Combat Mission Professional

9 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Where was this from? It isn't accurate. There are a number of things on that list that aren't in CM Pro. And the last one is in Pro. I remember testing it by changing an Abrams main gun to fire 1,000 rounds per minute. Yeeeehhaaawww.

It was posted on Twitter in this thread:

https://twitter.com/JonHawkes275/status/1434860551054692357?s=20

Specifically here:

https://twitter.com/JonHawkes275/status/1434985413769416714?s=20

Edited by Arjuna.R

8 hours ago, Arjuna.R said:

Thanks! I don't know him. From what I can tell from his Twitter profile he does work for Jane's. He got a lot right. Just those few things he got wrong. 

This reply was kinda funny: Does the AJAX do health damage over time to its own crew or how realistic is it?

That comment is from someone who has never played Combat Mission. 🙂

I recall reading an old article about Bovington Tank museum taking possesion of a running IS-2M in exchange for a Conqueror (I believe) and the Brits were shocked by how quietly the IS-2 ran. It was something of a revelation to them. The Brits were used to tanks that made a 'BBLAAP! BBLAAP!" sound on starting up. 🙉

Man some of these features are really cool, and I definitely would love to see them come to the commerical version. I would always try to include a munitions counter in my arma missions at the end screen, it was wild seeing just how many bullets/grenades/shells would be fired in a scenario. The other stuff, like a stitched together replay system would definitely also be appreciated. And multiple players per side - CM COOP has been a dream for my friends and I for years.

11 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I recall reading an old article about Bovington Tank museum taking possesion of a running IS-2M in exchange for a Conqueror (I believe) and the Brits were shocked by how quietly the IS-2 ran. It was something of a revelation to them. The Brits were used to tanks that made a 'BBLAAP! BBLAAP!" sound on starting up. 🙉

Of course if it was a Chieftain they would be used to it going CLUNK CLUNK STOP at some point between the tank shed and the main gate of camp on a crash out.

12 hours ago, MikeyD said:

That reminds me, the reason the Bundeswehr switched from their traditional tanker beret to a Soviet-style helmet was the Leopard 2 proved to be a horrifically noisy vehicle to fight in. On par with the old Churchill tank which was notoriously loud.

While i cant compare the Leopard2 to other afvs noise levels are unlikely to be the reason for the modern caps. In practice almost no tanker actually uses them. They all take the ear pieces and convert them to a headset.

Entering through windows would be pretty easy to implement. Just make the building sides with windows act like those with doors. Maybe with entering that way taking a bit longer.

Troops could just "phase" through the wall like when entering doors, or if BFC were feeling fancy, they could use the "jumping across fences" animation.

25 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Entering through windows would be pretty easy to implement. Just make the building sides with windows act like those with doors. Maybe with entering that way taking a bit longer.

Troops could just "phase" through the wall like when entering doors, or if BFC were feeling fancy, they could use the "jumping across fences" animation.

If I had £1 for every time in my career I'd heard someone say "that should be pretty easy" wrt software I've written that then turns into a 5 day slogfest as one change breaks another that breaks another...well I probably would have retired by now :)

MMM

25 minutes ago, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

If I had £1 for every time in my career I'd heard someone say "that should be pretty easy" wrt software I've written that then turns into a 5 day slogfest as one change breaks another that breaks another...well I probably would have retired by now :)

MMM

And if I had 1 dollar for every time I hear people assume something is probably too difficult to do, so why bother... :)

55 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Entering through windows would be pretty easy to implement.

I am only a mediocre programmer and have only learned a little bit about game development here and there, but I have a growing suspicion that nothing is easy in game development. Changing or adding features means changing existing code, and who knows what that might break or how long it will take to get it working right.

18 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

I am only a mediocre programmer and have only learned a little bit about game development here and there, but I have a growing suspicion that nothing is easy in game development. Changing or adding features means changing existing code, and who knows what that might break or how long it will take to get it working right.

Not even just game development, all software change is fraught with risk. As I say to my team "nothing runs in isolation", everything is usually interconnected despite our best efforts to decouple it so whenever something has to change in the guts of the code it will likely break something else and even if it doesn't you still have to test the whole thing again to make sure it didn't. It all takes time and time is money.

37 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

And if I had 1 dollar for every time I hear people assume something is probably too difficult to do, so why bother... :)

The only ones who truly know how easy it would be to change the window thing and whether it's worth the effort are the guys who write the code. In this instance they have done because they are being paid to, but I doubt it was a quick and easy job (although I too don't know the codebase so I may be completely wrong and it was a doddle, only Charles or Steve would know).

MMM

Edited by Monty's Mighty Moustache

59 minutes ago, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

Oh yeah.

33 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

The thing is when people say "that's not as easy as you think" they are not adding anything close to "and therefore why bother" all they are saying is its some work and needs to be evaluated along side all the other things the require work. Even something that is "done" is not free.

I have no actual inside knowledge but I would not be at all surprised if window entry made it into the version we all play. It's just not getting added this afternoon and shipped to you tomorrow. :D

3 minutes ago, IanL said:

The thing is when people say "that's not as easy as you think" they are not adding anything close to "and therefore why bother" all they are saying is its some work and needs to be evaluated along side all the other things the require work. Even something that is "done" is not free.

I never said it would be free or instantaneous to do. But probably easy (=not a lot of work compared to other changes) since the basic code for a wall with doors is already in the game

They'd just need to change the bit "wall_is_enterable" from 0 to 1 for all the wall objects that contain at least one window.

It is all generic. Tanks can't drive through walls, 2 persons holding a rifle can't raise a third person to enter a house on the first floor up from the ground floor through the window. Houses don't have separate rooms and no cellars. We don't have choppers to land units on rooftops. Why we don't have these I don't know probably to do with the data to makes this game work. Enter through the door or doors even though you may have been told before to make your own openings. Give every trooper a 'Blast' order in the command panel and not just only engineers and US Airborne units.  

Edited by chuckdyke
spelling