How to choose buildings in the editor?

Is there a way to see what kind of building you are choosing in the editor?

It looks like the process of adding buildings to the map is purely randomized apart from vague options of "commercial" "homes" etc. All you can see are about dozen of squares in the down left corner with no description or picture attached to it. So I select random square, place it on map, go to 3d view and see if it fits or not. Is it the proper method to do it, or there is a more convenient one?

No there isn't a convenient way to do it.  Pick your building with the appropriate size, shape and number of floors, go into 3D mode and then change the door/window style, the colour of the facade, the roof type and the window/door layout using the the ALT-click, SHIFT-click, CTRL-click and CTRL-click for modular buildings.

For the independent buildings, you just have to know what they look like before you place them or place them, look at them in 3D to see whether you've got the right one or not.  Independent buildings have more limited options in 3D - SHIFT-click will change the facade, CTRL-click will inflict damage on it.

14 hours ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

For the independent buildings, I place all building types on the map, in the same pattern, as they are in the editor, and then I can check in the 3D world which building would fit where. I do the same with trees. This buildings will be deleted later of of course.

Yeah, it's the same ugly method that I'm trying to use now.

I've made a picture list of all buildings and props which I look at when it's time to add those to the map. I just wish there were more houses with different size and more commercial buildings than there are. I also don't understand why most of the independent houses have a short side without windows. What's the reason for that look on independent houses?

1 hour ago, BornGinger said:

I've made a picture list of all buildings and props which I look at when it's time to add those to the map. I just wish there were more houses with different size and more commercial buildings than there are. I also don't understand why most of the independent houses have a short side without windows. What's the reason for that look on independent houses?

Means you can join them together without internal windows showing would be my guess.