1941 Scenario Feasibility??

Obviously, CMRT (along with F&R) cover a time frame well after the early war period, however, I am curious if anyone had success (or at least tried) making scenarios that take place in 1941. I know with the TO&E for vehicles available this would would essentially make these infantry based (a few German vehicles could still fit the date range and would have been in service that early). Thoughts?

There is the Stalingrad mod that goes back to late 1942 and early 1943. I think trying 1941 would be limited to just infantry battles since most - if not all - 1941 AFVs will not be available in a sim of 1944. There could be a few carry over units as you mentioned so as to create hypothetical battles. However, anything historical is going to be a though one.  Off the top of my head, a motorized attack on a village in the Ukraine (August 1941) using a very long map might be fun to design even with some compromises.  

Edited by kevinkin

Not an expert on TO&E, but if a designer thinks a bit out of the box, an early war battle could be created. But the designer's tools will be limited. Just trying to design such a battle will be educational for those new to this hobby. Like I said above, a German motorized infantry truck attack across a long map ending in a infantry attack on a crossroad village might be fun to design and at least give get a sense of what it was like operationally in the summer of 1941. 

Edited by kevinkin

21 hours ago, Double Deuce said:

Obviously, CMRT (along with F&R) cover a time frame well after the early war period, however, I am curious if anyone had success (or at least tried) making scenarios that take place in 1941. I know with the TO&E for vehicles available this would would essentially make these infantry based (a few German vehicles could still fit the date range and would have been in service that early). Thoughts?

@kohlenklau just started a project to create early war scenarios. IIRC, he plans to base it on CMFI. Anyway, search for his thread or contact Kohl for info.

On 6/20/2021 at 1:12 PM, StieliAlpha said:

@kohlenklau just started a project to create early war scenarios. IIRC, he plans to base it on CMFI. Anyway, search for his thread or contact Kohl for info.

Yes indeed, having just played one of his scenarios  set near the Corinth Canal in Greece I can say that the idea has great potential. Needs some careful selection of forces of course.  If anyone can do it @kohlenklau can 👍.

7 hours ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

today is 80 years anniversary of Barbarossa

I mentioned this to my better half yesterday, to which I received the expected response - "what are you going on about now?".  Oh well, history is not for everyone 🙄😁.

On 6/19/2021 at 7:34 PM, Erwin said:

Thought that early model PzIV's and III's and Stugs could still be adapted.  I think PzII's are also available. 

I think the Stug had a shorter barrel at that time and the PzKpfW IV might have had another kind of barrel too and I think didn't have the side skirt to protect the treads againts AT-rifles.

But they existed, so they could probably be used in a 1941 mod.

I just use T-26 tanks for the Soviets, now we have valentines too. The t34-76 is ok as well, even though its the wrong variant. 

The Germans have a few toys to use, but could definitely incorporate from other games like CMFI. 

I wish BFC would just make their games compatible already.

I guess you can use partisans as Nkvd troops if you want to defend stalingrad... 

Edited by Artkin

1 hour ago, Double Deuce said:

Don't remember seeing T-26's in CMRT/FR. Is there a mod?

46 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

Perhaps that should have read T-70?  It's a bit early for it, but it is in the game.

Yeah I think thats what I meant. One of the Soviet light tanks. My bad

On 6/19/2021 at 9:20 AM, Double Deuce said:

<Has> anyone had success (or at least tried) making scenarios that take place in 1941.

YES. I enjoy them on my own hard drive. I have a prototype of earlier Soviet style uniforms with the collar and rank badges. German equipment in dunkelgrau. Tanks substituted in as needed using mdr shenanigans. Just for me against the AI. Other guys do this too...make mods for personal consumption and use. Skipping the greater effort to achieve the refinement required to release it to the forum is such a wonderful feeling to be honest. Or the opposite, you see the great effort required and just say nope, keep it rough sawn. :-)

1941 Ost Front Scenario Hamburger Helper Quick Recipe:

"FROZEN MEAT"

Set time as January 45? Location in Eastern Europe I suppose. Cold. Snow on the ground.

The new F&R winter uniforms really help. Set appearance as just greatcoats for Germans. If possible. Set Soviets to appropriate winter garb.

Just have German "landsers" with HMG34 and maybe an infantry gun or Pak38 in some fortifications and trenches. Purchase the security troops "Sicherungs"(?) at 50% manning. Try to delete any squad with an MG42 or STG44.

The Soviets can have some light tanks and armoured cars in winter camo.

Sounds fun to me.

On 6/22/2021 at 5:15 PM, BornGinger said:

I think the Stug had a shorter barrel at that time and the PzKpfW IV might have had another kind of barrel too and I think didn't have the side skirt to protect the treads againts AT-rifles.

But they existed, so they could probably be used in a 1941 mod.

Yes, both the early StuG III and Panzer IV had the short 75mm cannon. I think the only real tank that could be used without mod would be the Panzer IIIG from F&R.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the earliest would be early 43, Why?  I see the Volkssturm have a 37mm pak but ya cant change gun crews so that's out of the question.  At best the PZIIIs are late models, Long barrelled stugs, no t-34s with single turret hatch (early ones), you could do infantry vs partisans ok. There are some early vehicles like Krupp Protze but your really limited. 

I'm going to wait till Steve brings out CMKS 'Kursk Salient', with early stugs, KV's, BA-10, T-60s etc. Due to the success of CMCW I may die before 'Kursk' ever happens.   😜 

NOTE:  I would settle for CMCG, Combat Mission Khalkhin Gol

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 1:11 PM, Combatintman said:

Or you go the other way and say that Barbarossa began in 1944 and use the kit and units you've got.  It might be quite interesting to see how 1944 formations matched in the 1941 battles.

I mentioned previously somewhere on this forum to use CMFI to recreate a Tobruk '43 (Gazala battles) in this way. Using '43 tech for those Gazala scenarios would be some kind of fun I must say!