Cold War for Mac

A super basic question - looking at the product side I cannot find the answer however - is there a Mac version of Cold war?

Reason I ask is that I haven’t played Battlefront games since Final Blitzkrieg, and I think I remembered reading that Mac wouldn’t be supported in the future.

Yes, there is a Mac version. It runs well on my 2014 vintage Mac Mini but it might have performance issues with the newest Apple computers with the M1 processor. Anyway, if you have a Mac with an Intel processor, you should be able to run it without particolar problems.

37 minutes ago, G. Smiley said:

A super basic question - looking at the product side I cannot find the answer however - is there a Mac version of Cold war?

Reason I ask is that I haven’t played Battlefront games since Final Blitzkrieg, and I think I remembered reading that Mac wouldn’t be supported in the future.

All the CMx2 games come with a nice Mac version.

However, the Steam release currently is Windows only.

15 minutes ago, G. Smiley said:

Great,

thanks for confirming!

I have a 2016 Macbook Pro and CMFB runs decent on it - I assume Cold War will run approx the same?

It will run even better.

Although CMFB is the 2nd fastest game, CMCW is a step above that. 

You can load bigger maps and play with more troops than ever before. 

• 1 month later...

Ability to play on Mac is frankly what brought me to Combat Mission games. I'm pleased that CMCW runs well on my newish intel mac mini. It sure ran great on a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro (but they weren't mine, and now they are gone). Super happy about it.

Gonna be up too late tonight fighting through 'Racing the Moon' scenario in the 1982 set.

I'm happy to report back six weeks later that CMCW runs incredibly well on my 2016 Macbook Pro. Currently running with 'Better' model and texture quality and large (2.5x2.5+ km) maps load rather quick and shows no lag when scrolling around the battlefield.

Cmcw really does run incredible. I would estimate a 1.3- 1.5x gain over CMFB (The last game they made). And I would estimate a 3-5x gain over titles like CMBN and CMSF. 

It's craaazy. I was able to run the largest map ever made for CM. 5.7km x 5.7km... Played in real time. 

On 7/27/2021 at 2:53 PM, Artkin said:

Cmcw really does run incredible. I would estimate a 1.3- 1.5x gain over CMFB (The last game they made). And I would estimate a 3-5x gain over titles like CMBN and CMSF. 

It's craaazy. I was able to run the largest map ever made for CM. 5.7km x 5.7km... Played in real time. 

It takes me about a 1.0-1.5 minutes to load a "big" CMCW game like a Czechmate. Save is somewhat faster - 1.33-1.5 times faster, yet even for them 40-60secs is kind of unbearable. ARMA3 takes 15-20 secs to load a real 3D game with all its glitz. It seems current CM engine has waaaaay overstayed its welcome. 

11 hours ago, IMHO said:

It takes me about a 1.0-1.5 minutes to load a "big" CMCW game like a Czechmate. Save is somewhat faster - 1.33-1.5 times faster, yet even for them 40-60secs is kind of unbearable. ARMA3 takes 15-20 secs to load a real 3D game with all its glitz. It seems current CM engine has waaaaay overstayed its welcome. 

But remember... Arma never was quick to load until Arma 3. And that was after a lot of time too. Arma 3 took a very long time to mature.

I assume OpenGL draws everything on the map at once. Where as DirectX only draws when you look in that direction or get closer. This is my assumption.

Edited by Artkin

On 7/31/2021 at 3:03 PM, Artkin said:

Arma never was quick to load until Arma 3. And that was after a lot of time too. Arma 3 took a very long time to mature.

1. I've been playing both franchises for about 20+ years so I remember the timeline :) OFP: ColdWar is 2001 whereas the first CM - CMBO - is 2000. ARMA2 is June, 2009 whereas CMSF is July, 2007. BUT ARMA3 is Sept, 2013 and CM Engine 4 is Dec, 2016 (but more like Jan, 2017 :)). So CM had more time to mature at first but later on fell behind. I'd call it a a pattern of progressive underinvestment into the engine :) So it'd be interesting to know how many people really understand CM engine internals by now... :)
  2. We can discuss AI/Scripting side if you're into it. I sometimes play with ARMA3 scripting when I'm fed up with selling PMs/BAs/QAs/Coders and want to vent it out with hands-on coding :)
On 7/31/2021 at 3:03 PM, Artkin said:

I assume OpenGL draws everything on the map at once. Where as DirectX only draws when you look in that direction or get closer. This is my assumption.

1. Don't know how it works :( But I kinda doubt you cannot customize viewport rendering in OpenGL. My guess is massive downside with going DirectX path goes with all those versions of Windows, DirectX, GPU drivers. It'll multiply your development/testing effort. But on the upside you can utilize GPU resources whereas CM cannot use more than 20%-40% of a platform's computing resources.
  2. Loading time certainly has nothing to do with OpenGL/DirectX. My first guess would be there's no pre-loading/pre-processing the maps - every time we load CM engine "starts fresh". And secondly it's most probably an architectural problem - too many layers, using "consumer" libs or being too high level with abstractions.
  3. All those things will end up in bottom line of Steam sales channel. Those are not the folk used to "CMesque experience". I kinda think CMCW is a swan song of CM :(
Edited by IMHO