Russian privately made doc on early days of Donbass war

Wanted to pass the word on this gritty intimate doc all filmed by one guy but am not posting a link because there most definitely is some gory stuff. Even so, it is rich in all sorts of details that ought to be very helpful. to the skin modders for weapons, buildings and more. It shows the environment, what really low level combat looks like and much more. It's on Vimeo.

"Donbass under fire: War is War" documentary by Maxim Fadeyev. 18+
Донбасс на линии огня. Фильм седьмой «На войне как на войне» 18+

Assault on the New Terminal of Donetsk International Airport, combat footage 16-18 January "Donbass under fire" documentary

Maxim is the only journalist who were at the terminal on the fisrt day of assault, he moved out to the New Terminal with "Sparta" troops to film the fights there, spent night in the New Terminal when only first and fourth floors were controlled by the militias while second and third floors were held by the UAF.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just watched the first two parts of the Ukrainian doc. and am watching the Russian one now.  The Russian one seems a little more emotional let's say.  It may be a mistake on my part but it was a little funny seeing the main guy being interviewed at the start saying there were no Russians, and then when they move off to "recon by fire" 5 mins. later the guy telling them where to go, and many others, were wearing what looked like telnyaski, both black (naval infantry) and blue (likely not navy, so apparently either VDV or GRU) and then later I spotted a Russian naval infantry patch (at this point: https://youtu.be/z68hA6qcQY0?t=1939).  A guy subsequently identifies as a Russian citizen, and says:

"...the enemy is at the gates, in short.  So for me, as a Russian citizen, Donetsk oblast is the gate, the enemy starts knocking at, so if we don't protect the gate, there's no guarantees that the enemy won't break into our home via our door.  In other words: I'm consciously here, not led by emotions, but, led by the meaningfulness of everything that's happening, by the deep understanding that... I have to protect the piece of my Motherland here, which I love just as much.  I guess for the most guys who're not indifferent about it... most of them are here".

A bit hard to defend your gate when it is in someone else's country from it's own people, but there you go.  A few people later say they are from Donetsk, and are defending their town, some from fascists.  Later on they are watching Enemy at the Gates on a TV in a bunker!  Used to love that film.  Perhaps it's why the guy in the quote above used that phrase.

I can't say either documentary is particularly good.  The Russian is more like propaganda, and is mostly training and emotional interviews with people (most of whom seem very demoralised), or talk in bunkers with artillery nearby, whereas the Ukrainian one seems like a basic war diary.  Honestly I was surprised and baffled the separatists gave for fighting, but I don't know much about the how the war is experienced on the ground.

On 6/26/2021 at 9:38 AM, John Kettler said:

...am not posting a link because there most definitely is some gory stuff

There is absolutely no gore in the film.  There is one guy with a bandaged leg injury.

Edited by fireship4

59 minutes ago, fireship4 said:

it was a little funny seeing the main guy being interviewed at the start saying there were no Russians, and then when they move off to "recon by fire" 5 mins. later the guy telling them where to go, and many others, were wearing what looked like telnyaski, and then later I spotted a Russian naval infantry patch

Classic 1984 style doublethink as practiced by USSR and China.  If you repeat a lie often enuff, eventually it gets believed. 

(Remember what's his name in Baghdad telling TV that there were no US forces nearby?   That didn't work cos one could see US tanks in the BG.  But, other than that am sure many would have believed him as he was a very convincing liar.)

7 minutes ago, Erwin said:

If you repeat a lie often enuff, eventually it gets believed. 

And the theory is, that the bigger the lie, the more readily it becomes accepted as truth, since "no one could make this up". Western powers are as guilty: where were Saddam's WMDs that presented an "imminent" threat to us, back at the start of the Century? Fell for that one, I did, hook, line and sinker: "They daren't lie about that; it's so easy to prove it's a lie once the facts come out on the ground," I thought. I was right that it was readily proved a lie. What I hadn't counted on was the shamelessness of Blair and Bush to press on with using these lies as justification for action in spite of being fully aware of their mendacity and that they would eventually be proven to have misled everyone.

Not saying either way whether Iraq 2 was, in the end, justifiable, just that those facts the leaders chose to use were plain, flat-out lies. Nor am I saying that any of their successors are any better.

On 9/30/2021 at 4:25 PM, Erwin said:

Classic 1984 style doublethink as practiced by USSR and China.  If you repeat a lie often enuff, eventually it gets believed. 

(Remember what's his name in Baghdad telling TV that there were no US forces nearby?   That didn't work cos one could see US tanks in the BG.  But, other than that am sure many would have believed him as he was a very convincing liar.)

Baghdad Bob 😁

Baghdad Bob Quotes - Hilarious Iraqi Information Minister Quotes (liveabout.com)

• 2 weeks later...