Is there a reason there has not been any Pacific campaigns

Yes, I was never keen on Pacific Theater as the fun parts were primarily air and naval - or so WITPAE seems to show.  I imagine one atoll or stretch of jungle is much like any other.

However, there is a Pacific War mod that enable one to play some island scenarios.

Looking at what the successful cardboard game companies are selling however, it seems that there is a perennial demand for early war and Afrika Korps games - those seem very much to be the bread and butter titles.

On 6/4/2021 at 4:12 PM, Erwin said:

Yes, I was never keen on Pacific Theater as the fun parts were primarily air and naval - or so WITPAE seems to show.  I imagine one atoll or stretch of jungle is much like any other.

However, there is a Pacific War mod that enable one to play some island scenarios.

Looking at what the successful cardboard game companies are selling however, it seems that there is a perennial demand for early war and Afrika Korps games - those seem very much to be the bread and butter titles.

Yep, I remember that I played some pacific battles with Steel Panthers, but never really liked them. Except for one, where I had naval artillery support from a heavy cruiser. Did not add much excitement to the game, but it was a great show….

9 hours ago, Pilaf said:

CM2 is tank centric and excels at this. Pacific theater would be light on tanks, especially for the Japanese.  Maybe Korean War would be more suitable? 

Korean War  would be great , mostly WW2 stuff , as far as infantry is concerned , would need vehicle and some arty upgrades for the US/S. Korean side. Communist forces and maps would be the build. I think Black Sea could mod out a " what if" of a modern Korean conflict. Hey you could kill 2 birds with one stone, mostly, map wise. 

• 1 month later...

I am open minded about Pacific War CM.  A few months ago if you'd said, "How about CM CW?" I'd have replied, "Well, I'm not really bothered. I doubt I'll buy it."

Build it and they will come.

But I did and I am really enjoying it.  I think CM PacWar would have takers and interest.  I don't expect battlefront to be interested, but it does have all sorts of tactical challenges, and of course there are both Japanese and US tanks participating in quite a lot of battles. Never say never, huh?

1 hour ago, JulianJ said:

I think CM PacWar would have takers and interest.  I don't expect battlefront to be interested, but it does have all sorts of tactical challenges, and of course there are both Japanese and US tanks participating in quite a lot of battles. Never say never, huh?

Re PacWar, my sense is that currently there is more interest in modern versions - eg: China vs Taiwan with US support; China vs Vietnam with US support.  Maybe even China invades Australia to distract the west from China grabbing all of the S. China Sea and intimidating Indonesia and the Phillipines etc...

Also, India vs China.  They are already skirmishing around the 4 Corners area of Bhutan in the Himalayas:

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/07/10/535976567/in-a-remote-himalayan-corner-tensions-rise-between-india-and-china

And almost forgot the obvious: N. Korea invades the S with Chinese help.

Edited by Erwin

• 2 weeks later...

I think Pacific war could be very interresting @Aquila-SmartWargames was showing us a forget battle and mod from I think @LongLeftFlank from a couple of years ago, and Aquila and his reworked mod was really interresting, probably and I hope in a short future they will be somebody clever enough to swim in the cold water and take the head to make something about this period and added for exemple others nations like Australia  Birmania, perhaps Chinese...who know, and when this happened he can count of my support that I can give...

JM

Jungle/dense forest fighting works as well as any other CM infantry fight, guys. It has its own unique and interesting tactical challenges. It's really no more (or less) of a micro hassle than fighting urban scenarios -- easier in a way since you don't have multiple building levels to deal with. And the tree toggle is handy.

The main problem with the current game engine in modeling this kind of fighting is that it *massively* undermodels concealment (targets are wayyyyy too easy to spot), and even the densest vegetation types are still way too easy to see through. 

To offset this in my Makin scenario, I made extensive use of gapped low bocage segments which truncate LOS and allow lots of sneak and peek.
It's also important to use Green troops on the US side, to reflect the exhaustion that rapidly sets in, requiring commitment of fresh forces.

m9.jpg

battle-of-makin-large-56a61bf33df78cf772

M3_Stuart_Light_Tank_bogged_down_on_Maki

Edited by LongLeftFlank

5 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Jungle/dense forest fighting works as well as any other CM infantry fight, guys. It has its own unique and interesting tactical challenges. It's really no more (or less) of a micro hassle than fighting urban scenarios

I made extensive use of gapped low bocage segments which truncate LOS and allow lots of sneak and peek.

Yep.  This!!

Also using gapped bocage is an interesting idea.  

On 7/28/2021 at 10:27 AM, LongLeftFlank said:

To offset this in my Makin scenario, I made extensive use of gapped low bocage segments which truncate LOS and allow lots of sneak and peek.

On 7/28/2021 at 3:49 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

Also using gapped bocage is an interesting idea.

Yes indeedy. Bocage and low bocage, and even hedges to a lesser extent, are incredibly flexible for creating interesting ground cover. They can be combined with so many different ground textures and other foliage such as trees, bushes and brush to create a variety of dense cover. I have similarly experimented with using gapped bocage as the basis for thickets in European woods and forests since this is something which is missing as a foliage type in all the games. The results are surprisingly convincing in game and provide both concealment and more or less cover, especially when viewed from ground level.