ZSU-23/4 Super Deadly

On 5/27/2021 at 7:21 PM, Halmbarte said:

For Airborne and Air mobile I believe.

Yep.  In the 82nd Airborne (1980s) our air defense unit would set up their towed Vulcans in the ballfield in front of our barracks (313 MI Bn).  They would track airplanes taking off and landing at nearby Pope Airforce base.  Of course they had no ammo but we always found it a little amusing that they were practicing on our own Airforce.  :D   

Posted (edited)

Is it really a smart move to have a vehicle that does it all? This is a strange design... Totally new direction for the military.

It's not even an APC anymore. It's a straight up combat machine.

Edited by Artkin

Be interesting to see how the new Stryker based AA vehicle does against drone swarms which will likely be a serious threat as the technology proliferates. Most if now all the civilian drones are made in China so the technology is widely available. 

The other potential threat is UAPs. So far it seems to be mostly a US Navy thing, but who knows. Awaiting the report that is slated to be released. Not expecting too much.

As an aside, the A-10 should be able to defeat the Shilka.  If I remember from early LOMAC days, the procedure was to fire the GAU-8 at 1.2Km or something and break off before reaching 1Km, in theory staying out of range.  I wonder if a real life Shilka commander might try and scare off an A-10 with innacurate/ineffective fire outside of this range if they thought they were about to be attacked though.  I myself would probably jump out.

• 4 weeks later...

I love AAA Gatling vehicles.  They hammer everything in CM.  If you were to replace the main gun on an M1 Abrams with those Gatling cannons , then let it pivot up 90+ degrees and add an armored ammo cart behind it, I think you might have a Mk. 1.0 Bolo (or maybe a Mk. 0.5).  The cannons don't kill tanks, but they blind them.  They chew up APCs and I won't even mention what they do to infantry, poor bastards.  They are a must have for clearing out city blocks.  But as was mentioned before, their Achilles heal is their ammo supply.

I once used a 1/2 dozen of them to help defend a town against an attack/assault QB.  I was doing great until some enemy helicopters showed up.  Dang AAA shot down all the helos and used up practically all of their ammo.  There went my uber-defense.  Lost the battle, but did I ever make the enemy pay for it.

5 hours ago, Probus said:

I love AAA Gatling vehicles.  They hammer everything in CM. 

The BTR 80 series (CMBS) with its fast firing 30mm is rather like that.  But, the min 15 sec TARGET interval is too long to let it fire.  It runs out of its 300 (HE+AP) rounds of ammo in well under 60 secs IIRC.  5 seconds fire is usually enuff for satisfactory results.

Edited by Erwin