember if I was naming myself after the tank or the Roman leadership position, but if the latter I'm happy enough to retcon it to saying that the tank is my namesake (yeah I know my account on the BFC forums is only a few months old, I've been using this name for everything for much longer though)).

Edited by Centurian52

45 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

US infantry would be armed with the M14, giving them barely more firepower than they had in WW2 (there might be some XM16s with 20 round mags kicking around).

IIRC, only the airborne divisions and the marine FMF completed the full transition to the M14 by the beginning of 1962, while the bulk of the US Army completed the transition by the end of the year. So, in that year, some American infantry units might still be equipped with M1 rifles.

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

TBH I find that concept morally repugnant.....It's about as appealing to me as playing the Khmer Rouge.  :mellow:

Oh I agree completely. But still interested in what that would look like. The realist in me recognizes that they would likely just be rearmed with US and Commonwealth equipment and maybe pressed into their own formations. But I like to let the imagination run here and there. 

I would also love to see Norway added as an additional front. There would be some awesome infantry centric battles in rough terrain that would be a change of pace compared to the mechanized slug fests we're seeing a lot of now. Not that I don't love those as it is, but one can never have too much variety!

If we're adding extra theatres of war, I'd nominate Afghanistan (Real 1978-1992) & Iran (Fictional 1982-2000).

I'm just taking the first steps on a map of Dasht e-Emam, a small town on the highway north of Bandar Abbas using the NTC mapping tools.....Will probably need mods for best effect, but fortunately I know a man who's very good with those.

You guyz are totally off target. 😁

Since CMCW already has desert terrain I'm guessing the mod is Israelis vs An Arab Coalition.  Well, I guess @Sgt.Squarehead was getting close:

On 9/8/2021 at 12:14 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

If we're adding extra theatres of war, I'd nominate Afghanistan (Real 1978-1992) & Iran (Fictional 1982-2000).

I think the DLC will be set in the middle East. Prolly '67 to '82. Pre and post Merkava. My humble, but correct, opinion. 😁

1 hour ago, Probus said:

Since CMCW already has desert terrain I'm guessing the mod is Israelis vs An Arab Coalition.  Well, I guess @Sgt.Squarehead was getting close:

I think the DLC will be set in the middle East. Prolly '67 to '82. Pre and post Merkava. My humble, but correct, opinion. 😁

67 dont forget 73 82 merka desert middle east...I feel sparks in my eyes ...

...wait !!  I go already making a mod or a conversion from the us halftrack for the btr 152,  armed the super Sherman and prepare the sand guns !

On 9/8/2021 at 8:42 AM, Amedeo said:

IIRC, only the airborne divisions and the marine FMF completed the full transition to the M14 by the beginning of 1962, while the bulk of the US Army completed the transition by the end of the year. So, in that year, some American infantry units might still be equipped with M1 rifles.

Good point. Actually come to think of it a 1957-1962 setting would be great so you could compare changes in equipment over that period. The US Army's organization remained the same through that period (at least on the squad level). So it would be interesting to compare infantry equipped entirely with M1s and BARs at the beginning of 1957, to those same infantry but equipped entirely with M14s at the end of 1962.

7 hours ago, Probus said:

After the central front in Europe that's my #1 wish. The Arab-Israeli were a grab bag of everyone's equipment and the lessons learned there drove tactics for a generation. 

H

On 9/13/2021 at 2:14 AM, Centurian52 said:

Good point. Actually come to think of it a 1957-1962 setting would be great so you could compare changes in equipment over that period. The US Army's organization remained the same through that period (at least on the squad level). So it would be interesting to compare infantry equipped entirely with M1s and BARs at the beginning of 1957, to those same infantry but equipped entirely with M14s at the end of 1962.

Yes, a 1957-1962 setting would be interesting. Speaking about small arms, from the Soviet side the transition from the AK to the AKM should be less dramatic than the one from the M1 to the M14 - in game terms I doubt there's any noticeable difference between these two Kalashnikov models - on the other hand the transition from the RPD to the RPK should have more impact.

Anyway I'm perfectly aware that the chances of a late '50s-early '60s CMCW game are very slim (euphemism), but that's not really a problem. I just hope that the expected modules for the 1979-1982 timeframe will see the light in the coming months.

On 9/18/2021 at 1:57 PM, Amedeo said:

Speaking about small arms, from the Soviet side the transition from the AK to the AKM should be less dramatic than the one from the M1 to the M14

Had the Soviets produced enough AK47s by 1957 to arm every rifleman? Or was the SKS still filling some gaps? I actually can't find any information on that. Every time I try to search AK47 production I get figures in the tens of millions, which are probably including AKM production.

1 hour ago, Centurian52 said:

Had the Soviets produced enough AK47s by 1957 to arm every rifleman? Or was the SKS still filling some gaps? I actually can't find any information on that. Every time I try to search AK47 production I get figures in the tens of millions, which are probably including AKM production.

Photos of Soviet troops involved in suppressing the 1956 Hungarian revolt, show that the AK was practically ubiquitous. So, I presume that it's safe to assume that in 1957 for Soviet front line troops in Germany/Eastern Europe the AK was standard issue.

1 hour ago, Centurian52 said:

Had the Soviets produced enough AK47s by 1957 to arm every rifleman?

Hopefully not, especially if we are room-sweeping:

ONSV4656__01.jpg?v=1595529793

A quick online search offers little more than 'The PPSh-41 ended its military service in the Soviet Army sometime in the 1960s.' (their emphasis not mine).  :unsure: