Task force Thunder campaign Crashing

Carab

Whenever I try to load my Task force thunder Campaign It keeps crashing at about 70% loaded everytime. I'm up to the mission after Obj Diane. I'm using steam edition

Crash report reads

Runtime Error!

Program: ...common/Combat Mission Shock Force 2/ CM shock force 2.exe

This application has requested runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Desktop_Screenshot_2021.07.21_-_16.53.56

Any help would much be appreciated.

I'm not sure exactly what may be causing this. The MS Visual C++ Runtime library appears to be something used with the Steam version as the BFC version doesn't utilize/require the Visual C++ Runtimes to my knowledge.

The original CMSF series had problems with the Task Force Thunder campaign crashing around the Night Stalkers or Dagger Fight mission loading up (usually 'Night Stalkers'), which occurs much later. With CMSF2 the campaign structure was changed to my knowledge (with 'branching' of specific missions being eliminated). I'm not specifically aware of any issues with the current Task Force Thunder campaign, but there's still a possibility that there may be some.

Do you have any previous saves of the campaign that you could load (most likely not, I would assume) ? If you do, try one of those and see if it loads up. If it does, then you may need to play the campaign from this file and see if it eventually runs into the same problem with the Objective Normandy mission (Mission 9) loading up.

Do you have problems playing any QBs or scenarios with CMSF2 ? If you don't, then it would appear to be an issue with the campaign save file. If you DO have issues playing QBs or scenarios, then you may need to experiment with some game settings such as your video display settings (within your video driver's control panel) or possibly the Options within CMSF2 (such as 'shadows', etc.).

6 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

I'm not sure exactly what may be causing this. The MS Visual C++ Runtime library appears to be something used with the Steam version as the BFC version doesn't utilize/require the Visual C++ Runtimes to my knowledge.

The original CMSF series had problems with the Task Force Thunder campaign crashing around the Night Stalkers or Dagger Fight mission loading up (usually 'Night Stalkers'), which occurs much later. With CMSF2 the campaign structure was changed to my knowledge (with 'branching' of specific missions being eliminated). I'm not specifically aware of any issues with the current Task Force Thunder campaign, but there's still a possibility that there may be some.

Do you have any previous saves of the campaign that you could load (most likely not, I would assume) ? If you do, try one of those and see if it loads up. If it does, then you may need to play the campaign from this file and see if it eventually runs into the same problem with the Objective Normandy mission (Mission 9) loading up.

Do you have problems playing any QBs or scenarios with CMSF2 ? If you don't, then it would appear to be an issue with the campaign save file. If you DO have issues playing QBs or scenarios, then you may need to experiment with some game settings such as your video display settings (within your video driver's control panel) or possibly the Options within CMSF2 (such as 'shadows', etc.).

Previous saves, scenarios load fine, I even load back to the save just before the enemy surrenders and it still freezes at the exact same point (70% loaded), Could It be that I just have to do it all over again?, Is it just going to crash at 70% loaded on this mission every single time no matter how far back I go?, Very frustrating if that is the case... The campaign has been alot of fun thus far and was really looking forward to beating it and continuing on to the other campaigns, It is what it is.

Thanks for the response.

If you have any older saves than the one just before the enemy surrenders, try those. My guess is that all saves for the Objective Diane scenario may result in an eventual crash. As galling as it may seem, you may want to try SURRENDERING at some point within the Objective Diane scenario and see if it allows a play through to the next mission. Without casualties to your core force it might be possible to continue on.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

It may have nothing to do with this, but I had similar freeze and crash issues because I had too many waypoints plotted in a very large scenario - easy to do when one has a lot of units.  It may be limitation of the old CM2 engine.  Doesn't matter how powerful the computer is.  If you do have many waypoints plotted, you could try deleting a bunch.  

Edited by Erwin

What I've decided to do is start a new campaign and skip to the mission I was up to, The whole campaign seemed to have been corrupted as even going a mission or two behind resulted in the the campaign freezing at the same point, Just wondering if there are any penalties for Skipping missions in the campaign?

Edited by Carab