Steve Grammont interview.

"At present we are thinking more along the lines of adding a host of “niceities” that people have been asking for since forever, but have kept getting pushed to the back of the line.  Things like better rendering shadows, improving framerates for larger or more intense battles, AI Player improvements, etc. are some of the things we’ve been talking about for the next CM2 Engine Upgrade."

That sure sounds good!

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

I'm all nostalgic now for 2011 and the posters who predicted BFC was about to go belly up if they didn't follow their weirdly specific advice on how to run a computer game company. Good times, good times. ^_^

Yeah, like those morons who kept asking for the game to be released on Steam...

At the moment I'm not playing CW much on my mac book air m1 because the big scenarios do not run well (loss of terrain features at distance), so I am looking forward to anything that will allow the game to run better. Native apple silicon code would obviously be great too (one can dream....). 

24 minutes ago, AlexUK said:

At the moment I'm not playing CW much on my mac book air m1 because the big scenarios do not run well (loss of terrain features at distance), so I am looking forward to anything that will allow the game to run better. Native apple silicon code would obviously be great too (one can dream....). 

Apple users should stay at purgatory until all of their files not scanned by benevolent AI (for your safety only).

Also the absence of the answer is an answer too. 

7 hours ago, umlaut said:

Oooooh, they let the 1939 cat out of the bag there! There´s a screenshot from a game called "Combat Mission: First Blitzkrieg"

I wish! But I think it was just a goof by the people who made the interview slides. They meant FINAL Blitzkrieg. Shermans didn't invade Poland in the winter! :-)

Ihttp://grogheads.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/SG4-700x394.jpg

American Tanks loaded with GI’s start their dawn attack on Herlissheim under the cover of light fog. (Combat Mission: First Blitzkrieg)

Edited by kohlenklau

6 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I'm all nostalgic now for 2011 and the posters who predicted BFC was about to go belly up if they didn't follow their weirdly specific advice on how to run a computer game company. Good times, good times. ^_^

You must feel so vindicated as Battlefront lights it up on the leading edge of the computer gaming industry. Well done mate.

Nice interview!  I can't believe I have been playing this game for 20 years.  At one point back in CMBB times, me and an opponent in Sweden fought PBEM eastern front for more than seven years!  Exchanging turns pretty religiously we actually fought longer than the real Germans and the Soviets.  

All that being said, I can't wait for the CMBS and CMCW modules.

Hmmm, CMCW has to be introducing NATO and East German forces and expanding the timeline and scope. Sooo looking forward to that.

I, literally, still will reference the Space Lobsters of Doom in some conversations.  Would kill for that too!

Edited by Phantom Captain

Excellent interview.  Good that very specific questions were asked and answered by Steve.  

Some highlights:

Steve:   We are stepping away from creating brand new Families (Base Game + Modules + Packs) and instead are committed to having at least one Module for each of our existing 8 Families.  At present that means adding Modules to Black Sea, Final Blitzkrieg, and Cold War.  

GH:  If you could make any game you liked – free of any commercial considerations – what would it be?

Steve:   It’s going to sound like a total suck up to our earliest CM fans… but it has got to be Space Lobsters of Doom!  

And a nice ty to the testers:

Steve: Another shout out to our steady stable of testers who did a fantastic job getting it across the finish line in record time.  Without their collective passion and decades of pleading to do this game we would not have CM Cold War today.  It was a great collaborative effort done at just the right time by just the right people.  Hat’s off to the crew!

It's unsurprising that CM3 was not mentioned.  If customers knew that CM3 was a few years away, they would stop buying existing CM2 products and wait.

Edited by Erwin

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

It's unsurprising that CM3 was not mentioned.  If customers knew that CM3 was a few years away, they would stop buying existing CM2 products and wait.

I don't think they would 😎...

If or when CM3 arrives it will most likely be a VERY limited scoped game (battle for Normandy v3  with US army and german army only).

Thats nice for normandy lovers but perhaps not as much for other people...I belive that most CM-players will keep playing CM2 for years even after CM3 has been released.

11 hours ago, umlaut said:

Oooooh, they let the 1939 cat out of the bag there! There´s a screenshot from a game called "Combat Mission: First Blitzkrieg"

😉😁

Having read through the interview it doesn't look like that is happening anytime soon. It looks like they will be focusing on making modules for existing games like Black Sea and Cold War for a bit, and won't be making any brand new games for quite a while. Which on the whole is probably the right move. I absolutely want to play a Combat Mission: First Blitzkrieg (a different title might be preferable since CMFB would become an ambiguous shorthand) and a Combat Mission: Great War one of these days (please let this happen someday). But I think it is more urgent to add additional forces to Cold War, so I think they have their priorities right.

14 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Yeah, like those morons who kept asking for the game to be released on Steam...

asking and making it feasible are two different things.  The partnership with Slitherine is what made steam possible.  If it weren't for that, BF would still not be on steam.

Steve:   We are stepping away from creating brand new Families (Base Game + Modules + Packs) and instead are committed to having at least one Module for each of our existing 8 Families.  At present that means adding Modules to Black Sea, Final Blitzkrieg, and Cold War.  We are also interested in adding various types of Packs to other Families.

Hmm, 8 Families - Does this mean CM:A is going to get brought back into the fold? I remember Steve saying he was going to reach out to the Russian devs in the New Years thread from this year...

Edited by Gkenny