Map Making Guide

1 minute ago, Zemke said:

Is there a map making guide somewhere.  The manual seems very vague.

Particularly how to get roads pointed in the right direction.

You can't - you have the choice of straight up, down, left or right and diagonal road tiles.  If you're trying to map a real place using the overlay feature, the top tip is to orientate your overlay so that the important/major roads or the majority of the roads flow to fit the limited choices you have see below:

2049129654_MapOverlayOrientation.thumb.jpg.cdd029fe3fd11c5c1d2f9ad5c72d5aca.jpg

If you look at the image, you can see a whole heap of tracks through the forest which I decided should run north to south to make the map making easier.  If you look at the topographical overlay, you can see that I have tilted it so that north in real life is actually pointing NW (the grid line runs from number '171' at the bottom of the image).  You can also see that with the other roads and the railway line, I just have to compromise and make the best job I can of getting them to generally flow in the intended direction.

This is a 3D view of part of the map:

3D.thumb.jpg.905b4d6b078ed7557f4a447c2a137afa.jpg

Which although not 100% accurate doesn't look too shabby.