Snipers

Snipers are not particularly performing well. 365 meters experience 'Crack!' Rifle Winchester .300 Magnum it took him 6 shots! Enjoy the show, I almost gave up on him.

I know the .300 Winchester Magnum is powerful, but I wouldn't shoot through a wall for a precision shot.

zhooter.png

Fortunately, Ahmed the RPG7 guy doesn't realize that snipers love them.

zhooterb.png

Rest in peace Ahmed you should have known better. 

zooterc.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 11:03 PM, chuckdyke said:

I know the .300 Winchester Magnum is powerful, but I wouldn't shoot through a wall for a precision shot.

Cool, because that doesn't happen in CM2, either. It's a limitation of the animation. 

Russian WW2 Snipers are doing OK they spot well and suppresses. Here is Comrade Dymov.

DymovA.jpg

He just spotted a Panzerschreck flash from a farmhouse. He just has fired 6seconds later. 

Dymov.jpg

Would have been a good shot but he suppressed the Panzerschreck.

DymovB.jpg

Who gets the credit Comrade Dymov or the T34? The T34 crew owe him a bottle of Vodka. 4 seconds later. 

DymovC.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I mostly use snipers for spotting with restricted firing arcs. I think the way it depicts their accuracy in actually hitting targets is fairly on point. I did have a PBEM game where I setup an Elite US marksman squad in a forest to spot out of, and it got bumrushed by Syrians. They peeled back to a cozy spot just before exiting the treeline and ended up shooting over a dozen Syrians coming through the brush. Not even sure they ever missed, but the lethality from what was basically a couple guys was pretty shocking. My opponent also never could make a spot on them despite the close proximity.

The .50cal rifles I'll let them shoot now and again. In SF2 they can sometimes penetrate BMPs. The conversational ricochet with its occupants is usually enough to make abandonment an agreeable choice.

3 hours ago, Khalerick said:

Elite US marksman squad... ended up shooting over a dozen Syrians

Yes, it's really fun having high quality snipers.marksmen if one has the right sort of map/terrain.  One technique that has worked well is give the unit 10-15 secs PAUSE in a good sniping position and then SLOW (or FAST if approrpiate) move to an alternate position plus another 10-15 sec PAUSE, and then repeat.  It's usual that he will kill one enemy per 10-15 second pause and then reload while moving.  That way the enemy never gets a lock on the sniper and he can gradually move around.

Have two wishes: 

1)  That CM3 will have a "Wait in Ambush, then Shoot and Scoot" command.  That would be useful for AFV's as well as snipers, ATGM crews, or any unit waiting in ambush.

2)  Some of the exotic ammo like 50 cal can be resupplied.  There is so much 50 cal in US vehicles.  Is that not the same as used in the sniper rifles?

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

Is that not the same as used in the sniper rifles?

Snipers get special match grade ammunition. For amateurs you achieve this by shooting store bought ammunition fire it once and resize only the neck of the case. Then you buy the bullets by trial and error which gives the best group at a given range. In the military reliability comes first at the expense of accuracy. Case in point the Italian Carcano rifle. If you are a handloader there is nothing wrong with this rifle, Lee Harvey Oswald was an accredited marksman, always wondered why he used this rifle. A Springfield would have been the obvious choice in the US.

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

if one has the right sort of map/terrain. 

You need to mask his activities once spotted they are a priority. I think this could be inside the AI battleplans. Players must do this manually, pause the game and work out your tactics. 

On 7/14/2021 at 8:22 AM, chuckdyke said:

You need to mask his activities once spotted they are a priority. I think this could be inside the AI battleplans. Players must do this manually, pause the game and work out your tactics. 

Yes, snipers are spotted and die too easily. Part of why I want a generic 'camouflage' cover that provides (invisible) Smoke like cover to units until they move or fire (exempting single shots).

In CMSF1 scenarios, I used to colocate a Spy with the Uncon Sniper (solo) to retrieve and use his rifle after rendering Buddy Aid when he quickly bought it. Alas, BFC stopped Spies retrieving weapons in SF2, no idea why.

5 minutes ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Part of why I want a generic 'camouflage' cover

In my opinion that should go with elite of any unit. Put a sniper in a building for starters he wouldn't shoot through open windows. Say a few minutes to prepare like making a keyhole. A rifle with a scope doesn't make a sniper, they need training too that maybe the reason they wouldn't allow it. We would end up making a different game. Like making a mission with objective finding key terrain to make a listening post. 

There are probably many ways to design for this effect, but yes:  a capable sniper ought to be a major pain in the arse to spot and winkle out, capable of forcing an entire platoon to ground and holding up an advance, as happened/happens a LOT in RL, especially in urban warfare or bocage/woodland warfare. Not simply spotted and plugged after his first couple of shots, as is common in game.

Edited by LongLeftFlank

2 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

a capable sniper ought to be a major pain in the arse to spot and winkle out

You need to make a different unit. For starters he should have a short cover arc in other words don't shoot till you give the orders manually. Shades don't play a role in this game. They could design something like thermal sight for a sniper scope but don't call it as such.  Your idea to have a special generic smoke which could be generated every time you give him a cover arc. He can fire but won't be spotted. When he moves with a cover arc it is on hunt or slow. A sniper should be expensive to purchase in the game. As such we don't have snipers in the game only marksmen. They shoot at anything to my chagrin. 

alphashot.jpg

As an afterthought let him plot an LOF like a 60 mm mortar which other riflemen can't. This simulates moving by stealth. 

Here is what I mean the TacAI let them shoot at anything in larger battles you can't think of anything all the time.

alphashotb.jpg

Edited by chuckdyke