CO-OP Team Game or Campaign

Artkin

It would be interesting and hopefully a fun to experience coordination problems with one commander wanting to do A and another wanting to do B etc.  But, in RL there would be an overall CinC giving orders.  I suppose how a formation CO interprets CinC orders (or disagrees so much that he tries something else) could cause conflict.  

There could be two approaches:  1) One player has the armor, another the inf, and the CiC controls allocation of arty and specialized units. or 2) Each player has a mixed KG and has to coordinate, as to who will attempt different objectives to achieve the overall plan.  The CinC would still be able to allocate arty and specialized units.  

The challenge as mentioned b4 is that invariably for whatever reason one player will be slow and will hold up and frustrate everyone else, or the game experiences repeated player drop-outs.

Yeah we can definitely work past any issues. I was thinking that two different companies interact with each other to achieve objectives. But playing with a commander can certainly be possible with 3 players. For 2 it doesnt really make sense imo.

6 minutes ago, Artkin said:

For 2 it doesnt really make sense imo.

Agreed.  The more players up to a point the better.  But, of course the more players sharing the same battlefield the longer it would take to complete a turn. 

The question is what makes for  max "fun"?  Is it better to have multiple players - each with a combined arms KG on the same map?  Or... divide up the commands along  the various arms - inf, armor, plus a third player with support and specialized units?  In RL the support units would be assigned to the KG's by the higher (CinC) HQ.  But, that is rather a thankless role as the CinC player would not get to do much.

Possibly a 4th player could command the recon elements if the map and scenario are large enuff for that role.

Suggest everyone takes a look at the large "Mission to Maas" scenario and situation. That xnt scenario features Recon, Urban Assault/Defense, Attacking thru woods, defending vs enemy attacks, and possible meeting engagements.

Tbh, CMFB is my least favorite game to play. I just hate playing US. They're mad boring.

This scenario is German though, so that sounds like it could be fun.. They obviously have the most toys!

I agree, divide up a battalion with the same logic for the three/four players. Commander would take up the support assets and direct the battle.

Edited by Artkin

14 hours ago, Artkin said:

I just hate playing US. They're mad boring.

Yup, and Soviets aren't exactly exciting either.  It used to be (20+ years ago) that one practically had to pay a player to take the Soviet or Western Allies side (boardgame days).  I think we were fed so much pro western and anti Axis propaganda in the 60's and 70's that playing the Axis was "cool".   Not sure how or why that changed. 

Also, while it's understandable that many here had "the best years of their lives" being based in Germany during the Cold War, the subject leaves me quite "cool".  I suppose I'll get CW eventually as late WW2 is also boring.  Not a lot of difference between late '43 and '45 except for the addition of ever heavier tanks.  By late war all the nations had developed the optimal equipment and tactics and everything became very similar (other than graphical representation and names).  If one has been playing CM a long time since CM1, the heavies are not a novelty, and it's early war that became most fun due to the extreme differences in the powers' equipment and tactical assumptions in 1940/41.  

Artkin,

Go ahead and make it CMBN up to Battalion size Campaign (3x Games) with CW (make it Canukes) vs Germs...I will play one of the Companies.

Each Player controls a Company...So, If you only have 3x Players (including yourself), then there would be 2x Companies, and you play as Overall Commander and control the Battalion/Div assets (if 4x Players, then 3x Companies, and you as overall).

Joe

Edited by JoMac

I played a CMFI game earlier this year that was 6 player. 2x2 plus 2 CinC. It was a blast. Po River Valley. We ran into the problem Erwin mentioned with MIA commanders due to RL. We swapped out a couple times then decided to call it. 

I was on the German side. Had an infantry company, a Hummel, Wespe, Stummel and 4 Tigers. My co-commander had an infantry company, the support guns, engineers and a small recon force. We took orders from our CinC. Worked great while it lasted. 

We cooperated pretty well. I'd ask for smoke and to clear this part of the road. He'd ask for a Tiger to kill a flamethrower. We coordinated our bridge crossing under the guns of my Tigers with his engineers clearing mines. The enemy was pretty brutal laying down mortar fire, but I was able to suppress their tanks. If they poked their noses out, they learned that they should expect a rain of 88s. 

Edited by Probus

2 hours ago, Artkin said:

The coordination between an armor commander and an infantry commander would be excellent to have.

You share their C2 by direct communication. It is not hard. To share a huge game each player commands a company for example. Most computers can't handle a 4km X 8km urban map. 

6 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

You share their C2 by direct communication. It is not hard. To share a huge game each player commands a company for example. Most computers can't handle a 4km X 8km urban map. 

Most computers cannot handle it... With the CM engine.

One needs to take a step away from the CM bubble to realise the problem is not with the computing power but rather the engine of this game.

On 7/5/2021 at 4:10 PM, JoMac said:

Artkin,

Go ahead and make it CMBN up to Battalion size Campaign (3x Games) with CW (make it Canukes) vs Germs...I will play one of the Companies.

Each Player controls a Company...So, If you only have 3x Players (including yourself), then there would be 2x Companies, and you play as Overall Commander and control the Battalion/Div assets (if 4x Players, then 3x Companies, and you as overall).

Joe

Woah I didn't see this until now sorry...

I will work on something!

Think I remember reading-up on that Campaign you were involved with, @Probus. I really liked how it was designed with several sectors of a map that needed to be taken or lost from enemy (similar to a grand tactical board game using hexes). 

If you can find that thread, and post it here for Artkin, then that would also give him some ideas.

Edited by JoMac

It is a good idea and I enjoyed playing a test game with the guys.  Hopefully, some of the bugs have now been worked out.  I designed something like this way back in CM1 days.  It's fun having different commands on the same map with different human commanders. But, it can get slower the more humans get involved on a single map as the savegame file has to be sent from one person to the next in order to complete one turn.