Bug: CMBN - Bocage floats when scenario first opened

Just happened to notice this out of the corner of my eye so to speak. Was testing some of my mods and textures when I spotted a floating section of bocage, which I presumed was a bugged-out mod. The map I was using was a custom map with just samples of all the tall bocage shapes, so the floaters are much more noticeable. It is probably harder to spot in a normal scenario/map. I uninstalled all my mods, absolutely vanilla install on Mac, latest game engine version. I made a new test map with just a few lines of straight bocage on a ridge so that daylight would be visible under the bocage instead of the usual earth banks, it only seems to affect straight bocage so far as I've seen:

XVJrfKc.jpg

Fairly clear gap under bocage when map first loads ...

GNQTECL.jpg

... zoom in a bit, still there ...

no0vd3Q.jpg

... zoom in another notch, starts to flicker in and out, we're probably about 30 seconds after game opening here ...

748LHC8.jpg

... finally settles and stays attached to the ground. Time for this to happen can depend on how much one zooms or moves towards the bocage, so I'm guessing this is maybe a LOD issues of some sort, but it's very repeatable, at least for me.

Not a biggie, but hopefully a simple fix.

Interesting. It looks like the 3D portion of the bocage on the bottom is not part of the LOD model or there is a version without it. In the third picture you can see the middle set of bocage having a rise from the ground to meet the foliage texture, whereas the two on the sides completely lack that 3D portion. In the 4th picture all of the bocage sets have their bottom 3D portion.

It looks like it is just a matter of choice for the game engine to use a simpler LOD model at that distance for some of the sets to lower its graphic rendering/memory load. Somewhat like trees and other items on the map that disappear depending on your zoom and the  camera distance.

8 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

Interesting. It looks like the 3D portion of the bocage on the bottom is not part of the LOD model or there is a version without it. In the third picture you can see the middle set of bocage having a rise from the ground to meet the foliage texture, whereas the two on the sides completely lack that 3D portion. In the 4th picture all of the bocage sets have their bottom 3D portion.

It looks like it is just a matter of choice for the game engine to use a simpler LOD model at that distance for some of the sets to lower its graphic rendering/memory load. Somewhat like trees and other items on the map that disappear depending on your zoom and the  camera distance.

Yes, I initially wondered if it was just too much going on for the engine, so it was switching stuff in and out, but this simple map suggests something else. I also thought that maybe it was just an edge of map thing, but as can be seen it happens to bocage in the mid map area as well. When the bottoms appear seems to be random, but usually within the first 10 to 30 seconds of seeing it and after some flickering in and out. And yes I'm certain it's related to LODs in some way, as you say. I don't think the bocage has specific LOD files, I will have to check, if not then I suppose the engine has to model them.

The good thing is I don't think it has any impact of LOS, I did some tests with opposing units behind similar rows at a few hundred meters and they didn't really notice each other, I certainly couldn't see anything through the gaps, even when I parked a truck right up by the bocage.