Trailer for new Dutch Liberation of Holland film (some MG)

• John Kettler changed the title to Trailer for new Dutch Liberation of Holland film (some MG)
9 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I've not seen the movie. But I think that scene might be a flashback to when a young Dutchman is serving with the Germans on the Eastern Front. 

I'm sure you're right: Just after the T-34 clip someone says: "You're being transferred to the Netherlands".

14 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Meanwhile south of the border, and far from the muck and bullets, the higher ups will be enjoying a different type of "Slag".

slaglager8-1.jpg

Reminds of of Jimmi Carr:
"I thought my girlfriend was a slag, when she said I was her thirty second lover. Then I realised she was talking about time". :D

8 hours ago, umlaut said:

Reminds of of Jimmi Carr:
"I thought my girlfriend was a slag, when she said I was her thirty second lover. Then I realised she was talking about time". :D

I seem to remember that when Michael "I don't sing, and I don't drink Pepsi" Jackson used a picture of this beer in one of his books back in the 1980's, it was captioned "It doesn't mean what you think it does".

There's also a new Dutch movie, called 'De Oost' about the war in Indonesia between Dutch special forces and Indonesian guerillas on Zuid-Celebes after the capitulation of the Japanese. It's not bad, but I never like dutch movies to be honest. They have little 'soul'. With that I mean that it's more about sex and sensation, than historical truth. But perhaps 'Slag om de Schelde' is an exception. Haven't seen it yet.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:17 PM, Warts 'n' all said:

I've not seen the movie. But I think that scene might be a flashback to when a young Dutchman is serving with the Germans on the Eastern Front. 

In "Soldaat van Oranje", one of the 4 old schoolfriends volunteers for the Dutch SS and goes East. I shan't spoil it further for those who haven't seen it, good film.

On 7/30/2021 at 2:15 PM, Aragorn2002 said:

There's also a new Dutch movie, called 'De Oost' about the war in Indonesia between Dutch special forces and Indonesian guerillas on Zuid-Celebes after the capitulation of the Japanese. It's not bad

Turk Westerling?  Celebes was a mess; the Japanese murdered all the Muslim datus they could find for not being servile enough to them, and that made it very hard for the Dutch to find local conservative leaders to offset the revolutionaries postwar, unlike the British alliance with the the Malay sultans against the (mainly Chinese) CPM.

I have a lot of Oostindischer-descended friends and have spent a fair amount of time working in the archipelago. Other than Java and Sumatra, coastals and flatlanders are Muslim, but the upland tribes (headhunters) are Christian (ex-animists, missionaries got to them). Christians largely sided with the Dutch, predicting (accurately) that they'd get screwed after Liberation, pancasila notwithstanding.

They kept fighting long after independence, largely unnoticed in the West except when a CIA pilot, Anthony Pope, was shot down parachuting guns to them in 1958. In Sulawesi I saw one army memorials to 'heroes' e.g. 120 soldiers wiped out in an ambush on some remote mountain road. Tough people and a tough country to maneuver in, even on foot.

Armed resistance only petered out in the 1970s in some spots and even today there's no love lost, especially since the government resettled Javanese Muslims in Christian areas. A lot of the Indonesian islands would shrug off the 'Javanese empire' if they could. A colourful part of the world.

3 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Turk Westerling?  Celebes was a mess; the Japanese murdered all the Muslim datus they could find for not being servile enough to them, and that made it very hard for the Dutch to find local conservative leaders to offset the revolutionaries postwar, unlike the British alliance with the the Malay sultans against the (mainly Chinese) CPM.

I have a lot of Oostindischer-descended friends and have spent a fair amount of time working in the archipelago. Other than Java and Sumatra, coastals and flatlanders are Muslim, but the upland tribes (headhunters) are Christian (ex-animists, missionaries got to them). Christians largely sided with the Dutch, predicting (accurately) that they'd get screwed after Liberation, pancasila notwithstanding.

They kept fighting long after independence, largely unnoticed in the West except when a CIA pilot, Anthony Pope, was shot down parachuting guns to them in 1958. In Sulawesi I saw one army memorials to 'heroes' e.g. 120 soldiers wiped out in an ambush on some remote mountain road. Tough people and a tough country to maneuver in, even on foot.

Armed resistance only petered out in the 1970s in some spots and even today there's no love lost, especially since the government resettled Javanese Muslims in Christian areas. A lot of the Indonesian islands would shrug off the 'Javanese empire' if they could. A colourful part of the world.

One big tragedy. And another example of the UN and US blundering their way through history. After the successful 2nd dutch offensive (operation Kraai) in 1948 during which Sukarno, Hatta, Sjahrir and the rest were arrested after the capture of Djokja by dutch paratroopers, a more peaceful solution would have been possible. Unfortunately the UN intervened and the US threatened to stop their Marshall help program, vital for the destroyed economy of the Netherlands, so the dutch government had to set Sukarno and company free again. After that nothing could stop the domination of the Javanese muslims over the whole of Indonesia. Many payed the price for that with their lives or freedom. 

Edited by Aragorn2002

4 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

One big tragedy. And another example of the UN and US blundering their way through history. After the successful 2nd dutch offensive (operation Kraai) in 1948 during which Sukarno, Hatta, Sjahrir and the rest were arrested after the capture of Djokja by dutch paratroopers, a more peaceful solution would have been possible. Unfortunately the UN intervened and the US threatened to stop their Marshall help program, vital for the destroyed economy of the Netherlands, so the dutch government had to set Sukarno and company free again. After that nothing could stop the domination of the Javanese muslims over the whole of Indonesia. Many payed the price for that with their lives or freedom. 

I agree its very sad. I personally wish the US had been as hard with the French in forcing them to give up their empire as they were with some of these other European countries, especially in Vietnam. Had we sided with Ho Chi Minh and not the anemic French empire we could have avoided the Vietnam fiasco. 

24 minutes ago, sid_burn said:

I agree its very sad. I personally wish the US had been as hard with the French in forcing them to give up their empire as they were with some of these other European countries, especially in Vietnam. Had we sided with Ho Chi Minh and not the anemic French empire we could have avoided the Vietnam fiasco. 

By sacrificing yet another country to (communist) tyranny. Yes, sounds like a plan to me. Fortunately lesson learned as Afghanistan shows us.

Edited by Aragorn2002

Ha ha, you would like my Oostindischer friends, Aragorn. Their parents returned to postwar Holland with stories of beheadings, eating rats etc. and their families were all like, 'that's nothing, we had to go without cheese for a whole winter in '44-45!'

So many of them simply re-expatriated, where being the scion of British colonial administrators myself, made friends with their kids. We are 19th century people.

Funny thing is, we also have a lot of Asian friends (you know, the downtrodden victims of all this) who think in much the same way. They would far sooner have skipped the entire Communist thing and negotiated peaceful independence with the Europeans, who were on their way out anyway (plantation agriculture having long passed its peak as a money machine). Then the Pacific century would have begun at least 50 years sooner.

(sorry, wandering well OT here)

3 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Ha ha, you would like my Oostindischer friends, Aragorn. Their parents returned to postwar Holland with stories of beheadings, eating rats etc. and their families were all like, 'that's nothing, we had to go without cheese for a whole winter in '44-45!'

So many of them simply re-expatriated, where being the scion of British colonial administrators myself, made friends with their kids. We are 19th century people.

Funny thing is, we also have a lot of Asian friends (you know, the downtrodden victims of all this) who think in much the same way. They would far sooner have skipped the entire Communist thing and negotiated peaceful independence with the Europeans, who were on their way out anyway (plantation agriculture having long passed its peak as a money machine). Then the Pacific century would have begun at least 50 years sooner.

(sorry, wandering well OT here)

Exactly my point, LLF. Same as you I know the stories well, heard many of them out of the mouth of people who've experienced the suffering, including some family members, who are now long gone. For the sake of not derailing this thread even further I will say no more, but it's clear we understand each other perfectly.

Edited by Aragorn2002

On 8/3/2021 at 12:08 PM, LongLeftFlank said:

In "Soldaat van Oranje", one of the 4 old schoolfriends volunteers for the Dutch SS and goes East. I shan't spoil it further for those who haven't seen it, good film.

A boringly stupid film and magic gasoline which can float upwards on the beach. And that SS-volunteer is of some reason wearing some kind of parade uniform, or something, on the front when he dies in the "music festival" toilet.

Edited by BornGinger

3 hours ago, BornGinger said:

A boringly stupid film and magic gasoline which can float upwards on the beach. And that SS-volunteer is of some reason wearing some kind of parade uniform, or something, on the front when he dies in the "music festival" toilet.

I agree. Bloody awful. As most dutch movies are.