Thanks for the memories

Rosseau

Great mods here that works flawlessly as far as I can tell. Thanks so much for the work.

I love it when it feels like Christmas morning. Had no idea BF had released CMCW until yesterday.

Like many, I go back to CMBB on the Mac when I was a young man. Since then got the whole series. Now I'm turning 65...

Anyway, re-registering was a breeze, as was the vanilla and mod installs. My gosh, even Mad Mike's campaign decompiler still works.

I celebrated when The Wall went down and can now play out what, thank God, didn't happen in Germany.

"Absent from the body, present with the Lord" was my rationale during those years. This game brings me back.

The campaign write-ups are great. Sorry for going way OT, but thanks for the memories.

It's certainly a very impressive accomplishment considering it was done outside of BF and with presumably very little, if any, support.  It would be good to know the logistics and budget so we could determine if something similar could be done for Early War etc.

9 hours ago, Erwin said:

It's certainly a very impressive accomplishment considering it was done outside of BF and with presumably very little, if any, support.  It would be good to know the logistics and budget so we could determine if something similar could be done for Early War etc.

it wasn't done outside of BF. Not sure why you think that.   A portion of the development was taken on by a couple of people to deliver the concept etc, but it is still Charles, MikeyD etal.  "We" wouldn't determine anything. :P Early War would mean BF developing all those models etc, a whole different level of lift than Cold War.  My bet is if it weren't for CMSF2 and CMBS you'd have never seen CMCW at all.  There was a significant body of work already done for the end product.  Other than a small handful of pieces, Early War would be all new.

5 minutes ago, sburke said:

it wasn't done outside of BF. Not sure why you think that.   A portion of the development was taken on by a couple of people to deliver the concept etc, but it is still Charles, MikeyD etal.  "We" wouldn't determine anything. :P Early War would mean BF developing all those models etc, a whole different level of lift than Cold War.  My bet is if it weren't for CMSF2 and CMBS you'd have never seen CMCW at all.  There was a significant body of work already done for the end product.  Other than a small handful of pieces, Early War would be all new.

It was kinda in the middle to be honest.  So Bil and I took on all of the TO&E research and development (which is not small) but then that data was inputted by Chris into the thing that the machine needed to make a game.  That pretty much describes how the whole thing went down throughout: we determined which vehicles would be in the game, BFC modeled them and put them into the engine.  We debated ICMs for what feels like an eon.  The only thing we truly "own" is on the content development and creation but again we did this with a lot of help from the Beta Team.

I can say that there is no way this game would have been built without the BFC guys.  Without Bil and I it still might have been built (if someone with Bil's reputation-level could convince Steve...heh, very big "if") but probably would have taken a lot longer.  BFC gave us the reigns though, which was a huge bonus.  We were empowered to make decisions within lanes of the game, which allowed us to move fast and with momentum.  

Now the real question is "can we do it again?"   

4 hours ago, The_Capt said:

It was kinda in the middle to be honest.  So Bil and I took on all of the TO&E research and development (which is not small) but then that data was inputted by Chris into the thing that the machine needed to make a game.  That pretty much describes how the whole thing went down throughout: we determined which vehicles would be in the game, BFC modeled them and put them into the engine.  We debated ICMs for what feels like an eon.  The only thing we truly "own" is on the content development and creation but again we did this with a lot of help from the Beta Team.

I can say that there is no way this game would have been built without the BFC guys.  Without Bil and I it still might have been built (if someone with Bil's reputation-level could convince Steve...heh, very big "if") but probably would have taken a lot longer.  BFC gave us the reigns though, which was a huge bonus.  We were empowered to make decisions within lanes of the game, which allowed us to move fast and with momentum.  

Now the real question is "can we do it again?"   

understood, it was more the "presumably with very little, if any, support" that isn't accurate.

• 2 weeks later...