Bridge Demolition?

There was commentary about this, particularly around Market Garden, for obvious reasons - but I think it's mostly out of scale, and it's more a question of scenario/campaign design (e.g., if you hold the bridge at the end of the mission, you can go down the route with the destroyed/not destroyed bridge, as appropriate).

Ok, that makes sense to me. I was hoping the engineers could blow it or something and I couldn't find anything in the manual about doing that, so I thought there may be some little secret that I hadn't come across. Holding it, it is then.

Thank you for this :) .

Yeah the actual mechanics and setup for demoing a bridge is longer than the typical scenario. So BFC decided it would work as @domfluff described.

Also as @domfluff says artillery can destroy a bridge. But direct tank fire can too. There are no intermediate damage models for most (all?) bridges so you will not get feedback that your HE is having an effect until on turn it collapses.

It would be nice/fun to be able to simulate an explosive prepped bridge blowing up - so the objective would be to either get to the bridge to prevent it from blowing, or to fight one's way there to activate the explosives - like the we we do with CMSF's IUD's. 

Just now, Erwin said:

It would be nice/fun to be able to simulate an explosive prepped bridge blowing up - so the objective would be to either get to the bridge to prevent it from blowing, or to fight one's way there to activate the explosives - like the we we do with CMSF's IUD's. 

Briefly, once, maybe. But effectively, if the objective is "get the bridge before it gets blown up", what you have is a time limit, or a victory location for the "defender" that will, if reached or something, automatically assign enough VP to win the scenario. So all the "simulation" would add is the SfX of the bridge blowing up. Not a great return on the work invested.

5 minutes ago, womble said:

So all the "simulation" would add is the SfX of the bridge blowing up. Not a great return on the work invested.

Depends on how much work is invested.  It's not clear that it would be any harder than the CMSF IED activation, plus a large explosion that we already have when a 2,000lb bomb lands, plus a graphic of a destroyed bridge - as in any destroyed building.

5 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Depends on how much work is invested.  It's not clear that it would be any harder than the CMSF IED activation, plus a large explosion that we already have when a 2,000lb bomb lands, plus a graphic of a destroyed bridge - as in any destroyed building.

Plus the effort of setting up the detonation mechanic/UI for the player/scenario designer to have the trigger... That's the "work" part.

Was hoping that the explosion could automatically occur at a set time, like preset artillery barrage.  Perhaps an objective would be rescue units (and accumulate victory points) across the bridge and EXIT b4 detonation, or... cross the bridge to reach an objective b4 detonation.  

2 hours ago, IanL said:

Yeah the actual mechanics and setup for demoing a bridge is longer than the typical scenario. So BFC decided it would work as @domfluff described.

Also as @domfluff says artillery can destroy a bridge. But direct tank fire can too. There are no intermediate damage models for most (all?) bridges so you will not get feedback that your HE is having an effect until on turn it collapses.

Ok, that's good to know. I understand the reasoning behind BF's way of handling it. I just wasn't sure if engineers could blast it the way they do walls, although walls are a lot thinner and smaller than bridges. Thanks for this.

Hey Glenn

Here is something I did back half a decade I guess. A little LSD in your Dewers.

What I call a prestaged saved game scenario...

<<and the part that you can consider for use...>>

...with the breach team blowing through a wall to an ultra-high value touch objective to simulate the  demolition of a bridge and you win.

If you have questions, give me a shout. 

10 hours ago, Erwin said:

Was hoping that the explosion could automatically occur at a set time, like preset artillery barrage.  Perhaps an objective would be rescue units (and accumulate victory points) across the bridge and EXIT b4 detonation, or... cross the bridge to reach an objective b4 detonation.  

You'd still have to have a UI for setting that time.

You might be able to fudge it by having the requisite assault gun (pick one with a thin skin and have it turn up with no crew) arrive on the bridge as reinforcements, and hope one of the attackers' anti-armour units spots it and pops it before the player can stop it...

Got it - Thanks for this :) . I'll have a good look at it. This thought originally spawned from the scenario I just released so that one is "set" (I tend not to revisit previously released work), but it could help a lot going forward. Much appreciated :) .

On an unrelated matter, please check your messages. Got a little "project" for you that you asked me about some time back ;) . Might be right up your alley. 

Thanks again