Rare hit by a double ricochet

I saw something very rare so I made a short video of it. A bullet ricocheted twice and then still ended up hitting someone. A bullet fired from a Thompson ricocheted off a building, then ricocheted again off the back of a Panther turret 65 meters away, then flew high up in the air and then plunged down right into the backside of a tank radio operator hiding in the bottom of a ditch another 30 meters away. It gave him a light wound. What are the chances of that?

I included the view from the US soldier with the Thompson as well. If only he knew he ended up accidentally hitting someone completely out of view and way off to the left of what he was aiming at. Seems he was probably killed shortly after firing though.

Posted in the general forum since this kind of thing is not unique to CMBN. Being able to track individual bullets and see where they go is one of the interesting things about CM. Anyone else see rare stuff like this? Could be any CM game. It's always amusing seeing things like a stray bullet falling out of the sky and landing at someone's feet from a completely unrelated firefight on the other side of the map 1000 meters away or whatever.

I had two of these happen in the same turn in a PBEM match. Mine was from Shock Force 2, a bullet caromed off a building, crossed the street, hit a wall there, then dipped into a hidden insurgent spy who died instantly. Sometimes it just has your name on it. Elsewheres, the same thing happened to a Syrian soldier hiding behind a destroyed VIED, was less dramatic though, mostly just a quick pingpong that nailed him. I've moved countries but if I ever get around to setting up I'll fetch the videos (looks like streamable took them down). Yours is extremely dramatic cause it looks an NBA play haha.

I actually think it might happen more than we realize, but the shooting is so chaotic (a given) that we probably don't even notice half the time. The craziest 'ricochet' I've seen was actually a Panther's round that skipped off a Sherman's glacis and spiraled way over the battlefield and hit a crop of trees, instantly killing an entire mortar team I had moving beneath it. They weren't even close to the action so I was initially befuddled as to how they disappeared from the map. You can imagine my unraveling the mystery in reverse like some wayward battlefield Columbo heh.

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

It's cool that the game keeps tracking ricochets, but that bullet would never hurt anyone after bouncing like that... If it flies up and then falls back from gravity, it doesn't reach a high enough velocity.

It was only a light wound... :) In the but-tocks.

Not only suppressed, but am sure I have seen friendly ricochets cause friendly casualties.  Had a situation where there was a lot of small arms fire trying to suppress a wall/doorway for a breach team.  Lots of ricochets.  The breach team took several casualties, but it turned out there was no enemy in the building or anywhere close.

Edited by Erwin

On 7/25/2021 at 8:53 AM, Warts 'n' all said:

Personally I've always found pistol packing tankers to be a pain in the 'arris. So as far as I'm concerned he got what he deserved.

They are definitely annoying. I'd say this guy got off easy though. Wounded just light enough that he gets to spend some comfy time off the line perhaps, but not heavy enough that it's anything more than a little pain in the 'arris.

On 7/25/2021 at 6:50 AM, Khalerick said:

I actually think it might happen more than we realize, but the shooting is so chaotic (a given) that we probably don't even notice half the time. The craziest 'ricochet' I've seen was actually a Panther's round that skipped off a Sherman's glacis and spiraled way over the battlefield and hit a crop of trees, instantly killing an entire mortar team I had moving beneath it. They weren't even close to the action so I was initially befuddled as to how they disappeared from the map. You can imagine my unraveling the mystery in reverse like some wayward battlefield Columbo heh.

That kinda reminds me of something I saw in CMSF2, where a Syrian ATGM just barely missed my hull down tank, flew past it and then slammed into a crop of trees way behind, taking out a bunch of my infantry moving beneath them.

Yeah I'm sure this stuff does happen way more than we realize. I almost missed that tanker getting hit. I was about to hit the end turn button and go back to the command phase when I decided to take one last look at things and spotted that.

4 hours ago, Bozowans said:

That kinda reminds me of something I saw in CMSF2, where a Syrian ATGM just barely missed my hull down tank, flew past it and then slammed into a crop of trees way behind, taking out a bunch of my infantry moving beneath them.

Have had similar with ATG in CMBN... The gun in question was 'sniping' at a pTruppe in the upper storey of a light structure, IIRC, and an overshot went into trees and inflicted casualties way downrange.

1 hour ago, womble said:

Have had similar with ATG in CMBN... The gun in question was 'sniping' at a pTruppe in the upper storey of a light structure, IIRC, and an overshot went into trees and inflicted casualties way downrange.

I was playing the other night and a rifle shot missed the intended target 100m away and domed a guy who was giving buddy aid nearly 500m away. Love how this game models bullet trajectories. 

MMM

Edited by Monty's Mighty Moustache

11 hours ago, womble said:

Trying to think of a few more I've seen like this... There was one time an enemy ATG in CMRT fired at one of my tanks, missed, then the shot flew several hundred more meters and then straight through a window my forward observer was looking out of, killing him instantly. That made me pretty upset. :D

Another time I saw an ATG fire at an infantryman standing out in the street. The shot flew between his legs and then through a building, exploding against the opposite wall.

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

This is why it is always useful to AREA FIRE even if there is no LOS to the target, and also why it is effective to fire at sound contacts.  The bullet effects go way further than just the target area.

Very true. I especially like to do that in the modern warfare titles, since every single squad has their own APC with thousands of rounds of extra ammo. That way I can just light up the entire battlefield, shooting at everything in the general direction of the enemy. Shoot enough bullets and you're bound to hit someone eventually.

In that CMBN scenario I was just playing where the tanker got hit, the American positions are really hard to shoot at, because I can't target them through the tall grass and agricultural fields they are hiding in. Telling my men to shoot at the ground in front of them, I know at least some of the rounds will overshoot right into the US positions.