Forum upvote/thanks/like

2 hours ago, Howler said:

Anyone know the difference between the three? I'm particularly interested what 'upvote' means in the context of this board.

Like and Upvote are pretty much the same. While poking around yesterday I saw that there were a lot of those kinds of things that can be enabled. I chose to only add the "Thanks" one because often someone will ask a question and someone else will give them the answer......So, I thought that was nice. I'm not interested in enabling any of the negative ones. I like to think of this forum as a happy place.

So

THANKS = SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM

which we see on other forums.

---

I agree with you John ... it is not the forum bells and whistles but the caliber of the people present that make the community.

I have never asked a question, and been told I am idiot or asked if I know how to do a search.

Often I find myself asking a narrow question, but responses wonder as they tend to, and I learn so much more.

It's nice gaming community.

Edited by markshot

29 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Like and Upvote are pretty much the same. While poking around yesterday I saw that there were a lot of those kinds of things that can be enabled. I chose to only add the "Thanks" one because often someone will ask a question and someone else will give them the answer......So, I thought that was nice. I'm not interested in enabling any of the negative ones. I like to think of this forum as a happy place.

And in a selfless act of modesty, you've disabled the option to Like/Upvote/Thank on your posts? Boooo!

:)

9 minutes ago, Canuck21 said:

So, where does one go to find these settings (as in turning them on/off/whatever) for your own account? Not sure I'm grasping the concept here.

Lower right of post, you should see a heart. Clicking that heart icon now reveals upvote/thank.

Just tried to both upvote and thank your post but only the last one selected seems to stick. Anyhow, we can: Like, Thank, or Upvote.

Edited by Howler

32 minutes ago, Canuck21 said:

So, where does one go to find these settings (as in turning them on/off/whatever) for your own account? Not sure I'm grasping the concept here.

I was mostly joking about BFCElvis having turned them off... Though as an admin, it may've been within his purview. We humble members don't, I believe, have a way of disabling reactions to our posts. We can activate or turn off the notifications of them, but not stop others using the feature.

You need to enable negative voting because nothing bad could possibly happen if you did that. 😈(sarcasm)

But seriously, I think negative feedback is abused in most places and causes an "echo chamber" effect, not to mention a more toxic environment.  Good choice @BFCElvis.  I would thank an upvote you but... :) 

2 hours ago, Probus said:

You need to enable negative voting because nothing bad could possibly happen if you did that. 😈(sarcasm)

But seriously, I think negative feedback is abused in most places and causes an "echo chamber" effect, not to mention a more toxic environment.  Good choice @BFCElvis.  I would thank an upvote you but... :) 

Some time ago we were able to give negative votes, and a bunch of schoolyard bully asswipes (who are still on these forums btw) decided to gang up on a member cos they didn't like him or his opinions and these lovely chaps deliberately set out to humiliate him with several hundred negative votes.  Of course now those same asswipes are trying to be "oh so respectable and responsible" senior members lol.  They still can't help but make snarky remarks now and then, so one can probably guess who they are.

Getting rid of negative voting was a smart move by BF.  Govt contractor bosses tend to be very sensitive about that sort of thing in my experience with DoD.

13 hours ago, dbsapp said:

I would prefer downvotes only, no upvotes.

To make discussion more heated, it would be wise to make several types of downvote, like "contempt", "hatred" and "despise you" options that could be involuntary pinned to the user's profile.

:lol::D:wub:

7 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I'm not sure about this new fangled five star malarky. I want my insignia of rank to be a sliver silk cummerbund, like in the good old days. 

Racf8db85d940a65d4a326329e36e4583.jpg

I wonder how much nicer silk must have been. I imagine silk making is one of those things lost to time (for the most part).

• 2 weeks later...