Do Main Gun Barrel Hits Always Disable the Main Gun?

On 8/5/2021 at 4:14 PM, IanL said:

I would not assume a gun was out of action unless I could see a whole hit decal on it. Often a non penetrating hit will disable it too but not always. Frankly I subscribe to the real life SOP - it it's not currently burning put a round into it.

That sounds like a pretty good and solid advice. 

If in doubt, shoot. While you can…🤓

21 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I once made the mistake of assuming that a hit decal on a Tiger's gun barrel meant "job done". The big cat then took out two of my Shermans. The air turned blue.

Have made this mistake more times than I care to admit. 

Somewhat relevant and another point for the arty vs tanks argument (4:45 if the timestamp doesn't work):
TLDR: an airburst round went through all the way through the barrel and through the front glacis plate and into a track adjustment mechanism... which would not necessarily disable the main gun in the sense that you couldn't fire it, but it would not be a good idea.

Edited by Hapless

Tiger 131 was disabled with a shot that grased the Gun barrel and jamed in the turret ring. Im guess the Panzer man did not want to try and fire the gun while it was stuck.

Not directly knocking out the gun but put it out of action.

You can see the damage here at 2.55 min