No longer take screenshots in any CM game

Never had any issues before but now can no longer take a screenshot in CM. Works in any other non OpenGL graphics engine game.

Corel Paintshop is my preferred screenshot app, but cannot take any shots even using inbuilt windows 10 apps or snip&sketch.  

I suspect it is OpenGL support with my GPU software (AMD Radeon R7). Would be good if anyone could confirm. 

Also it cannot be a coincidence that since I've realised this I've also been getting a slight freeze at times in game. As if the GPU is lagging to process the graphic. As I say, no issues in other games (steam products) and graphics settings are set to moderate > medium high.   

Any ideas? 

I tried screen captures under Windows 10 Pro v. 21H1 using a Radeon RX 480 and the 21.6.1 AMD drivers. If your Radeon R7 is a built-in GPU on a CPU/APU such as the A10-7700K, then you will probably max out with the 21.5.2 AMD video driver.

'PrintSc' failed to capture an OpenGL screen (which is par for the course and to be expected) and the same was true of Window's 'Snip & Sketch' (desktop captures only). I also failed to get a screenshot with the Radeon software's screen capture utility (Ctrl + Shift + I). I don't know if I had it misconfigured or if the utility doesn't support OpenGL applications well. The 'XBox Gamebar' (usually installed with most Windows 10 installs) mentioned by 'chuckdyke' DID manage to work. However it doesn't automatically copy your capture to the clipboard to paste into an image editor. You first have to go back to the utility (via the 'Windows key + G'), highlight the capture that you want from the visual listing and then press the 'Copy to Clipboard' button in order to paste it into a paint program such as Corel Paint. The nice feature here is that there can be any number of screen captures that you can highlight and then 'copy to clipboard' (I assume 'one at a time'). So you can capture multiple screenshots without having to Alt-Tab out of CM each time in order to paste that capture in a program.

Programs like FRAPS should also work for screen captures (though the last update was 8 years ago). OBS Studio is another program that supposedly works well (though I haven't used it myself).

Edited by Schrullenhaft

Thanks for both these responses. I had tried Radeon's own screen capture utility also, but that didn't work either, but it's possible I guess that I missed something if it works for others. xbox game bar tried also,  as above - may be need to experiment more if it's working for you. 

That said, pasting anything into Corel from clipboard (tried that and didn't work) is still a daft workaround in any case. I just don't understand why Corel (my preferred and long used screen capture method because I can immediately edit the pics) no longer works in CM. Never had any problems with this in any game for over 10 years.

OBS studio is the one application I overlooked and didn't try, probably because I've hardly ever used it for anything. This does sound promising so shall try this next. 

Thanks again!

On 7/11/2021 at 1:17 PM, Probus said:

BTW @The Steppenwulf,

Did you happen to have a Windows update that you can tell happened at about the same time or before your screenshot problems?  My wife's computer freaks out with the latest Win 10 update.

Indeed, that's an interesting observation because my initial suspicion was that it was a win 10 update underlying the issue. I'm apt to blame win 10 updates because I've found they are a general cause of computing problems. I've suppressed that conclusion because logically to me, it makes more sense that it's GPU code. Still my gut instinct is that it's windows 10. Just not sure what the connection would be with Win 10 interacting with OpenGL. 

So you can uninstall Windows updates fairly easily. I did and her computer went back to normal. 

Now I have to figure out a fulproof way of suppressing updates. 

On a related note, I have an older 2015 PC with a i7-4790K processor. I put in newer SSDs and NVMe drives. I pulled  out a GTX-980 with a broken fan and installed Windows 10 using the on board CPU graphics.

Everything was going just fine until it became time to install another graphics card. I had a GTX-1060 sitting on the shelf so I used it. Everything worked fine until the next Windows update. Then all hell broke loose. 

I wonder if I fix the fans on the GTX 980 and reinstalled it if I would run into the same Windows update problem.