kohlenklau's Vehicle Modding Test Idiot Log

4 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

I used colorize on Italians with Hue-Saturation (Yellow) Lightness+21, Saturation +54. Hue-Saturation (Green) Saturation -66. White layer softlight mode 57% opacity.

QvbrNMq.png

Trying to make these guys. Looking for the Pith helmet in a FREE stl file I can use Blender on. 

FRmyM9o.png

Did you find one ? If not...;)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Erwin said:

The jerrycans are a nice touch.  Obscures the CO's visions tho'.  Wonder if they were only put there when in "transport/travel mode".  Would provide a nice refreshing shower for the driver and radio chappy if hit.

You got me Tony! They always seemed iconic and so I took some time and made it happen... 

found the right font for the turret numbers DIN 1451 Mittelschrift. No more using the magic wand to try and copy the numbers from a decal sheet jpeg... 

Though I see I need to tweak the red saturation and maybe throw a few blending layers of tan and brown dust over it...with a low opacity. Damn! I am starting to sound like I sort of know what I am effing talking about. Very odd feeling with CM modding... :-)

gNi4H2j.png

Edited by kohlenklau

27 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

found the right font for the turret numbers DIN 1451 Mittelschrift. No more using the magic wand to try and copy the numbers from a decal sheet jpeg... 

Though I see I need to tweak the red saturation and maybe throw a few blending layers of tan and brown dust over it...with a low opacity. Damn! I am starting to sound like I sort of know what I am effing talking about. Very odd feeling with CM modding... 🙂

gNi4H2j.png

You talk already like a professional...anyway you are already one with all the advices that you added, and let us know,

I will list all interesting threads and make out of them the "bible of Kohl".

Or "Kohl modding advice"

Waiting for more...

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

2 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

I put all the turret numeral layers in a layer group and set the group to soft light layer mode. Down at the bottom right is my prototype of a DAK M41 feld mutze.

wa79879.png

Great job Phil, but on a minor note I think perhaps the 8's are upside down (i.e. the larger circles should be at the bottom)? Please don't shoot the messenger 🙏.

42 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

Great job Phil, but on a minor note I think perhaps the 8's are upside down (i.e. the larger circles should be at the bottom)? Please don't shoot the messenger 🙏.

Yeah! You were right. I had been staring at it, scratching my head. Thanks for mentioning it. It was just on the starboard side of the turret. The others were correct.

Oh hey guys. I have been wanting to do this and now I was finally able to pull this off. I call it...

"KO'd tanks as flavor objects"

Took a few hours of trial and error. I have used Blender to freeze some tanks in a "more exciting pose of being KO'd"...

In this screenshot, junk7 flavor object tank is KO'd PzIV with 800 numerals on the turret pointed at 10 o'clock. junk8 flavor object tank is a slightly different PzIV with numerals 807 and gun pointed towards 7 o'clock. Followed by a living tank with numerals 808. I can put a burning vehicle (itself made transparent with an alpha layer) inside either 800 or 807 as needed. The front hull hatches are also opened so some of the crew escaped. I can put on a hit decal as well... 

g9TSJrq.png

"KO'd tanks as flavor objects"

The stock BFC KO'd tanks are pretty lame. The gun is ALWAYS at 12 o'clock. They remove some turret side hatches. Not opened, just disappeared!

To make your own, import the vehicle mdr into Blender. Rotate the turret and all other items on the turret. R Z 110 or whatever angle. It looks funky in Blender as you do it. It all gets misaligned but then looks good in the game. If it looks good in Blender it will probably misalign in the game. Export without metadata and save as your desired flavor object in z folder. Then go into scenario editor 2D map to plop down that flavor object and verify in 3D if it looks good. THEN you can hexedit the mdr file to rename the turret bmp files so you can get the art looking different. replace pz-ivg-turret with pz-ivg-turre7 or pz-ivg-turre8 and do GiMP work on those renamed files to make the tank look different. You can do the hull art too if you want. Of course the new bmp files go in your z.

EDIT: I want to also have the barrel elevation be different. I tried but it didn't work. I have to learn how to isolate/designate the axis of rotation to the proper axis. The same with the commanders hatch and turret side hatches. Open them up like the entire crew was able to escape or at least drag off the guy who was injured.

Edited by kohlenklau

EDIT: OK, I started with the all dark yellow PzIIIG turret/hull/wheels bmp files we got with F&R. I ran each through the same technique in GiMP. I selected by color the Thomas's English Muffins nooks and crannies darker rivets and crevices. Put that in a layer mask with black fill color. Then in that layer mask's active layer, I colorized. First try was off the internet dunkelgrau code 7a888e. Way too light! I was bummed for several days. Finally got the time to open separately in GiMP a museum color photo of a Pz38T and used the eye dropper to grab what I call Panzer Grey code 313a41. That has some good Barbarossa flavor!

kFW9roJ.png

Edited by kohlenklau

Vehicle modding sometimes reminds me of working on a car. You can have a task progressing ok but then you fumble a fastener and spend an hour trying to retrieve it from the engine compartment. Like this side hatch pistol port issue. The bmp has the images for the port and starboard sides of the turret BUT also has TWO separate images for the pistol port flaps BUT it seems one is redundant and unused and instead ONE is reversed/mirrored to be both sides. THAT is where you hit a snag. The emergency response for this situation is to use symmetric numerals such as your 0, 1 and 8. Standby...

EDIT: also seen below is the bug reported where the bow mg tracks in z-axis rotation WITH the turret rotation. @Frenchy56 Doctor Frenchy, can you provide any mdr surgery to help this patient? :-)

oIPTioQ.png

Edited by kohlenklau