Which stance to reduce effectiveness of infantry fire

The original premise was infantry in to open at 100m.  That 100m is important because its in accurate lethal range of EVERYTHING (bar hand grenades). Its kind'a hard to minimize your troop's exposure in those conditions, especially as everyone's got automatic weapons. I'm reminded of an old Henny Youngman joke: The patient says, "Doc, it hurts when I do this." The doc says "Then don't do that!"

6 hours ago, womble said:

The problem, I think, is of miscommunication.

Somehow, they spot a lot better than the other units. Not by testing but by just playing the game. Spotting is also related to experience. Veterans spot a lot better. We have 2 versions of English on this forum normal standard and combat mission English. Attack and Assault also have different meanings depending on the author of a scenario. I am not surprised there is miscommunication. In SF2 a sniper spots the enemy but an elite FO next to him doesn't. They better do some more testing instead of telling us off. With the best of intentions, I just share my gaming experience. 

4 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Somehow, they spot a lot better than the other units. Not by testing but by just playing the game. Spotting is also related to experience. Veterans spot a lot better. We have 2 versions of English on this forum normal standard and combat mission English. Attack and Assault also have different meanings depending on the author of a scenario. I am not surprised there is miscommunication. In SF2 a sniper spots the enemy but an elite FO next to him doesn't. They better do some more testing instead of telling us off. With the best of intentions, I just share my gaming experience. 

The issue here is that you're not listening when people tell you that you are mistaken. There's nothing special about a sniper team that gives them better spotting abilities - there never has been and likely never will be. What makes a sniper a sniper in CM2 is that fancy scope bolted to his rifle and the Marksman tag underneath his weapon icon. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you had stopped at "more skilled troops spot better", then you'd have been right and there would have been no need for correction. But, once you made the nonsense assertion that sniper teams have extra training in spotting skills here - well, sorry, but expect to be corrected on things like that. If things like that aren't called out, then players will just become confused. 

3 hours ago, LukeFF said:

the nonsense assertion that sniper teams have extra training in spotting skills

'This is what I call a nonsense assertion.' If you can hit something at a range exceeding of what is expected from a qualified rifleman, you need to be trained into spotting at targets at longer ranges of what is expected from a qualified rifleman. This is not nonsense but logic. Combat Mission doesn't give them any more spotting abilities, but a little better than an Elite FO in Edge of Darkness in SF2. Test it out on the pillbox, Sniper gets a full contact the FO if you position him next to the man with the scoped rifle doesn't. I don't suck my playing experience out of my thumb.  

10 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

'This is what I call a nonsense assertion.' If you can hit something at a range exceeding of what is expected from a qualified rifleman, you need to be trained into spotting at targets at longer ranges of what is expected from a qualified rifleman. This is not nonsense but logic. Combat Mission doesn't give them any more spotting abilities, but a little better than an Elite FO in Edge of Darkness in SF2. Test it out on the pillbox, Sniper gets a full contact the FO if you position him next to the man with the scoped rifle doesn't. I don't suck my playing experience out of my thumb.  

Is that in the demo?

13 hours ago, womble said:

Is that in the demo?

Play Edge of Darkness in SF2 it happens every time. Here the sniper is Elite and has more spotting tools than anybody else. The FO has the same tools. I don't notice much difference between a Soviet Sniper in Red Thunder and a high-tech sniper in SF2. A German Crack Shot Sniper managed to miss a target 6 times at 360 meters in a different scenario. What you see in the game is not what you see. It seems in US English they don't differentiate between a Marksman and a Sniper here is what the problem is. I shot through Iron sights and scoped firearms. I can tell you if you don't have a sight picture you won't hit a target. The assumption that a trained sniper has been trained to spot is a fair one and not nonsense. Anyway, I bought the game to have fun in my retirement. I will post something about multipurpose machineguns feel free to criticize but I have researched the subject.