ST VITH DOCUMENTARY

There are a lot of WW2 documentaries made in the years following WW2 on Amazon Prime.  One very interesting one I just watched was the battles around St Vith.  Very interesting narratives from the generals Iincl von Manteuffel) down to ordinary soldiers.  Much new real action film I hadn't seen b4 shot by both US and German cameramen.   

Interesting highlights:  Shermans with wood logs and sandbags to enhance the armor. many tanks and HT;s incl Tiger II's and many great shots of bedraggled uniforms, and details of the villages, towns and terrain in the area.  Seems that much of the Bulge battles did not have snow.  Hopefully, inspirational for map and scenario designers.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B073CC5WNP/ref=atv_hm_hom_1_c_myhimm_2_2

• 3 months later...

damn just saw this.  I did the St Vith master map for CMFB.  Tough one as it is just a lot of ground to cover to do the real battle and beyond the capability of CM to really do.  Fascinating engagement and if you haven't read this I'd highly recommend. 

The Defense of St. Vith, Belgium (7tharmddiv.org) This used to be a free downable, but they indexed it etc and now it is on amazon for $25. I still have the original PDF.  Interesting excerpt

The only excitement there had been when an M8 armored car from Troop 3 destroyed a Tiger tank. The armored car had been in a concealed position near the boundary of Troop 3, 87th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron and Company A, 38th Armored Infantry Battalion, when the Tiger approached the lines at right angles to move along a trail in front of the main line of resistance. As the tank passed the armored car, the latter slipped out of position and started up the trail behind the Tiger, accelerating in an attempt to close. At the same moment the German tank commander saw the M8, and stated traversing his gun to beat on it. It was a race between the Americans, who were attempting to close so that their 37-mm gun would be effective on the Tiger's thin rear armor, and the Germans, who were desperately striving to bring their 88 to bear. Rapidly the M8 closed to 25 yards, and quickly pumped in three rounds; the lumbering Tiger stopped and shuddered; there was a muffled explosion, followed by flames which billowed out of the turret and engine ports, after which the armored cat returned to its position.

ballsy :D 

9 hours ago, sburke said:

Rapidly the M8 closed to 25 yards, and quickly pumped in three rounds; the lumbering Tiger stopped and shuddered; there was a muffled explosion, followed by flames which billowed out of the turret and engine ports, after which the armored cat returned to its position.

ballsy :D 

+1.  Great war story.