Force specific backgrounds

@umlaut

Hi Umlaut

I long since have your force specific backgrounds (those screens which pop up during scenario loading) for CMBN installed and recently found some others in the Mod Depot, which are just photo collections without the Combat Mission frame. I installed those together with your collection, with the result that I now get a mix of pic´s with and without frame as loading screens.
Now I wonder, if you would share a template for this frame, into which I can paste the pic´s without frame. My goal is obviously to have one set only and to have them all look similar in the end.

mSaMfpM.jpg

Dang, you got me confused for a while there!

I have been searching my hard drives for the original psd files for the these backgrounds, but couldn´t find them anywhere.

So then I checked my own CMBN mod folder and the only ones that were there were my original force-specific backgrounds - without the CMBN graphics (just phots and text). The only ones with the Battlefront CMBN logo and graphics were the ones I´ve made for CMFI. Even more confused, as I then began to seriously question my own memory.

Then I checked cmmods III - and it turns out that I actually didnt make those FSB´s. A guy named von Albert made the CMBN ones with the graphics - inspired by my mods for FI and RT! 😂
So you should really ask von Albert this question, but he doesnt seem to be member of the forums here. If you fail to find him, I could probably recontruct a psd file for BN, based on the ones I have for FI.

On 5/30/2021 at 9:05 PM, umlaut said:

So you should really ask von Albert this question, but he doesnt seem to be member of the forums here. If you fail to find him, I could probably recontruct a psd file for BN, based on the ones I have for FI.

Hi Umlaut,

I searched for "Herr von Albert" , but found nothing except the original mod. I.e., if you have time and patience, I would very much appreciate, if you could try to reconstruct a psd file. Actually, it would make sense to have something like that in the Mod Depot. IIRC, there is already a collection of the various CM logos, which would fit nicely to such a template.

On 6/4/2021 at 1:12 AM, umlaut said:

Hi Umlaut,

A big Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

I guess, now it's my turn to do something with it. Stay tuned, "I'll be back." 😎

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2021 at 1:12 AM, umlaut said:

Hi Umlaut

I am busy with the force specific backgrounds. Not quite finished yet, but that‘s a matter of days now.

Today I was even smart enough to realise that I need to save them as 16-Bit files in 1024x728.

However, my new backgrounds don‘t show up in the game. First I just added them to the existing in Z, but today I removed all except one new file from Z and got only the „in-Game“ backgrounds to see.

Any ideas?

19 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Hi Umlaut

I am busy with the force specific backgrounds. Not quite finished yet, but that‘s a matter of days now.

Today I was even smart enough to realise that I need to save them as 16-Bit files in 1024x728.

However, my new backgrounds don‘t show up in the game. First I just added them to the existing in Z, but today I removed all except one new file from Z and got only the „in-Game“ backgrounds to see.

Any ideas?

At the beach right now (but the view is very  CMBN, see below 😁), so answering from memory:

The numbering is very important. The file numbers have to be unbroken sequential. If for instance the background with the nummer 27 is missing, then all backgrounds with higher numbers will fail to load.

I cant remember how many original fsb there are, but if the highest numbers of those are for instance 17, there yours should start with number 18.

Hope this helps.

20210708_164111.jpg?dl=1

Edited by umlaut

6 hours ago, umlaut said:

At the beach right now (but the view is very  CMBN, see below 😁), so answering from memory:

The numbering is very important. The file numbers have to be unbroken sequential. If for instance the background with the nummer 27 is missing, then all backgrounds with higher numbers will fail to load.

I cant remember how many original fsb there are, but if the highest numbers of those are for instance 17, there yours should start with number 18.

Hope this helps.

20210708_164111.jpg?dl=1

Thx, JuJu. That helped a little and at least made me thinking again.

I had indeed a gap in my numbering, jumped from 90 to 101. But to fix it had only a meagre effect. Now, I see either the old FSB‘s or a black screen. Looks like CM find‘s something, but cannot display it. 

But: When remove the old FSB‘s and leave my new, I see only the in-game FSB‘s.

Another question came to my mind: Is there a required RGB setting? I now converted all FSB‘s to R5G6B5. The other options, which GIMP offers would have A1 and X1 values, too.

But for the time being: Enjoy the beach!😎

Hi again.
Back from the beach.
If the game finds something, but doesnt load the FSB´s correctly, I was thinking it must be down to some error with the properties of the bmp´s. So I checked my own FSB´s -and they are 24 bit. Have you tried changing them to that?

On 7/10/2021 at 7:00 PM, umlaut said:

Hi again.
Back from the beach.
If the game finds something, but doesnt load the FSB´s correctly, I was thinking it must be down to some error with the properties of the bmp´s. So I checked my own FSB´s -and they are 24 bit. Have you tried changing them to that?

My old (or your) FSB's are 16 bit and work, but meanwhile I tried 24 bit more systematically, too.  Unfortunately, with no effect. May I send you an example or two? Perhaps you can see what the issue is.

On 7/16/2021 at 5:56 PM, StieliAlpha said:

My old (or your) FSB's are 16 bit and work, but meanwhile I tried 24 bit more systematically, too.  Unfortunately, with no effect. May I send you an example or two? Perhaps you can see what the issue is.

My FSB' s are 24 bit. I'll send you a pm.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 7:56 PM, umlaut said:

My FSB' s are 24 bit. I'll send you a pm.

I finally came back to the project and managed to properly convert my FSB‘s  to 24bit. Indeed, now they show up in the game.

A few more working it I should have completed what I want to achieve.

However, some of the bmp‘s show strange effects in the game, which I don‘t see when I open them outside the game.

Would you mind to have a look those, once I am finished with all FSB‘s?

53 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

I finally came back to the project and managed to properly convert my FSB‘s  to 24bit. Indeed, now they show up in the game.

A few more working it I should have completed what I want to achieve.

However, some of the bmp‘s show strange effects in the game, which I don‘t see when I open them outside the game.

Would you mind to have a look those, once I am finished with all FSB‘s?

Sure :)