Acquiring Stingers from Humvee

I'm playing The Charge of the Stryker Brigade campaign (patched).

It seems, I can't use air defense capabilities of M1152 HMMWV (Stinger). This vehicle has several Stingers missiles and Stinger launcher. I tried to order my soldiers to embark HMMWV and acquire Stingers, but all they can do is to take Stingers without launcher. There is no option in the menu to take launcher, so in the end they don't fire. 

I'm really puzzled how to use those Stingers stored on HMMWV. 

2 hours ago, dbsapp said:

I'm playing The Charge of the Stryker Brigade campaign (patched).

It seems, I can't use air defense capabilities of M1152 HMMWV (Stinger). This vehicle has several Stingers missiles and Stinger launcher. I tried to order my soldiers to embark HMMWV and acquire Stingers, but all they can do is to take Stingers without launcher. There is no option in the menu to take launcher, so in the end they don't fire. 

I'm really puzzled how to use those Stingers stored on HMMWV. 

you need an actual AD team..  It can't be just a random team.  You'll either have a dismounted stinger team or a vehicle and the vehicle typically already has the launcher.  Only the missiles can be acquired.  I haven't seen a launcher as acquirable. Could be wrong but I just loaded up an AD platoon and all the launchers are already possessed by the vehicle crew.  Only the missiles show up in the ammo pool.

4 hours ago, sburke said:

you need an actual AD team..  It can't be just a random team.  You'll either have a dismounted stinger team or a vehicle and the vehicle typically already has the launcher.  Only the missiles can be acquired.  I haven't seen a launcher as acquirable. Could be wrong but I just loaded up an AD platoon and all the launchers are already possessed by the vehicle crew.  Only the missiles show up in the ammo pool.

That's what I'm trying to say. It must be a bug in the campaign.

7 hours ago, dbsapp said:

That's what I'm trying to say. It must be a bug in the campaign.

No it wouldn't be a bug in the campaign, it is engine generated behavior.

3 hours ago, dbsapp said:

No way! The button to "bail out" for these vehicles is absent. 

Try dismount.  Would help if you could note which battle in the campaign and a screenshot, but generally the vehicle mounted AD teams use a dismount command and already have the launchers. (as a side note you may not want to acquire all the missiles as they tend to burn through them rapidly.)

13 hours ago, sburke said:

No it wouldn't be a bug in the campaign, it is engine generated behavior.

Try dismount.  Would help if you could note which battle in the campaign and a screenshot, but generally the vehicle mounted AD teams use a dismount command and already have the launchers. (as a side note you may not want to acquire all the missiles as they tend to burn through them rapidly.)

It should be a bug.

I uploaded the save file, so everybody can check it. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ARgO8179OrLil2AFHxB9AWavjSDkQ-dK/view?usp=sharing

Edited by dbsapp

32 minutes ago, dbsapp said:

It should be a bug.

I uploaded the save file, so everybody can check it. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ARgO8179OrLil2AFHxB9AWavjSDkQ-dK/view?usp=sharing

What should be  a bug? I am unclear what you are doing or expecting.  Everything I told you in my previous post is correct and does work.  I downloaded your file, selected the m1152, selected special/dismount and I have a stinger team adjacent to the vehicle now with a launcher and 2 missiles.  I select that team, hit move, put them back in the vehicle, hit acquire and took the remaining 4 missiles and again dismounted and now have 6 missiles.  It is working as intended.

11 minutes ago, sburke said:

What should be  a bug? I am unclear what you are doing or expecting.  Everything I told you in my previous post is correct and does work.  I downloaded your file, selected the m1152, selected special/dismount and I have a stinger team adjacent to the vehicle now with a launcher and 2 missiles.  I select that team, hit move, put them back in the vehicle, hit acquire and took the remaining 4 missiles and again dismounted and now have 6 missiles.  It is working as intended.

Ok, my bad, I confused "bail out" and "dismount". That's why I couldn't make my pixeltroops get out from the car. 

The UI design in CM games is so user friendly. 

Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, dbsapp said:

Ok, my bad, I confused "bail out" and "dismount". That's why I couldn't make my pixeltroops get out from the car. 

Thanks. 

LOL yeah that one is a curveball.  Don't quote me but I think that is because they are considered a weapon crew.

It's one of it's strengths for sure. Every CM2 game function/feature is consistent across every title. Essentially, you learn the UI *once* and are able to apply it across the board. A new theater/period merely requires the player to understand the TOEs involved.

Doh! I should have mentioned that. I think @sburke has the distinction correct but honestly if one of those choices is disabled I just use the other one. One of them works 🙂

So, did that work for you? Did you get an AD team out of it?

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Doh! I should have mentioned that. I think @sburke has the distinction correct but honestly if one of those choices is disabled I just use the other one. One of them works 🙂

So, did that work for you? Did you get an AD team out of it?

Yeah, everything worked fine after this enigmatic mystery was solved. 

I never used dismount, and always pressed bail out if I needed to pull  drivers out of the vehilce.

4 hours ago, dbsapp said:

I never used dismount, and always pressed bail out if I needed to pull  drivers out of the vehilce.

Rule of thump, vehicle crews leave the vehicle using *Bailout*. Passengers use *Dismount* (or a simple movement way point).

A vehicle crew can remount and drive away if it is their vehicle. Otherwise, they mount as passengers.

This is consistent across all titles.

1 hour ago, Howler said:

Rule of thump, vehicle crews leave the vehicle using *Bailout*. Passengers use *Dismount* (or a simple movement way point).

A vehicle crew can remount and drive away if it is their vehicle. Otherwise, they mount as passengers.

This is consistent across all titles.

That is the curveball here.  The AD team are the vehicle crew but have to use dismount as they are primarily a weapons crew. They do not remount as passengers.  They also can not use a simple way point to dismount.  In other words everything you noted does not apply to them.  :D 

1 hour ago, sburke said:

That is the curveball here.  The AD team are the vehicle crew but have to use dismount as they are primarily a weapons crew. They do not remount as passengers.  They also can not use a simple way point to dismount.  In other words everything you noted does not apply to them.  :D 

Actually it does apply. That AD team (or AT or MG, or etc.) is not vehicle crew. Therefore, they *Dismount*.

Any troop (including this AD team) will be able to drive away by being the first to *Embark*. The first troop (HQ, Squad, Team, etc.) to do so gets to drive the vehicle whereas anyone else will *only* need to plot a simple movement way point in order to dismount (or hit Dismount when that unit is selected).

Granted, I should have said a dedicated crew/driver needs to *Bailout*. In situations where a *dedicated* crew/driver exists - only if/when that dedicated crew/driver *Embarks* again will one be able to move/use the vehicle.

While utility vehicles such as Jeeps or HumVees are able to be driven away (used) by the *first* troop to embark (blue dots). All others embarking afterwards become passengers (green dots). It's worth noting that hitting Dismount with this vehicle type will force *every* (blue/green dot) occupant to dismount and leave the vehicle unoccupied if you do so when the vehicle itself is selected. While doing the same to a vehicle containing a dedicated crew - all dismounts (green dots) move out leaving the vehicle with the dedicated crew in place and able to move away immediately.

In any event, once someone figures out that BailOut is only available when a *dedicated* crew are present. One can look for Dismount instead in the UI in all other circumstances. I believe this is consistent across all titles.

I do appreciate your splitting of my hairs...

Edited by Howler

13 hours ago, Howler said:

Actually it does apply. That AD team (or AT or MG, or etc.) is not vehicle crew.

But they are the crew. Their unit specific icon goes away, just like crew.

It's a paradox. We just can't let it bother you it's not a time loop or anything 🙂. My rule of thumb is if I need the guys in a vehicle to get out, use whichever command is available and if they are both there pick one. Move on with your day.

:D

32 minutes ago, IanL said:

But they are the crew. Their unit specific icon goes away, just like crew.

It's a paradox. We just can't let it bother you it's not a time loop or anything 🙂. My rule of thumb is if I need the guys in a vehicle to get out, use whichever command is available and if they are both there pick one. Move on with your day.

:D

New players should not be hitting 'Bail Out' unless they wish their Bradley/M113/T80/etc. to become unable to fire or move. 'Bail Out' will disembark a dedicated vehicle crew and not do anything to the passengers. It's not a paradox nor complicated...

It's safer and less frustrating for new players to understand that 'Bail Out' will leave vehicular weapon systems inoperable. And, every title behaves the same way so the UI function is consistent.

I'm simply trying to help *new* players avoid unintentionally dumping the "wrong" troops. Blindly clicking buttons in CM2 tends to produce  unintended consequences.

We haven't even mentioned the nifty feature 'Dismount' provides to address situations where you want to dismount *first* and then have the carrier/transport/etc. continue with it's movement.

Bail Out only works in this instance here (AD Team/Utility Truck) as it is the exception proving the rule.

Anyhow, it's not the end of the world either way.

1 hour ago, Howler said:

We haven't even mentioned the nifty feature 'Dismount' provides to address situations where you want to dismount *first* and then have the carrier/transport/etc. continue with it's movement.

We can has this??   I thought troops would not dismount if vehicle had any unfinished move orders.  What's the nifty feature?

47 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

We can has this??   I thought troops would not dismount if vehicle had any unfinished move orders.  What's the nifty feature?

Select moving vehicle and cancel all pending waypoint(s). Select dismounts and click 'Dismount' to order. Select vehicle again and plot orders. Hit red button and you'll see the dismounts get off *before* the vehicle begins it's movement.

Dismount allows you to disembark from the vehicle *before* the vehicle does it's plotted orders. Otherwise, the troops dismount *after* the carrier (ie vehicle) has completed it's movement.