Jump to content

Cold War Module speculation...


Recommended Posts

Ok,

Since it was just dropped in the Steve Grammont interview, let us start our speculations in what the CW module will be!

 

Obviously we have to see the introduction of NATO equipment and forces along with the East Germans.  Beyond that though, I am completely hoping for an expansion in the theater, maybe deeper into the west or maybe even a fictional push by NATO in the Soviet Bloc countries.  I mean hey, we already have CMFR and RT maps!!

I would also love to see new campaigns in the expansion of conventional WWIII.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm betting the first module is going to be the addition of West/East German forces. It seems to be the most popular choice based on a poll that was posted a while back (which I have reposted here), with the results so far being 55% for a German module, with British forces in second place at 25%. I know eventually I would like to see some Battle of West Berlin scenarios/campaigns, which will require the addition of British, French, and East German forces. But I tend to think that the addition of West German forces is the most urgent, since they would have accounted for the largest portion of NATO forces in West Germany at the start of WW3, and as such would have carried much of the early fighting.

As far as expansion of theater, I'm hoping we get some North German Plain maps (one of the other probable Soviet axes of advance alongside the Fulda Gap and the Hof Corridor).

https://www.survey-maker.com/results3624833x06d04c29-109#tab-2

Edited by Centurian52
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

I'm betting the first module is going to be the addition of West/East German forces. It seems to be the most popular choice based on a poll that was posted a while back (which I have reposted here), with the results so far being 55% for a German module, with British forces in second place at 25%. I know eventually I would like to see some Battle of West Berlin scenarios/campaigns, which will require the addition of British, French, and East German forces. But I tend to think that the addition of West German forces is the most urgent, since they would have accounted for the largest portion of NATO forces in West Germany at the start of WW3, and as such would have carried much of the early fighting.

As far as expansion of theater, I'm hoping we get some North German Plain maps (one of the other probable Soviet axes of advance alongside the Fulda Gap and the Hof Corridor).

https://www.survey-maker.com/results3624833x06d04c29-109#tab-2

Yess to all this!!!  I also would like to see the Germans first in a module before British and others.  I so want North German Plain maps too and battles between the West Germans and Soviets!  A Battle of Berlin would be amazing too.

Edited by Phantom Captain
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Due to the FRG and many NATO minors sharing the Leopard I, it might be better to bundle them all together (like SF2’s NATO module) alongside the NVA.

Here’s my guess….

1.  CW:  North German Plains.  BAOR and Poland plus Soviet Airborne.

2.  CW:  (Insert nifty title).  West German’s plus Netherland vs NVA.

3.  CW:  Arctic Front.  USMC, UK Para vs Soviet Marines and the Leningrad Military District.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Megalon Jones said:

Due to the FRG and many NATO minors sharing the Leopard I, it might be better to bundle them all together (like SF2’s NATO module) alongside the NVA.

Here’s my guess….

1.  CW:  North German Plains.  BAOR and Poland plus Soviet Airborne.

2.  CW:  (Insert nifty title).  West German’s plus Netherland vs NVA.

3.  CW:  Arctic Front.  USMC, UK Para vs Soviet Marines and the Leningrad Military District.

 

I was thinking the same thing, in regards to NATO sharing lots of equipment. However, I think FRG vs NVA will come before BAOR, but that's my opinion. In addition, its possible it would be an FRG/Netherlands vs NVA/Poland, since lots of the equipment is pretty similar and both factions have a smattering of cool indigenous vehicle designs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Von Richthofen said:

I was thinking the same thing, in regards to NATO sharing lots of equipment. However, I think FRG vs NVA will come before BAOR, but that's my opinion. In addition, its possible it would be an FRG/Netherlands vs NVA/Poland, since lots of the equipment is pretty similar and both factions have a smattering of cool indigenous vehicle designs

The Polish in particular had their own non Soviet equipment plus a large contingent of marine naval infantry.  Outside the NVA, they seemed the most capable of the East Bloc.  Interesting stuff.

It’s hard to suss  out Soviet intentions regarding their satellite allies.  Because of the Hungarian Uprising and Prague Spring they were leery of putting too much emphasis on using Hungarian and Czechoslovak formations.  They increasingly distrusted the Polish after Gdańsk and martial law.  The Romanian’s were a big enough question mark to put them in the ‘unreliable’ category.  (Plus, it might not be in Moscow’s best interest to open a southern front against Turkey/Greece.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

I'm betting the first module is going to be the addition of West/East German forces. It seems to be the most popular choice based on a poll that was posted a while back (which I have reposted here), with the results so far being 55% for a German module, with British forces in second place at 25%. I know eventually I would like to see some Battle of West Berlin scenarios/campaigns, which will require the addition of British, French, and East German forces. But I tend to think that the addition of West German forces is the most urgent, since they would have accounted for the largest portion of NATO forces in West Germany at the start of WW3, and as such would have carried much of the early fighting.

As far as expansion of theater, I'm hoping we get some North German Plain maps (one of the other probable Soviet axes of advance alongside the Fulda Gap and the Hof Corridor).

https://www.survey-maker.com/results3624833x06d04c29-109#tab-2

I fully agree with the results of the survey, but very much hope we will see the Dutch army too. And Soviet paratroopers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most likely happy with any theater/force combination set in the cold war era.

But my first choice for a module would be:

CM: Scandinavia

Wintermaps!

Hypothetical scenarios between Swedish forces and Soviet or US/NATO.

And much more!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ratdeath said:

Most likely happy with any theater/force combination set in the cold war era.

But my first choice for a module would be:

CM: Scandinavia

Wintermaps!

Hypothetical scenarios between Swedish forces and Soviet or US/NATO.

And much more!

 

Agreed. But don't forget the Finns. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Agreed. But don't forget the Finns. 

They are included in "And much more!" :) With Norway, Denmark, possible USMC force and of course more Soviet forces. But soon this will turn into 2-3 modules!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, ratdeath said:

They are included in "And much more!" :) With Norway, Denmark, possible USMC force and of course more Soviet forces. But soon this will turn into 2-3 modules!

Imagine that. Hopefully BF is going to surprise us again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

it sure seems that CW is popular, so hopefully all these wishes will come true.  "Battle for Scandinavia" module, with all the above forces.  Heck yes.  Probably a bit lighter forces than in fulda gap, we'd get more infantry/AFV and less MBTs.  In the snow!  W forest & hills & frozen rivers. 

campaign where beleaguered force (danes, nords, swedes, or some such) fighting it out in defense/delaying actions w soviet paras & amphib forces, then USMC shows up to help out.  I gotta have that.  I guess could do same kinda thing in Black Sea also, please 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

it sure seems that CW is popular, so hopefully all these wishes will come true.  "Battle for Scandinavia" module, with all the above forces.  Heck yes.  Probably a bit lighter forces than in fulda gap, we'd get more infantry/AFV and less MBTs.  In the snow!  W forest & hills & frozen rivers. 

campaign where beleaguered force (danes, nords, swedes, or some such) fighting it out in defense/delaying actions w soviet paras & amphib forces, then USMC shows up to help out.  I gotta have that.  I guess could do same kinda thing in Black Sea also, please 😀

Stop it, Dan! You know how annoying I am when I get impatient! 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I doubt that a single "Battle for Scandinavia module", as described, will be viable for BFC: too much stuff (not that I wouldn't buy it instantly).  

Perhaps, as already stated, an "Arctic" module featuring Norwegian Army, USMC, Soviet Naval Infantry and Soviet Motor Rifle Divisions with infantry on MT-LBs instead of BMPs/BRTs. That's all.

Then, maybe, a Danish/Polish module, assuming the VDV and NVA forces needed for a proper "Danish invasion" scenario were already included in the 2nd (Bundeswehr/NVA/US AB/VDV?) and 3rd (BAOR/Canadians/Dutch?) module.

Swedes and Finns are probably out of the equation, since this would require more than five CMCW modules! Not that I wouldn't like to see even more, but no CMx2 title managed to have more than three modules, to date. 

On the other hand, until a few months ago, we were sure that a Cold War CM game would have never seen the light, weren't we? 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Am wondering why have a Scandinavian module for CMCW as opposed to a contemporary setting.  After all, those CMCW ideas are all speculative, sci-fi type concepts that never happened.  While CMSF (Syria) never happened it was easy to adapt the units for Iraq or other theaters that did actually happen.  Right now the Baltics as well as Finland and Norway and Poland join the Ukraine in being nervous about Russian ambitions.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Isn't this a commercial question? Which module or stream of modules will bring the most sales for the least cost? 

So, BOAR vs Sov

Then West German vs Sov

Then Sov Allies vs US, BOAR, West Germans

Then Other western allies vs Sov and Sov Allies

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think i it'll be the battle of germans for the first module. W.Germany vs. E.Germany. BOAR vs. Poland for the second. The Leopard 1 was ubiquitous among smaller NATO armies and getting as much bang for the buck is the way BF has been designing modules for some time now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would love to see the U.S. Marines come into play in a Scandinavian Mod. Granted you would NOT have the huge armor battles that many players prefer, but you now bring into play the Norwegians, Finland and don't forget the Swedish, who would bring many interesting weapons into play. The Swedish S-Tank [Tank Destroyer] S-103, the IKV-91, STRV-84, Pbv-301 and 302 and many other weapons. The Finn's had the Charioteer, a Cromwell chassis with a newer turret and larger cannon, most of their other vehicles were of Soviet origins, then you have Norway who used weapons from the United States, United Kingdom, Germany and a few others. Plus there is nothing like a good ole scrap like fighting in the mountain's under a fresh blanket of snow. I do agree that there are other mods of greater importance to the CW Game like adding the Germans, Brit's, Canucks and French Fries, but I really think a Scandinavian Mod is plausible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...