How can one determine if a stream is passable or not?

34 minutes ago, nikolai said:

It is so frustrating when instead of straight-line path your tanks take detour through enemy positions and get busted... Is there a way to know in advance whether a tank will be able to cross a stream or it will be forced to drive around?

w95lYOJ.png

When plotting a movement hold the mouse over the stream and surrounding area, it will show you if it’s passable by the selected unit

MMM

Streams are generally fordable, the only time they shouldn't be is if the tile on which they are painted or tiles on either side of the stream contain impassable terrain.  You just have to move your cursor over the area you want to cross and see whether it shows it as being impassable.  I accept that this is fiddly but it is the only way to be sure.

Some watercourses are impassable to non-amphibious vehicles, but passable by infantry. The cursor-hovering method is the only way to check who can cross any given piece of terrain from "afar" without zooming your view along the river bed, and even then you need to be able to judge what the depth implies for its fordability.

29 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Except dismounts can cross some types of terrain that vehicles can't.

Indeed, which means that you need to check with the hover-cursor method, with each type of element that you might want to cross the obstacle (whether it's water, a hedge, or a terrain tile type. The cursor will react based on the unit you have selected at the time.

32 minutes ago, womble said:

Indeed, which means that you need to check with the hover-cursor method, with each type of element that you might want to cross the obstacle (whether it's water, a hedge, or a terrain tile type. The cursor will react based on the unit you have selected at the time.

I know - I said so in my first post on this thread - two up from yours.

Thanks for your replies! Yes, I am aware of the cursor-hovering method. However, in this case I cannot see any impassable tiles in this part of the map. Actually, my original screenshot was supposed to show that all the tiles in the path are kind of considered passable (you cannot put a waypoint into an impassable tile, can you?). Still, the tank refuses to cross the stream and decides to drive around the stream (the stream ends on the other side of the map, deep into the enemy position).

I wonder if it could be somehow related to muddy ground conditions. I wonder if some tiles could have turned impassable because of it, while cursor-hovering method keeps assuming dry ground conditions.

Edited by nikolai

8 minutes ago, nikolai said:

(you cannot put a waypoint into an impassable tile, can you?).

No, you can't. 

It's kind of hard to tell but maybe the ground tiles in-between the Slow waypoints are impassable? The tiles that are immediately before and after the stream.        

39 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

It's kind of hard to tell but maybe the ground tiles in-between the Slow waypoints are impassable? The tiles that are immediately before and after the stream.        

No. I have checked it multiple times. There is no impassable tiles in this location. The nearest impassable tile is pretty far from this path, under the tree. Here's the video: https://streamable.com/bmqixg (sorry for capturing video with the phone, for some reason OBS doesn't capture cursor in CM).

7 minutes ago, nikolai said:

looks like a bug.

I wouldn't call it a bug, you also try to manually adjust the speed from moving to slow. There is no need for it. Like some experienced players pointed out to me before, fast mode unless you have a reason not to. Crossing streams is not one of them. Apparently, some guys tested this. Vehicles bog as frequently on slow as on fast. Units sometimes make tactical decisions which override the player.  

22 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

I wouldn't call it a bug, you also try to manually adjust the speed from moving to slow. There is no need for it. Like some experienced players pointed out to me before, fast mode unless you have a reason not to. Crossing streams is not one of them. Apparently, some guys tested this. Vehicles bog as frequently on slow as on fast. Units sometimes make tactical decisions which override the player.  

I have just tried changing the movement type to Fast or Quick. It didn't help. The tank still refuses to cross the stream and tries to go around it. How can it be not a bug? I mean, why do you think it is a feature?

12 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Which battle is this? Other players might be able to test it for you.

Sure. It's "A Muddy Affair" battle. There is a stream on the left-hand side. Most of it cannot be crossed (according to cursor-hovering), but there is a pretty big segment of the stream that appears fordable. Feel free to try it and please share your results.

16 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Units sometimes make tactical decisions which override the player.  

It's a lame excuse. Every time pixel soldiers do some nonsense, someone says that it's a feature, a clever tactical AI. But every time someone asks for Ambush command or ability to mount/dismount at the interim waypoint, the answer is that it's too much for the AI.

/////////////////////POSSIBLE SPOILER/////////////////////////////

///////////////////////EDITOR MAP DISPLAYED ///////////////////////////////////////////////

On 6/12/2021 at 12:42 AM, nikolai said:

It is so frustrating when instead of straight-line path your tanks take detour through enemy positions and get busted... Is there a way to know in advance whether a tank will be able to cross a stream or it will be forced to drive around?

w95lYOJ.png

The No-Go terrain, marsh tiles, are placed at an angle running along the stream.  This allows for the placement of waypoints on passable terrain.  But vehicles must go around to reach the far side of the stream since the marsh tiles are connected in the corner.

I've never experienced this before that I can recall.  This situation is confusing and frustrating.  Map design can have some unexpected consequences sometimes.    

sRVH8Cwh.jpg

35 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

The No-Go terrain, marsh tiles, are placed at an angle running along the stream.  This allows for the placement of waypoints on passable terrain.  But vehicles must go around to reach the far side of the stream since the marsh tiles are connected in the corner.

Yes this is what I thought too. But I'm still a bit puzzled, because if you look at @nikolai's video, it seems he's scanning directly over the swamp tiles, and the cursor doesn't change to show those tiles are impassable?

I just gave it a go myself. There are stretches along the stream where the cursor remains green, but my tank still heads off up the road. And I think that Mosser has it right, because the tiles are meeting on an angle when you run your cursor across the tile it doesn't flip to red. But shift it just a fraction and it does. Very frustrating.