Jump to content

Bad Luck Charlie (Triple Kill)


Recommended Posts

In a CW game I'm playing, I just got hit with a '3-fer'.  A T-72 tank just tagged one of my M113s (insta-death).  The explosion took out a Jeep on the left hand side that happened to be moving past AND destroyed an M150 that was unbuttoned to the right that didn't even have LoS to the tank yet. 

I need to make a mini video of the incident.

I can't say it wasn't realistic, but I can gripe about it! I have the worst luck.  I think it rubs off on my co-commanders too.

A previous Red Thunder game saw two of his PzIVs get knocked out by a JS-II in one shot and then a couple of turns later another PzIV got tagged by a JS-II. The shot continued on to a Tiger that was behind it and knocked it out also (that didn't seem realistic).

The sad thing was, in both cases, the JS-IIs missed their primary targets and hit these tanks that they had no LoS to (that I could tell).

Anyway, the fortunes of war...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I once read how a Tiger II finished off an immobile Tiger II that had to be left behind on the battlefield, hitting it caused the gun of the immobile tank to fire, it hit the Tiger II and killed the whole crew. Now that's what I call bad luck. 

Edited by Aragorn2002
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

a Tiger II finished off an immobile Tiger II that had to be left behind on the battlefield, hitting it caused the gun of the immobile tank to fire, it hit the Tiger II and killed the whole crew.

Probably the inspiration for the little known comedy movie by Leni Riefenstahl "Dummkopfs of the SS" which for some reason was not approved for distribution by Goebbels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I once read how a Tiger II finished off an immobile Tiger II that had to be left behind on the battlefield, hitting it caused the gun of the immobile tank to fire, it hit the Tiger II and killed the whole crew. Now that's what I call bad luck. 

Get out of here, let's see some proof!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Get out of here, let's see some proof!

Not making this up, if that's what you're suggesting. I'm sure other forum members know about this incident. Might have been Panthers though. Checking one of my books by Axel Urbanke now.

Edited by Aragorn2002
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Not making this up, if that's what you're suggesting. I'm sure other forum members know about this incident.

I believe you @Aragorn2002. I was looking for this incident and it looks like most Tiger IIs were destroyed by their own side because 1) they had very few recovery vehicles and 2) mechanical issues.  The Germans were ordered not to tow a Tiger II with another Tiger II because of the fear of losing both. 

The most Tiger IIs killed in a single day was 14. All of them destroyed by their own crews. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Not making this up, if that's what you're suggesting. I'm sure other forum members know about this incident. Might have been Panthers though. Checking one of my books by Axel Urbanke now.

Negative, I just want to read it myself, it sounds super interesting. 

4 hours ago, Probus said:

I believe you @Aragorn2002... . The most Tiger IIs killed in a single day was 14. All of them destroyed by their own crews. 

Wtf 14 

 

Also, WHY CANT I DELETE "@ARAGORN" ON MOBILE THIS IS BROKEN 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Artkin said:

Negative, I just want to read it myself, it sounds super interesting. 

 

I also remember that this tragedy was quite a blow to the morale of the unit involved. I will find it, but I have way too many books, that's the problem. Can't sometimes even find a book, let alone certain information in it.

A very strange case of friendly fire, but war is chaos. Always was and always will be.

Edited by Aragorn2002
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It often feels like the M113s have armor which is only designed to protect against vigorously thrown paperclips. While playing as the Soviets, I managed to clip the M2 on one with a Sabot round and somehow kill everyone inside the vehicle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I also remember that this tragedy was quite a blow to the morale of the unit involved. I will find it, but I have way too many books, that's the problem. Can't sometimes even find a book, let alone certain information in it.

A very strange case of friendly fire, but war is chaos. Always was and always will be.

If you find it again, that would be great. I saw that 85mm really just bounced off the front. It would have been an awesome weapon if it had had time to be developed before it was rushed into production. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Probus said:

If you find it again, that would be great. I saw that 85mm really just bounced off the front. It would have been an awesome weapon if it had had time to be developed before it was rushed into production. 

I agree. The same goes for the Panther tank. It would have been wise to at least wait for another half year before sending it to the front. But I also think the Tiger II, which in fact was a super Panther, was far from successful. I once read that for every Tiger II two Panthers could have been produced. Far better value for the money. I also don't like the Jagdtiger. Waste of money and resources. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I agree. The same goes for the Panther tank. It would have been wise to at least wait for another half year before sending it to the front. But I also think the Tiger II, which in fact was a super Panther, was far from successful. I once read that for every Tiger II two Panthers could have been produced. Far better value for the money. I also don't like the Jagdtiger. Waste of money and resources. 

Thoughts on the Elefant and its performance? ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, evilman222 said:

It often feels like the M113s have armor which is only designed to protect against vigorously thrown paperclips. While playing as the Soviets, I managed to clip the M2 on one with a Sabot round and somehow kill everyone inside the vehicle.

LMAO I've had things like this happen. That is dumb as hell

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Artkin said:

Thoughts on the Elefant and its performance? ;)

Another impressive and not entirely unsuccessful vehicle, but not worth the money and resources. German tank development and production during ww2 was quite disastrous and chaotic, same as the aircraft development and production. Way too many ludicrous projects. They should have concentrated on Pz III/IV until 1943 and after that on Pz IV/V. And as many StuGs and Marders as they could build. No Jurassic Park projects like the Tiger II, Jagdtiger or Elefant. After 1944 the Jagdpanther would have been the best answer on the JS-tank. 

 

Edited by Aragorn2002
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Thoughts on the Elefant and its performance?

My 2 Bobs worth. It had a nice gun, would be more useful for defending Berlin than attacking Moscow. Getting from A to B is the problem for the German Armor too unreliable and the fact European bridges couldn't handle 70-ton monsters. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Probus said:

Those JS-II tanks were beasts! Did I mention the last game we played against them we hit a JS-II three times with 88mm fire from a Tiger and it just shrugged it off. 

Imagine what kind of impact the JS-III would have had when the war would have dragged on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Another impressive and not entirely unsuccessful vehicle, but not worth the money and resources. German tank development and production during ww2 was quite disastrous and chaotic, same as the aircraft development and production. Way too many ludicrous projects. They should have concentrated on Pz III/IV until 1943 and after that on Pz IV/V. And as many StuGs and Marders as they could build. No Jurassic Park projects like the Tiger II, Jagdtiger or Elefant. After 1944 the Jagdpanther would have been the best answer on the JS-tank. 

 

German everything production during the war was a cluster. Germany didn’t have the resources needed for a major war from the beginning of the war in steel, aluminum, or oil. 
 

This book does a great job of analyzing German production in the pre-war and WWII timeframe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wages_of_Destruction

 

H

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Halmbarte said:

German everything production during the war was a cluster. Germany didn’t have the resources needed for a major war from the beginning of the war in steel, aluminum, or oil. 
 

This book does a great job of analyzing German production in the pre-war and WWII timeframe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wages_of_Destruction

 

H

Absolutely agree. And this is indeed a very informative book.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...