A Debt Repaid Scenario

Playing our second scenario, A Debt Repaid and am interested in some feedback from people who have played it.  First off the files are huge, almost 30 MB so we have had to use dropbox instead of attaching the game file to an email.

I am the Russians and all I have so far are infantry while the Germans seem to have a lot of armoured halftracks and flak wagons which are decimating my infantry.  The Russians have some anti tank rifles but the manual indicates that you have to be close range for them to be effective.  I had some in our first scenario and they certainly are not as lethal as bazookas and piats in CMBN and CMFI.

The briefing is not very detailed in regards to reinforcements so I'm wondering if the Russians received any AFV?  It also says to move up to hold a specific location which is really puzzling because it is suicide to do so when the Germans have the flak wagons.  Certainly a strange scenario.

I've only played it as the Germans versus the AI but your men are going to be dead meat anywhere but in the woods due to those German half-tracks. Clearly you cannot hold the village at the start and the brickworks will just keep a German platoon temporarily out of the fight at best so I think your best tactic is to mount a defense in and around the woods around the creek bridge. Even then you need good positioning because the German infantry are armed entirely with StG 44s. Anti-tank rifles are actually pretty effective against half-tracks in my experience, they have no issue sniping gunners and can even get frontal kills with enough rounds, but they are better from the flank. I don't think you get any armored reinforcements either so your best option is to catch their attack in the woods and beat them up close there, I think.

5 hours ago, CanuckGamer said:

I am the Russians and all I have so far are infantry while the Germans seem to have a lot of armoured halftracks and flak wagons which are decimating my infantry. 

If this was a battle which occured in 1941 it sounds correct. But as this is a battle in 1943 or 1944 it seems more correct to have it the other way round with the Soviets having all the armour and the Germans using what they have at the moment.

If the battle is historical maybe reading about it can give you some help?

6 hours ago, CanuckGamer said:

Certainly a strange scenario.

I play as German and before you enter any building rip the ground floor and the second floor and you can't go wrong. The Soviets also give their position away too soon and shoot at anything what moves. Same story at the bridge, show your halftrack at 500 meters and the HMG starts shooting. Wonder or I will finish it two wounded so far. I think it is better for H&H and it is a beautiful map. 

As I suspected this will be a tough scenario for the Russians to win.  I have been setting fire arcs for my Russian infantry that only extend a few yards so they don't give away their positions.  I did fire a couple of my MGs at a flak wagon hoping that it might take out the crew but that didn't work.  The Germans are basically motorized while the Russians are all on foot.  I find it odd that the briefing tells you to hold the brickworks, kind of like ordering a kamikaze on the eastern front.

5 hours ago, CanuckGamer said:

I find it odd that the briefing tells you to hold the brickworks

Yes I think it is designed to play Russian. Nothing out of the ordinary to do area fire when encountering a building. The AI doesn't do area and fire at full contacts only. The two snipers in the first building is just silly. At least tomorrow I play a human player, may try to play Russian.  

1 hour ago, chuckdyke said:

Yes I think it is designed to play Russian. Nothing out of the ordinary to do area fire when encountering a building. The AI doesn't do area and fire at full contacts only. The two snipers in the first building is just silly. At least tomorrow I play a human player, may try to play Russian.  

The AI can be programmed to fire at area targets using the CTRL-click command.

• 4 weeks later...