Soviet Tanks with mine rollers?

Nato had several mine laying devices to delay a Soviet attack and deny an area. The Scoprion Mine Laying Vehicle of the Bundeswehr for example, with 300 vehicles taken into service in 1981/82. But minefields can also be prepared by artillery or helicopter. None of it is part of the scope of a Combat Mission scenario, but the mines which would have been in the area are, and we have them available in the game.

Which we don't have is Soviet counter equipment, Tanks with mine rollers to deal with those mines, and prepare a still dangerous, but somewhat safer route through a minefield for the following vehicles and infantry. Can we get tanks with mine rollers later on to fill this gap?

On 7/22/2021 at 5:07 AM, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

Nato had several mine laying devices to delay a Soviet attack and deny an area.

minefields can also be prepared by artillery

Tanks with mine rollers to deal with those mines, and prepare a still dangerous, but somewhat safer route through a minefield for the following vehicles and infantry. Can we get tanks with mine rollers later on to fill this gap?

+1.   IMO it would be very useful to have mine roller vehicles in game for both NATO and Warsaw Pact.  Breaching obstacle belts were often trained and planned for.  Many real world NTC rotations featured obstacle belts.  Maybe a similar game mechanic as already exits in CMBN with the flail tank could be used.  But with rollers or plows or whatever would work best instead of the flail.  @Geoff-Ludumpress It would also be cool to have some type of mine clearing vehicle in CMRT.

To a certain extent obstacle belts and FASCAM can be made to work now with creative use of the scenario editor.  However mine clearing vehicles would make these scenarios much better.  The four CMCW Kriegsburg scenarios feature FASCAM minefields and obstacle belts.  The FASCAM and obstacle belts appear in different locations depending on which AI plan loads.  This is accomplished by assigning the mines and wire to AI groups.           

Paraphrased from the CMCW Kriegsburg BluFor briefing:

FASCAM MINEFIELDS:  The Soviets have deployed an artillery deliverable FASCAM type minefield.  The mines are generally deployed in high traffic areas and choke points.  The minefields are both anti-tank and anti-personnel.  3rd Battalion Intelligence advise there are four possible locations where the Soviets deployed FASCAM minefields.  The locations are marked on the map (the location of an active FASCAM will vary with the AI plan).

Paraphrased from the CMCW Kriegsburg RedFor briefing:      

OBSTACLE BELTS:  The US will often employ obstacle belts to slow or channel attacking Soviet units.  The obstacles belts generally consist of wire and mines.  They are approximately 50 meters deep with four rows of mines and two rows of wire.  They may be up to 600 meters long with the ends tied into restricted terrain.  The obstacle belts are covered by both direct and indirect fire.  Often a lane is left through the mines to be used by US scouts conducting reconnaissance.  The wire is closed but the lane through the mines is still open.  Engineers can locate the lanes allowing friendly vehicles and personnel to breach (cross) the obstacle belt.  Location of obstacle belts will change with the AI plan.         

In the scenario breaching an obstacle belt is simulated by breaching the two rows of wire (or crushing with tracks) and then finding a cleared lane through the mines.   This is as close as we can get without mine clearing vehicles.   

Below Soviet scouts locate a US obstacle belt blocking a Soviet Avenue of Advance (this was on scenario author test mode so the mines are all visible).  Now the Soviet commander must decide to breach (find the open lane) or take a different Avenue of Advance to the objective.  So recon also matters in the Kriegsburg scenarios.    

YBOTyhYh.jpg

b4NvI9kh.jpg

The flail tank mechanic (below) but with rollers or plows would make the breaching of obstacles much more realistic and interesting.   

fy1yVZyh.jpg