How do they prevent friendly fire between the base of fire and manoeuvre force IRL?

So, in circumstances where a manoeuvre force has to advance while the base of fire provides suprressing fire and flanking is not an option (assaulting a building, or a wide line of trenches for example), they would have to advance from more or less the same direction (say from bearing 180 and bearing 135 respectively). How do armies IRL prevent friendly fire in such cases? In CM, small arms fire dont seem to cause a lot of friendly fire (from my limited experience), so I'm really curious how this works out IRL.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Gungalley said:

In CM, small arms fire dont seem to cause a lot of friendly fire (from my limited experience)...

I can't give much useful help about your main question but I can shed light here... Your limited experience is 100% accurate within certain parameters in CM. Small arms are defined as bullets of less than 12mm calibre, so your Ma Deuce and its peers will inflict friendly casualties. And ricochets don't have any concept of "friendly", so even standard rifle and pistol calibre ammo can cause damage to your friends once it's bounced off a wall.

Section III in Chapter 2 of FM 3-21.8 The Infantry Platoon and Rifle Squad gives some insight how the US Army seeks to avoid danger to the own troops when engaging the enemy. Somewhere else there's also a table showing minimum distances to fire lanes to avoid that the own soldiers are endangered by the sabots discarded by armor penetrating ammunitions. I think for a Bradley its somewhere around 70 meters lateral offset and for tank main guns it's much much more.