Zveroboy's Aleppo Buildings Texture Pack + Bonus Urban Map

One thing that struck me about Iraq is how tacky it can look like in some areas. Of course I realise it is not like this everywhere and there are also beautiful places there and I apologize if someone from Iraq is reading this but after poring over hundreds of photos of Syria the difference was pretty striking. Bit off topic but who cares.  I mean look at these buildings below, talk about an eyesore. I have saved dozens of these too so it is not just isolated cases, it feels quite widespread.

WVC1AlEl.jpgt5mYvytl.jpg

kZKoeCkl.jpg

YKqHJmYl.jpg

OePpoArl.jpgNkylOMol.jpg

Edited by Zveroboy1

Ha ha, yes, since traditional Islam prohibits human images in art (idolatry) -- although this stricture was widely ignored in Iran and India -- it tends toward geometric patterns, mixed media and calligraphy instead. And when living in an arid desert environment that is mainly shades of brown, liking bright colours is understandable. 

... But there is a good way to do that (Cordoba, Blue Mosque, Taj Mahal) and then, a not so good way. My best guess is that Saddam's regime produced a lot of rich officials whose kids took architecture degrees in London and then brought their mediocre talents home, using oil or oil state money to bring their 'visions' to life.