TF 3-69 2nd mission extremely slow

For some reason I uninstalled the vanilla ones from bf and installed from steam. Recently I noticed an update and when I start the 2nd mission of US campaign it's getting intolerably sluggish by UI interaction. The program is still responding, but it seems to queue all the commands from UI and apply them one by one. For example, if I select a unit and push u to move the unit to a certain point, it would take like one minute to have the line appeared. Since the save file is 8mb I cannot push the save file but I think it should be reproducible by the steam version. Not sure if the most recent update is the cause though.

I don't know if a mapful buildings could be the reason as other maps are smooth as butter

After some trails I think the mouse click events might be the problem. Perhaps the game engine has defined its own timeout value for mouse click/drag. Upon mouse clicks mouse drag events are fired. So the UI does not respond because it's moving my camera and due to the small amount of "drag" recorded the camera moves too subtle to be noticed. 

Edited by Cheetahman

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, fireship4 said:

Try turning off "show objectives" (ALT+J I believe), that improves performance for me, as well as messing with the texture and 3D settings.  I find input is affected when performance is poor in general.

Thanks. Since I haven't got such lags in SF or CW, I'd assume something went wrong in BS. I also noticed AI tends to move along the road like those path finding in armored brigade. Wondering if this AI change would be responsible for the awful performance. 

If it's just with BS then perhaps there is something out of our hands particular to it.  All I can suggest is messing with graphical (including anti-aliasing) settings, increasing the priority the game runs at in task manager by one notch, etc.  The river crossing mission (any huge mission with buildings really) is more or less unplayable for me, but then I expect that as my PC is old.  Then again the game is old too!

Edited by fireship4

1 hour ago, fireship4 said:

If it's just with BS then perhaps there is something out of our hands particular to it.  All I can suggest is messing with graphical (including anti-aliasing) settings, increasing the priority the game runs at in task manager by one notch, etc.  The river crossing mission (any huge mission with buildings really) is more or less unplayable for me, but then I expect that as my PC is old.  Then again the game is old too!

Exactly. So I simply leave this post for devs if they still care. My computer is for 3A games so an old game like this does not have any excuse to run slow.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 4:41 AM, Cheetahman said:

Exactly. So I simply leave this post for devs if they still care. My computer is for 3A games so an old game like this does not have any excuse to run slow.

don't leave a post for devs. Turn in a ticket.  There is no telling when someone might look at this and then they'd have to contact you anyway. (and yes they do care.)