How do you use a M577 effectively in CMCW?

Probus

56 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Basically its someplace for your command team to huddle in while the cluster bombs are falling.

Safer than being outside for sure...

My idea is to park that stuff in non-obvious places wither under trees or in the shadow of a building way behind the front line. 

H

4 hours ago, domfluff said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think the M577 has any exceptional spotting gear (it has a night vision sight, but that's not uncommon).

That would mean that it's main use is as a radio hub, and to transport and keep your CO alive.

It is exactly this - map boards and radios.  They generally set up in groups with tents extending from the back of them, often in a cruciform.  The middle of the cruciform is generally where the commander will stand over the map along with the principle staff officers and direct the battle.  The bigger the HQ the more vehicles and they are generally parked backed up so that all of the tentage is in the middle (see image).  It is not supposed to be charging around shooting at stuff.

M-577.thumb.jpg.06891acd6cf3081a84e6c1e23d48090c.jpg

17 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

It is exactly this - map boards and radios.  They generally set up in groups with tents extending from the back of them, often in a cruciform.  The middle of the cruciform is generally where the commander will stand over the map along with the principle staff officers and direct the battle.  The bigger the HQ the more vehicles and they are generally parked backed up so that all of the tentage is in the middle (see image).  It is not supposed to be charging around shooting at stuff.

M-577.thumb.jpg.06891acd6cf3081a84e6c1e23d48090c.jpg

I wouldn't set them up in the open like that in CW. Too much chance of a enemy air attack in this game. 

H

7 minutes ago, Halmbarte said:

I wouldn't set them up in the open like that in CW. Too much chance of a enemy air attack in this game. 

H

Correct - also the abundance of sand is not particularly reminiscent of northern Europe.  Nonetheless that is how they set up.  I was in the British Army during the Cold War and we would set up in very much a similar fashion.  The trick was to try and find an empty factory or a big enough farm with plenty of barns to set up in.

The viewpoint does negate a lot of the advantages, which is a shame. The ones that remain are really about margins - an existing spotting contact will resolve into a target faster than not having a spotting contact (by "faster" I actually mean "more likely", as in "will take fewer spotting cycles to resolve into, on average").

This basically means that you want to send a tank platoon over a rise into a known enemy with as many spotting contacts as possible, and give them the best chance in the upcoming engagement. It's very far from an automatic thing, but like everything else it's about tipping the scale in your favour in small increments, enough of which combined will sum to a perceptible advantage.

A lot of the time it won't matter - superior optics, numbers, position or relative suppression will wipe out any marginal benefit, but that's nothing new to stuff on a CM scale - for example, it doesn't really matter how your light machine gun compares technically to those of your opponent when you're being wiped out by heavy mortar fire.

There is no reason to put your M577 anywhere near the front.

They are there to give your HQ units a ride, and to facilitate their job. That is, they gain some mobility, some protection against artillery, and access to a radio and the facility to make tea.

Edited by domfluff

6 hours ago, domfluff said:

There is no reason to put your M577 anywhere near the front.

They are there to give your HQ units a ride, and to facilitate their job. That is, they gain some mobility, some protection against artillery, and access to a radio and the facility to make tea.

Can't speak for the M-577 but all British Army armoured vehicles have this capability.  Gentlemen, I present the Boiling Vessel (BV):

BV.jpg.004ca2be533058f287d9d864633ad9d3.jpg

Well, two actually, but you get the picture.

5 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Can't speak for the M-577 but all British Army armoured vehicles have this capability.  Gentlemen, I present the Boiling Vessel (BV):

BV.jpg.004ca2be533058f287d9d864633ad9d3.jpg

Well, two actually, but you get the picture.

Looks like it can be quickly transformed to the chemical warfare device.

There are a number of vehicles across the titles that are in the game because they're in the real world TO&E but are of little utility at CM scale. None of that is CM's fault, its just part of the world they're trying to simulate. You need to learn to work around the disadvantages as well as exploit the advantages,